Skid Steer Log Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don't like the splitters that stick out straight in front of the skidsteer. While I've not used this design, on the face of it it seems to me like the quick attach plate would block the view of the log you're trying to split.<br />
<br />
The one design I like is the one in the photo. <br />
<br />
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
With this you have the choice of having the splitter parallel to the ground and approaching the round from the side of the round or you can raise the skidsteer arms and tip the splitter down such that you can come down over the log like an upside down splitter. You have the best of both worlds.<br />
<br />
I'll likely make one like this.
<br />
<br />
I like this one too, if I was going to make one it would be like this, transverse to the machine that way you don't have this beam cantilevering out 6-8 feet.

That looks like a nice versatile one.

This is how we built ours to go on pallet forks that seemed simpler and stronger than a plate. Just narrow up the forks and drop in 2 hitch pins. Use either way. It upside down in the pic.

aefd8912-d8f0-bd1a.jpg

I thought I would revive this thread a little. Its been few years and some new skid steer splitters out there. This "tire to tire loader splitter" is nice as it can split both upside down and facing forward just by rolling the stick like you would a bucket. It may be possible to build one but not sure after its all said and done if its worth the price? I know these welded 5x36 cylinders are a chunk of change alone around $800-$900.

We bought one two years ago. Before considering one of them remember You tube is your friend and watch the vids. Biggest draw back to any of them in my opinion is the skid steer flat tears the heck out of the area your are working, ya you can back drag and bla bla bla but sometimes you just half to be there,,. Second draw back is they are slow for anything you can pick up and toss on a regular splitter. If you consider the upside down unit like ours be sure that the cylinder is protected like ours unless you are the world's most carefull skidsteer operator. Wham that cylinder down on an object just once and the rod is bent, at the least.
In my opinion no matter the design any of them are a god send for big ugly wood,,,, and of little value for anything else.
The one we have is similar to this
View attachment 305853

Latest posts

Back