skid steers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found a used rc-30

Local dealer has one, called it a demo unit.. 3-400 hours.. Wants 12,000 for it... I was thinking it would be a good machine for cleaning up stump chips and backfilling with top soil.. Might be worth it. I'd also need a dump trailer..
I'll demo it if I get this job I looked at today. I AM sure it would come in handy on the ocasional tree job as well, though I AM a bit concerned about the lifting capacity being so light... MAy be better to hold out for a 50..

Local dealer has one, called it a demo unit.. 3-400 hours.. Wants 12,000 for it... I was thinking it would be a good machine for cleaning up stump chips and backfilling with top soil.. Might be worth it. I'd also need a dump trailer..
I'll demo it if I get this job I looked at today. I AM sure it would come in handy on the ocasional tree job as well, though I AM a bit concerned about the lifting capacity being so light... MAy be better to hold out for a 50..

holdoutholdoutholdoutdidyoujustseethatbird?holdoutholdoutholdholdoutholdou

You should wait and get the bigger machine.

holdoutholdoutholdoutdidyoujustseethatbird?holdoutholdoutholdholdoutholdou

You should wait and get the bigger machine.

Wait, I thought you had a mini? You don't think a machine that's 1000 lbs heavier than most minis is worth it?

I drove a used RC50 today but am still thinking about the RC30. It sure would be nice to only be hauling around 3,000 lbs instead of 6,000.

And, the price difference looks nice too.

Wait, I thought you had a mini? You don't think a machine that's 1000 lbs heavier than most minis is worth it?

I drove a used RC50 today but am still thinking about the RC30. It sure would be nice to only be hauling around 3,000 lbs instead of 6,000.

And, the price difference looks nice too.

I thought we were talking mini. I don't know, mine is a 425, a bigger unit for the Toro line I think. It weighs 2000 pounds and I think its just suitable. Anything less might not earn its keep.
These you are talking about sound bigger, got a pic? Some of the bobcat versions do look nasty. I think toro goes to 625.

I thought we were talking mini. I don't know, mine is a 425, a bigger unit for the Toro line I think. It weighs 2000 pounds and I think its just suitable. Anything less might not earn its keep.
These you are talking about sound bigger, got a pic? Some of the bobcat versions do look nasty. I think toro goes to 625.

Here's the RC50:

Here's mine
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It weighs about 6,000 lbs, has 60" wide tracks, and can lift 1800 lbs. The RC30 is only 3,000 lbs, is only 46" wide and can only lift 800 lbs.

Here's the 50 and 30 side by side:

RC30.RC50TE.jpg

Here's the RC50:

It weighs about 6,000 lbs, has 60" wide tracks, and can lift 1800 lbs. The RC30 is only 3,000 lbs, is only 46" wide and can only lift 800 lbs.

RC30.RC50TE.jpg

thanks. The numbers had me cornfused. They still are light compared to real skid steers? The 30 seems like its rated like my mini 425.

Most regular skids are 6,000 plus. Mine is 5400 without the tracks and over 6000 with the tracks. Lift with the tracks is around 1800lbs on my 763 Bobcat. Of course that is without the counterweight package.

DSCN2122.jpg

Last edited:
Most regular skids are 6,000 plus. Mine is 5400 without the tracks and over 6000 with the tracks. Lift with the tracks is around 1800lbs on my 763 Bobcat. Of course that is without the counterweight package.

DSCN2122.jpg

What are ya talkin' about there's the weight package right there. Oh, forgot that's not a factory option weight pack.

been there and still do that.

My 843b is around 8k but it can lift 3k which is very nice when you want to load 25' logs. We just did 3- 100' + white pines today and loaded them all on the gooseneck in 20' + lengths.

You have created a niche with your grinder. Getting into small place taking care of the work in an expediate manner. If you get a mini, say a boxer or toro what have you. You can continue to fill that niche. Market it to the tree services that take on the difficult backyard removals.

We have an A300 bobcat and a boxer mini. The boxer leaves the yard everyday, no matter what we are doing.

My 843b is around 8k but it can lift 3k which is very nice when you want to load 25' logs. We just did 3- 100' + white pines today and loaded them all on the gooseneck in 20' + lengths.

The specs on bobcats site says it weighs around 6500 or so....

843B
Horsepower 54 HP
Turbocharged Engine N/A
Rated Operating Capacity (SAE) 1700 lbs
ROC with Counterweight Option N/A
Tipping Load 3420 lbs
Operating Weight 6480 lbs

I found my Cat 246 which weighs just over 7000 lbs and is rated at 2000Lb lift easily picks up 3000+ lb logs.Ive lifted the front of my diesel pickup(4300 lbs) 6 ft in the air with the pallet forks under the plow frame with it,so I know it is way underrated. The thing with the SS is to not try to descend any hills when your over your ROC by 50% or more:greenchainsaw:

The specs on bobcats site says it weighs around 6500 or so....

843B
Horsepower 54 HP
Turbocharged Engine N/A
Rated Operating Capacity (SAE) 1700 lbs
ROC with Counterweight Option N/A
Tipping Load 3420 lbs
Operating Weight 6480 lbs

I found my Cat 246 which weighs just over 7000 lbs and is rated at 2000Lb lift easily picks up 3000+ lb logs.Ive lifted the front of my diesel pickup(4300 lbs) 6 ft in the air with the pallet forks under the plow frame with it,so I know it is way underrated. The thing with the SS is to not try to descend any hills when your over your ROC by 50% or more:greenchainsaw:

Operating capacity is rated at 50% of the tipping load on tire machines. My 1500lb rated machine will lift over 3000lbs with the tracks on.

Operating capacity is rated at 50% of the tipping load on tire machines. My 1500lb rated machine will lift over 3000lbs with the tracks on.

I was aware of that,just as my 2K machine easily lifts 4000 lbs. I was just stating with mine when you get over 50% over the 2K capacity,around 3k on my machine,you need to be careful lifting downhill,as it gets hairy if your not careful.

You must have tracks and weights on it? But yeah, that's the way to do it.

No tracks but its got a good amount of counter weight off the back (Underneath) The previous owner added the weight and told me the machine scaled out around 8k but I never checked the BOBCAT sight or anything. I know for a fact that it will pick over 3k though. I will often check the scale on the crane to see what certain picks weigh for future reference and plenty of those picks are over 3k and the 843b loads them no problem.

Just be sure the hoses and arms of the machine can actually take the punishment. Blown hoses spraying hot hydraulic fluid in someones face is not pretty. And even though hoses are easily replaced, broken pins and arms of the machine are very costly. The machines have their limitations for a reason. Be careful. :cheers:

Just be sure the hoses and arms of the machine can actually take the punishment. Blown hoses spraying hot hydraulic fluid in someones face is not pretty. And even though hoses are easily replaced, broken pins and arms of the machine are very costly. The machines have their limitations for a reason. Be careful. :cheers:

95% percent of the hydraulic lines are enclosed in compartments or under belly pans. Besides those lines can withstand alot more pressure then my bobcat could even think about putting out. They underate these machines for obvious liability issues, and when dealing with the sue happy society we live in I can't blaim them for doing so.The machine handles the weight just fine with out any broken pins or bent anything in the last 4 years I have owned it anyway. The other obvious reason for the lower lift ratings are to compensate for the idiot with out enough common sense to make reasonable decisions on what is and is not safe to lift.

A300

You have created a niche with your grinder. Getting into small place taking care of the work in an expediate manner. If you get a mini, say a boxer or toro what have you. You can continue to fill that niche. Market it to the tree services that take on the difficult backyard removals.

We have an A300 bobcat and a boxer mini. The boxer leaves the yard everyday, no matter what we are doing.

I have an A300 and love it.Ive had it almost 2 years.I use it for snow plowing 1 yard bucket and have forks.

As I said in an earlier post, the RC50 can lift 3600lbs no problem. When on non level surface 3000lbs is a good safe measure. The RC30 can lift 1600lbs no problem and I would say around 1200lbs would be a good safe measure on unlevel surfaces.

Another thing to consider is how high is your dump truck and what is the lift height the skid loader will load it.The RC30 will not lift high enough to stack log lengths in a medium duty dump with a debris body. Would be ok for a dump trailer though. however, youll find that dump trailer will be filled in no time.This load was loaded with an RC50. The RC30 would not fully load the top layers
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back