Silly question: Throwline cube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get a some pics the next time I break it out.

No need to worry about isolating limbs too much with the wraptor I would think. Just get a line in a tree and anchor at the base?

I really enjoyed that Vid that you put up in the other thread. I may have to get one of those sooner than I had planned. I had thought about making something similar out of a chainsaw winch before. Looks like Paul did all the work in figuring it out already.

I'll get a some pics the next time I break it out.

No need to worry about isolating limbs too much with the wraptor I would think. Just get a line in a tree and anchor at the base?

I really enjoyed that Vid that you put up in the other thread. I may have to get one of those sooner than I had planned. I had thought about making something similar out of a chainsaw winch before. Looks like Paul did all the work in figuring it out already.

Like I said in the thread and JPS and Rope are demoing for 30 day trial. You should try it.

OK, I was messing around in the shop and decided to take some pics of my setup. As I had thought would happen, the edges of the plastic separator have curled up and will not lay flat. I haven't tried shooting a line yet so I'm not sure if this will interfere with the line paying out when I try to shoot it. We'll see. This is why I thought a burlap, hemp or even nylon flap would work better as it would not curl up and hold it's shape. If this doesn't work out I plan to find a softer, more pliable materiel to use as a separator. One of the benefits of the plastic separator is that it forms kind of a boat to hold the top line where you can lift the entire line out of the cube and shoot it as well as allows you to access the secondary line underneath quickly. Also, the cube deploys easier and faster with the added weight of another shot bag and line. Normally I have to jack with it and try to twist it in different directions to get it to open up. With the added weight it opens with one fluid motion.

dadbuck011-1.jpg

dadbuck013-2.jpg

dadbuck014.jpg

dadbuck015-2.jpg

Update: This idea didn't work worth a crap. It would work great with a flap made out of supple material like burlap or hemp. Hard to find feed sacks made out of that these days tho. A canvas flap would prolly work as well. Anything that is supple and would not hold it's shape would work for a simple separator.

Back to the drawing board...

I just stand on a corner of the cube to get it to open.

Your set up MD, looks like it will snag bigtime. Why not 2 cubes or keep 250 feet and if you get snagged just use the other end.....I do and keep 2 beanies in the cube.

Side note.....is Jeffy in that shoe picture? :kilt:

LOL, no not Jeffy.

Yes 2 cubes would work and I do use the end of my line a lot of the time but to tell the truth, I use my throwlines a lot. I sometimes use 2 in one tree or will preset one in a second tree while I've got the big shot and cube out. Sometimes I will set a climbing line and maybe even a lowering line in a tree then pull my ropes through and go ahead and get the lines set in another tree while I've got the big shot and cube out and ready to go. Seems to save some time. I've gotten to where I will even tell my #1 ground man to set a line ahead of me rather than see him stand around. He has progressed to the point where I can trust him with that.

I just stand on a corner of the cube to get it to open.

Your set up MD, looks like it will snag bigtime. Why not 2 cubes or keep 250 feet and if you get snagged just use the other end.....I do and keep 2 beanies in the cube.

Side note.....is Jeffy in that shoe picture? :kilt:

LOL. not Jeffy, that's my own boat...

And yes, it is snagging up bigtime, one big SNAFU, that's why I'm telling you to not try this at home kiddies... There's a better way.

I just use 5 gallon pails that are cut in half, they stack neatly and work well i usually keep 4 half pails and on full one in the truck i leave the handle on the full pail and if i need to advance a line to another tree or something in the tree my ground man can clove hitch onto the handle and send it up to me, this combined with one pouch on my saddle seems to do the trick nicely

A square of cloth cut to the size of your cube is probably going to be the easiest. Also it won't mess with your ability to fold the cube neatly. Painless and cheap. That's the way I'd go.

All the best!

-Josh

Remember also, If you do that (tying the rope back to the base of the tree) the pressure on the limb is doubled. Because the branch see's two equal weights on either side of the line.

A square of cloth cut to the size of your cube is probably going to be the easiest. Also it won't mess with your ability to fold the cube neatly. Painless and cheap. That's the way I'd go.

All the best!

-Josh

Ha, I was thinking the same thing when I was in the shop yesterday. I was looking at an old ripped denim shirt that I have hanging in there and thought I could prolly just cut a flap out of the back of the shirt and use it... I just hate cutting up a perfectly good work shirt... Even if it is ripped and old... LOL, I hate to throw anything away.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing when I was in the shop yesterday. I was looking at an old ripped denim shirt that I have hanging in there and thought I could prolly just cut a flap out of the back of the shirt and use it... I just hate cutting up a perfectly good work shirt... Even if it is ripped and old... LOL, I hate to throw anything away.

I hate to rain on the parade, but why are you guys reinventing the wheel?

I used to use the half depth 5 gal bucket method. Then, I found this:

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Storage_4/Throwline-Bag-1439

and use 2 of these:

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Storage_4/Frisbee-Cloth-654

This method works GREAT! I keep 3 lines in the same bag, separated into levels with the dividers. The bag has some convenient pockets and a drawstring closure.

I can't imagine a better workable throwline storage system now.

Personally, I have not had good results using any bag system. The cube is the best I have used so far. Love it for shooting, flaking and storing line. I just want something to separate my lines so I can store two. Thought I would ask for a collective opinion.

Personally, I have not had good results using any bag system. The cube is the best I have used so far. Love it for shooting, flaking and storing line. I just want something to separate my lines so I can store two. Thought I would ask for a collective opinion.

No prob... This bag has a rigid ring at the top and gets rid of the problems I had with past bag systems.

Thinking about your "shirt back" idea, the thing that makes these rings work so well is their semi-rigid perimeter. It makes them easier to pick up in the bag with a line flaked on top of them. They feel like they have a fairly stiff cord or rope seamed to the perimeter and the covered with a reinforced "band". Maybe your shirt-back, hemmed over a rope around the edges, would do the same thing!

I would say any divider that works, in your cube, like the Buckingham rings do in the "deluxe" bag, would be a great way to go...

Last edited:
Back