Skidding winch for the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few days ago, I asked a friend to come over and help me clean the hazard tree's out of my back woods, and we got started with this one,

Resized-20200803-135601-6151-S.jpg

We ran a line then heavy rope over the broken tops and limbs, hooked it to my skidding winch and winched them down,

IMG-3137-S.jpg

Then we cut the tree down,

IMG-3140-S.jpg

With THAT tree down, to repeated the same winching operation on the other tree's around it with the same problem,

IMG-3141-S.jpg

and cut them down, one by one until we got to this one, that my buddy had to climb to get the winch line in it,

IMG-3142-S.jpg

With those two down, we hooked onto the one behind it,

IMG-3148-S.jpg

and once it was down, we quit for the day!

NOW, to winch out the mess we left behind, as there's a LOT of firewood and even a few saw logs to deal with!

SR

Hey guys, time to revive this thread :happy: .
Used my winch a bunch on a job the last couple weeks.
Hope you've all been well.

I am well, winch not so much. Last outing about a week ago pulling a 3000# red oak log that dug in along its journey.

IMG_6263.JPGIMG_6265.JPG

I need to install a pressure relief valve on the next go around.

Ron

I am well, winch not so much. Last outing about a week ago pulling a 3000# red oak log that dug in along its journey.

View attachment 905083View attachment 905084

Ron
Wow, that's a bummer.
Friday I finally installed a new clutch in mine, been dealing with it for 5-6yrs now, now I need to get a new engagement pull rope. Excited to see how it does.
20210430_171935.jpg20210430_181131.jpg

A few days ago, I asked a friend to come over and help me clean the hazard tree's out of my back woods, and we got started with this one,

Resized-20200803-135601-6151-S.jpg

We ran a line then heavy rope over the broken tops and limbs, hooked it to my skidding winch and winched them down,

IMG-3137-S.jpg

Then we cut the tree down,

IMG-3140-S.jpg

With THAT tree down, to repeated the same winching operation on the other tree's around it with the same problem,

IMG-3141-S.jpg

and cut them down, one by one until we got to this one, that my buddy had to climb to get the winch line in it,

IMG-3142-S.jpg

With those two down, we hooked onto the one behind it,

IMG-3148-S.jpg

and once it was down, we quit for the day!

NOW, to winch out the mess we left behind, as there's a LOT of firewood and even a few saw logs to deal with!

SR
Is that it Rob o_O .
I hope for your sake he was doing the larger portion of the work, and you were the operator/picture taker :).
I "milled"(cut them to length lol) up some locust post for my chicken coop to rest on this week and installed them, the green lumber was from a deck tear out, with the price of lumber you gotta do what you can to save a buck, and replacing the clutch wasn't cheap either.
20210504_193728.jpg

Ron
I'm wondering what brand winch that is? How much is it rated to pull?

SR

Is that it Rob o_O .
I hope for your sake he was doing the larger portion of the work, and you were the operator/picture taker :).
I "milled"(cut them to length lol) up some locust post for my chicken coop to rest on this week and installed them, the green lumber was from a deck tear out, with the price of lumber you gotta do what you can to save a buck, and replacing the clutch wasn't cheap either.
These days, lumber is so high, reclaiming some lumber is a real money saver!!

I built some book case modules out of 3/4" MDF at $29 a sheet... I was thinking of building some more, so I went back and the MDF is now $86 a sheet!! There's NO WAY I'll pay that!

How much was that clutch??

SR

These days, lumber is so high, reclaiming some lumber is a real money saver!!

I built some book case modules out of 3/4" MDF at $29 a sheet... I was thinking of building some more, so I went back and the MDF is now $86 a sheet!! There's NO WAY I'll pay that!

How much was that clutch??

SR
It's ridiculous!
Buddy I was talking to yesterday went to snag up a couple green 2x8x16 and they were around 100, each :surprised3:.
Sure wish this locust was straighter. Did you get any good boards out of that last load I gave you.
I think I have a piece of MDF in the basement if you need it.

I get "good" boards out of EVERY log I mill, it's just that some aren't very long!! ha ha

Thanks for the MDF offer, I think I'll just mill some 5/4 x 12 boards out of a white pine that I have and use them...

Glad you got that winch fixed up, they are just so handy to have!!

SR

Did someone say locust? This may be the best stand of dead locust I've ever stumbled on. A shame it's so steep. The winch doesn't care. My son dragging the chokers and cable does.

SheaView attachment 905282
Dead, that one still has bark on it lol.
My woodshed is almost filled for 2021/22 and 22/23, sure it's more than 80% black locust :sweet:.

Been looking for a hydraulic winch for years, this spring at an auction sale I found one. Looks like it’s never been used. 8000lb superwinch. Anyone familiar with them?

Project for next winter I guess, build a skidding winch for my mx5000 tractor. Already has a decent piece of steel to start with.
bd2ce269c23506d95248e53d8b9580a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking for a hydraulic winch for years, this spring at an auction sale I found one. Looks like it’s never been used. 8000lb superwinch. Anyone familiar with them?

Project for next winter I guess, build a skidding winch for my mx5000 tractor. Already has a decent piece of steel to start with.
bd2ce269c23506d95248e53d8b9580a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks like a rugged winch. I am not sure if it is the same model, but here is a manual link. https://superwinch.nl/media/attachment/file/h/8/h8p_h10_pro_gebruikers_handleiding.pdf

Since my Mile Marker grenaded and replacement parts are months out, I picked up a similar Warn. I also took the time to redesign some things and wrap the new winch with synthetic rope. End goal is to fix the Mile Marker and reinstall it as a bottom winch to do the dirty stuff. If the Warn freewheeling would loosen up some, I could pull two winch lines down the hill at a time which could save me a lot of walking and time.

I made a little UV and mud flap to provide some protection to the line when not in use. The Mile Marker with a steel cable and roller fairlead will slide in the empty HUMVEE mount below the Warn.
IMG_6360.JPGIMG_6361.JPGIMG_6362.JPG

Ron

I just used mine pulling a huge maple over that was mostly rotten. Haven't used it much since high school wrestling season started. Clean up has been handled by the grapple so the winch hasn't been needed. I have roughly 10-12 dead blow downs to pull out in one area....but it's still wrestling season. My log pile has started to become an addiction, at some point I'll have to cut and split. I may end up with a huge enough pile to rent a processor for a day.

Shes

Doing well here Ron, Thanks.
How you been.
Haven't done anything with the winch in a while.
Did this one not long after the job I posted on the last page.
10:55-1:02 first to last picture. Obviously there was setup time and some strapping the load down, then coming back for the tractor, and unloading the trailer lol. Still a productive day, the wife and kids did a nice job helping load the brush.
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.00.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.00.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.01.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.01.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.04.33 PM.png

Here's the load I pulled out.
I'll get in touch with Rob, I was just thinking of him earlier this week when I was on the tractor, I haven't heard from him in a while.
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.16.26 PM.png

The boy got attacked by the "snowflakes" lol.

Other than pulling a tree or two while falling, I haven’t done much. No skidding yet as parts are not in to fix my cable winch and I am reluctant to test the durability of the synthetic rope in skidding conditions. A designed built winch like you guys have seems to be far better than my home built set-up.

Ron

Other than pulling a tree or two while falling, I haven’t done much. No skidding yet as parts are not in to fix my cable winch and I am reluctant to test the durability of the synthetic rope in skidding conditions. A designed built winch like you guys have seems to be far better than my home built set-up.

Ron
As for me, cable is the only choice in the woods. To many obstructions to damage synthetic. Concerning a dedicated and designed skidding winch, they are engineered to do their job well. My Igland is almost bulletproof. I actually cut out the guard/cage that surrounds the spool. I always try to buy the best tool I can to begin with so that I don't have to buy it later......but I lucked up with finding the winch. If you look long enough, one always shows up.

Shea

This has got to be the ultimate skidding winch, if for nothing but price. I bought it about 40 years ago at a declining-price auction from a marine consignment place for something ridiculous like $35, complete with cable; I suspect it was a barge winch of some application. It came with no frame, just the winch drum, gear/brake box, hydraulic motor which was worn out, but everything else in it was indestructible. I tried it on my MF85 and it didn't work, so it got left in the blackberries until I traded the old Massey on a new Kubota L3400 about 2010.

I built a 4X4X1/4 angle frame for it, put a new hydraulic motor on it (which took some clever welding, plus hydraulic calculations) and put it to work. Used on the Kubota nothing stops it, either the log comes or the tractor is dragged to the log--but the winch will not stall. I run the tractor hydraulics up near 2700 psi maximum.

I'd have to double check, but I think it has 7/8 cable on it; certainly at least 3/4. The drum is about 20" side-flange diameter, 16" wide; inside diameter about a foot. Two hand-wheels on the gear box, one to release a drive dog inside so the drum free-wheels, another to apply a band brake to the bull gear. Properly maintained, I could not ever put the slightest amount of wear on it--and nobody before I owned it could either, except for the hydraulic motor.

The pics were taken last year when modifying it for a Quick-Hitch I'd just bought. Before it was painted.

Attachments

• tempImageMkjSM5.png
    tempImageMkjSM5.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImageZtf07P.png
    tempImageZtf07P.png
    10.5 MB · Views: 33
Back