Silver Maple Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapleshade

Reaction score
Where to start...
I'm restoring an old one room schoolhouse which has a large silver maple growing very close. The tree has a circumference of 9ft at eye level, the main trunk goes up about 10-12 ft and then splits into 4 large branches which are about 12 to 18" dia., The tree is about 60-70' tall and 10' from the building(way too close). Two of the 4 main branches lean toward the building and over the roof.
The time has come for me to replace the roof, which will be standing seam tin, This type of roof is very expensive and will last forever but is not easily repaired if say a big-@$$ maple log falls from the sky.
The tree appears to be healthy but from what I've read on other posts here silver maples are quite brittle. Before I bought the building a smallish branch,
maybe 6" dia fell from high up and broke 3 rafters. not good.
So why save it? well, I really like it. It's an amazing tree, definitly the focal point outside, plus it's old(historic), I have photos of school kids in front of this tree dating back to the 20's . And it blocks the entire side of the building from the morning sun which really cools things down, in fact the name of the schoolhouse is MAPLESHADE NO.1
So...
Cabling might stop the 2 main branches but what about the little branches they support?
Can 2 of the 4 main branches (12-18"dia) be cut or will this kill it?
Good arborist in western PA?
Sorry this is so long
AJ

Hmmm...what to save? A historic school house or a huge weak wooded tree? I would have the Maple removed.

Elmore said:
I would have the Maple removed.
Elmore I wood have your mouth washed out with soap. The tree is a high-value landmark; cable the 4 leads together and pay someone once every 3 years or so to prune little branches. Worth it to retain a cooling namesake eh?

Removing the 2 leads would cause the trunk to rot and the risk to increase. Don't do it.
Reducing the leads can be done, with small-diameter cuts. If you post a picture you will get precise advice.

TreeCo said:
Of course an arborist like Elmore
Elmore's a breeder with a crazed lust for propagation, and a soft spot for old buildings.

Hey Elmore, want some grafitng advice?

I am neither an arborist or a breeder (at least not a plant breeder...the bark is too abrasive)...I am a horticulturist and at times a pragmatist too. I don't care how much cabling/bracing you do or how often a certified arborist comes out and adjusts this "soft maple", I believe that it will put a hurt on this little building. I recommend that you seek out the best qualified arborist you can afford to come out and apprize this tree, Heck...if the price was right I'd bet that Guy or maybe even Guy & Dan both would run up there give you a quote, a recommendation and do the tree work too.
Guy...grafitng advice? Like grafting your digital camera directly to TreeCo's PC ha ha...and I hope your talking about Safer Soap...Irish Spring is too harsh :p

Elmore said:
this "soft maple", I believe that it will put a hurt on this little building.
It's amazing that you can pronounce this inevitability without even seeing the building or the tree or even an image of either. You're goin arborphobic on us buddy--come baaack!

I'm just basing it on what I know of this species...weak wooded, prone to breakage, terribly invasive root system and woefully prodigious in it's reproduction...a noxious species in my book. Cut it down and replace it with some nice Ginkgoes. :)

Elmore said:
Cut it down and replace it with some nice Ginkgoes. :)
THat's a hard sell, Brad. yOu want them to lose their shade, aesthetics and namesake all to sell a frickintree?

No tree is a weed in all places; noxiousness is in the eye, ear, nose or throat of the beholder.

First having an arborist come out and do some reduction work on the parts of the tree over the house, then at the same time install some dynamic cables to keep the tree from coming apart.
Next, plant some better species of maple, like Sugar Maple for example, in the shade of the Silver Maple.
Be sure to take some pictures of your kids with the newly planted trees, so they can become historic some day too.
Then in time, when the Silver Maple needs to be removed, the new trees will have grown to a size that will make the loss more bearable.
Then, just to keep Elmore happy, plant a Ginko somewhere else on the property.

I didn't suggest a "sale" of any frickin' thing with the exception of the services of a qualified arborist but you have a point...as this tree, too, is historic and is the namesake of this little school house perhaps moving the building would be the best option...either that, remove the tree or keep their insurance in effect and expect the inevitable combination of tree failure/ building damage. Either the tree was allowed to grow too close to the building or the building was erected too close to the tree. A dangerous situation, whether historic or not, is still dangerous. Should we preserve the asbestos insulation found in old buildings due to the historic role it has played throughout time? Is it sound practice to allow people to continue living in luxury cliff homes on unstable Southern California cliffs knowing that they were built on an ancient landslide? I think not. No large tree should be planted or allowed to grow so near a relatively fragile wooden building, if one wishes to preserve the integrity of said building.

here are some pics.
I labeled the branches(leads?)1,2,3,4. 1 & 2 are the ones I'm worried about.
thanks for the info, this has become a huge dilemma.
AJ

No Problem

A good arborist could get that tree pruned in an hour or two. I see no defects.
Talking about removing whole leads or moving the building is extreme overreaction.

In the course of the brick work was the foundation disturbed/footings redug?

The top of the tree looks pretty thin--has it always been like that? I suspect dieback is starting from root stress.

Could you PLEASE spread some mulch under the tree? That bare ground look went out with hoop skirts. See "Mulching" in the link below.

The landscape could use another tree or two to replace the maple when it goes (not soon, we hope). Perhaps a ginkgo and a japanese maple.

Where in western PA are you? If you post an Arborist Wanted thread in the Commercial forum you may hear from one.

Latest posts

Back