Simple system for drying green wood...fast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I confess...I stack wood very close to my stove continuously. Started doing it in the late 80's after I bought one of those silly looking hoops from Goodwill for a buck.

This year I abruptly re-entered the world of wood heat after a long hiatus. Glad I did. Wonderful heat, good for the body and soul. So, just started putting up wood in September, although I do have access to some well seasoned stuff thru friends as well. I have almost two cords stacked up inside the heated space, and a little 20 inch box fan does miracles. The stove is basically curing it's own wood supply as we progress thru a (thankfully) mild winter.

Too many insurance agents and lawyers in this country promoting "fear" to serve their own agendas. I am not afraid, nor am I stupid. Never set anything ablaze using wood appliances in my entire life (except for the fuel inside the box!)

Now, that locust and oak don't exactly smell like roses while they cure. I guess there IS a downside....

Whatever works for a guy is alright by me. Not here to judge or to be judged.

Will do. I can repeat the experiment and re-split.

Ok, by stihlrookie's request, Tuesday I split another 16" piece:
moist4in.jpg

Measured 33% moisture after being split:
moist33.jpg

After 72 hours, I could not get a reading on the outside..read 00% everywhere on the outside even when jamming it:
moist00.jpg

On the inside, (for those of you not standing on your head it reads 12%):
moist12.jpg

For what it's worth.

Last edited:
Answer

I live in a area where if you don't burn chunks of Oak 24 x 12 inch you don't know how to build a fire. People cry about things if it's not there way. I like your test I like it when people can take the time to get out of the ditch and look around. I was in England for a company I work for and I remember there firewood was 6 x 6 inch chunks the stove they had had the lid on the top just open and drop in didn't think any thing that it was neat. A different way that work for them. Don't even know what kind of wood that little stove keep a 2 story home comfortable and they cooked on the top some times like a big pot of soup. They had a ice box on the back porch. I hadn't seen a ice box in 45 years. I was very impressed with the fellows life style.

The wood they burn in Europe is the size of the wooden toy blocks I played with as a kid.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back