Simonized 385 to Canada?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Will someone volunteer to bring the Simonized 385 up to Playinwood's GTG next Saturday so we can run it against the other 385s that will be there?

Thanks!

OMG!

118 views and not a single person willing to transport this saw from Woodsjukie's house up to Playinwood's to cut some cookies?

Why? Did Simon impose restrictions? Is he afraid of a direct comparison of a stock 385 versus a Simonized 385?

:rockn:

There will be a bone stock 385, actually a 2186 Jred at WJ's GTG. I think WJ is partially responsible for the saw in question, so that might be part of the reason.

Steve

Freakingstang said:
I think WJ is partially responsible for the saw in question, so that might be part of the reason.

Steve
Yeap saw only goes where I do sorry

I was thinking that Simon would want to get maximum exposure for this saw since he went through all the trouble of sending it out east. What a better time to run it than at gatherings of Arboristsite members, whether it's your own GTG or someone elses?

So Woodsjunkie, why are you not going out to Playinwood's this Saturday? As the recipient of the saw, it would make sense that you have an obligation to be there and if you can't, then allow someone who is going to bring the saw with them.

It would make sense that he'd give someone else a saw that was entrusted to his care?

It's honorable that he doesn't.

rmihalek said:
I was thinking that Simon would want to get maximum exposure for this saw since he went through all the trouble of sending it out east. What a better time to run it than at gatherings of Arboristsite members, whether it's your own GTG or someone elses?

So Woodsjunkie, why are you not going out to Playinwood's this Saturday? As the recipient of the saw, it would make sense that you have an obligation to be there and if you can't, then allow someone who is going to bring the saw with them.

Or you could just give it a rest and wait until WJ's GTG. There will be a couple big players there also.

rmihalek said:

Bob don't think to hard on it. Simon didn't send me this saw for me to send all over gods green earth and i don't believe he did it to promote saw sales he claims to have as much work as he cares for. He did it to prove he dose indeed port saws.
The only obligation i had was to give Simon's 385 a fair shake witch i did.

Nope i will not be going to Ontario and neither will the 385 if he wanted it their he would have told me to send it.
#1 its almost 600 miles for me.
#2 why would I want to go to a GTG and run against a bunch punched out saws just to be called a cheater if my saws and chains do well.
Thanks but no thanks I think I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out. Besides that i have a hangnail and i can't get my hair parted rite and I might be coming down with a cold:) .

If you want a good comparison to other builders 385's take a look at the first GTG results at jokers.
The same 066 that i ran their is the one I compared Simon's saw.
Hear are the results of the 0-100cc class

0-100 cc 2 cuts
Brain W 12.58
Paul W cut out
Andy S 21.08 sec
John L 11.48 sec
Rich H 12.73
Eric C 11.40
Larry C 11.69
Brent C 12.18
Chris C 16.19 sec
Sedanman 18.20 sec
Ed H 12.64 sec

0-100cc
1st Eric C 066 ?
2nd John L 066 he said it was stock
3 rd Larry C ?

As you can see my 066 was 1.24 sec. and gypos was 1.16 faster than an EHP 385 in "1" cut. Not to bad if you take into consideration that us wannabes had to run against the pros!
You can plainly see the 066's are no slouchs.
So it obvious if you take into consideration that the S 385 was on it's first tank of gas and not even close to being broke in, I'd say it runs quite well don't you think? some say it takes 30 days to run a saw in:dizzy:
IMO any 385 that will run with an 066 is doing something and is a he!! of a work saw.

Okay, that's a good perspective (and bit of a retrospective as well). I'll drop the topic and wait for the results from a future GTG. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Bob

rmihalek said:
OMG!

118 views and not a single person willing to transport this saw from Woodsjukie's house up to Playinwood's to cut some cookies?

Why? Did Simon impose restrictions? Is he afraid of a direct comparison of a stock 385 versus a Simonized 385?

:rockn:
What is your problem Bob? I don't know what you want from me.

woodsjunkie said:
Bob don't think to hard on it. Simon didn't send me this saw for me to send all over gods green earth and i don't believe he did it to promote saw sales he claims to have as much work as he cares for. He did it to prove he dose indeed port saws.

Nope i will not be going to Ontario and neither will the 385 if he wanted it their he would have told me to send it.
#2 why would I want to go to a GTG and run against a bunch punched out saws just to be called a cheater if my saws and chains do well.
Thanks but no thanks I think I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out. Besides that i have a hangnail and i can't get my hair parted rite and I might be coming down with a cold:) .

If you want a good comparison to other builders 385's take a look at the first GTG results at jokers.

0-100 cc 2 cuts
Brain W 12.58
Paul W cut out
Andy S 21.08 sec
John L 11.48 sec
Rich H 12.73
Eric C 11.40
Larry C 11.69
Brent C 12.18
Chris C 16.19 sec
Sedanman 18.20 sec
Ed H 12.64 sec

0-100cc
1st Eric C 066 ?
3 rd Larry C ?

As you can see my 066 was 1.24 sec. and gypos was 1.16 faster than an EHP 385 in "1" cut. Not to bad if you take into consideration that us wannabes had to run against the pros!
So it obvious if you take into consideration that the S 385 was on it's first tank of gas and not even close to being broke in, I'd say it runs quite well don't you think? some say it takes 30 days to run a saw in:dizzy:
IMO any 385 that will run with an 066 is doing something and is a he!! of a work saw.

Good post Eric :cheers:

woodsjunkie said:

Eric.....2 things I want to point out. First....at the gtg that followed, ehp's 385's ran a second faster than all the same saws......hahahaha! You're right! something changed. Could it be those 385's aren't 385's anymore? (like you said punched out)....hahahaha!

Second.....a modded 385 should run with a stock 066. Simon's saw IMO should have been compared with a stock 385 to see what the difference is.

Later Dennis

Simonizer said:
What is your problem Bob? I don't know what you want from me.
Simon! Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean Bob's not out to get you!:)
If you would just sit back, **** and go for the ride you might be Canada's new up and coming saw builder. Or do you want to join HT and the TJ's?:dizzy:
John

Freakingstang said:
There will be a bone stock 385, actually a 2186 Jred at WJ's GTG. April 1st
Steve
This should help with the bone stock comparison. Freakingstang you want to borrow one of my domed chevy piston for your stock 385 rebuild.
dazed011.gif
Looking foward to meeting you all there.
woohoo.gif

Cut4fun said:
This should help with the bone stock comparison. Freakingstang you want to borrow one of my domed chevy piston for your stock 385 rebuild.
dazed011.gif
woohoo.gif
How about a modded 372XP to run against a stock MS660. The 372 is not a work saw.

woodsjunkie said:

0-100 cc 2 cuts
Brain W 12.58
Paul W cut out
Andy S 21.08 sec
John L 11.48 sec
Rich H 12.73
Eric C 11.40
Larry C 11.69
Brent C 12.18
Chris C 16.19 sec
Sedanman 18.20 sec
Ed H 12.64 sec

0-100cc
1st Eric C 066 ?
3 rd Larry C ?

Thanks Eric.

Cut4fun said:
dazed011.gif
woohoo.gif

Thanks for the offer, but I'm using a dished piston from a Ford. It will help lower the compression enough for my twin turbo setup.... :laugh:
looking forward to meeting you guys, too. I just think I have to many saws to bring.....

I'll have to bring the stock 066 with a dual port muff, can even bring the single port cover for real comparisons.....

and the 2186....

and I need to try my "Freaky" 372 out against a few others

and a little "freaky" dolmar if I can get it together in time.

And I have a 365 that I have a hand at that I would like to compare to a stock 372 if anyone has one kicking around......

Of coarse, I need to figure out how to sharpen a real chain before the event.....

Latest posts

Back