Silver Leaf Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moater

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in North Central Texas, I have a Silver Leaf Maple whose leaves have recently started turning brown from the edges inward. Any ideas on what may be causing this, and how it should be treated?

North central TX is a broad brush. Silver Leaf maple is native to eastern canada. Why people plant it in TX is lost to me.

I will wail on that pt another day.

Probably a combination of these 100+ days and basic soils.

I would try water and mulching under the tree. Hopefully you got some of the soaking rain the last few days. Sure was welcome here after the 110 last week.

Where north central?

Here in Austin I recommend cutting out all of that exercise and planting a proper tree for the site. Silver Maples are short lived here. If it doesn't die this year, it will....soon. That is just me. I tend to operate with the philosophy that trees should be a legacy for future generations to enjoy, not a liability for one's retirement nest egg.

When I look at trees on a property, I see assets that will contribute value or liabilities that are going to cost this property $$ in the near future.

Last edited:
I live in Dallas. In fact the tree has only been planted for 1 1/2 years, about 13 ft tall, and has thrived here until this last week. That's when I noticed the browning of the leaves.

Steady growth for 1.5 yrs is hardly thriving compared to the live spans of some TX trees. Silver Maples in TX generally live fast, die young, and don't have good looking corpses at their funerals. I would suspect some drought stress is involved.

You can do some things like mulching under the drip line, etc to help extend the life of the tree.

One of the guys from Arborilogical there in Dallas wrote a really good article on silver maples last year.

I would be interested in reading that article. Where could I find it? Thanks for all your help!

The newsletter was from here http://www.trees-isa.org/ goodluck finding it.

It doesn't offer anything I haven't already said. Unfortunately, I gave mine away.

Trees from eastern canada perform poorly in TX. Especially those that love cooler temps and and acidic pH.

This quote here
Drummond Red Maple (Acer Rubrum)
The most common maple is the silver leaf maple, which should not be planted here.

From http://www.950kprc.com/gardenline-dozentrees.html

Last edited:
Just listing my physical location. I am over here now looking for a job, talking to other tree industry people (Brudi, Freeworker, etc), escaping the TX heat, and......oh yeah - getting married.

Other than that, my business and myself are based out of Austin.

:)

Latest posts

Back