Skil 1690 restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this far today. Carburetor/air cleaner not installed till I make a new intake manifold. Got all the new fuel lines in the tank, fabbed up braces for the upper wrap handle and the bucking spike. That last one was a pain, getting the two 45s just right--first attempt ended up being way short. And I managed to smash my thumb in all this. Thanks to Lee for providing the brace dimensions.

Still have to clean up the new braces and hardware. Rather rusty looking.

Notice I used a Mac recoil grip. I don't have the right style and I figured I would use a part from a good old US made saw instead of some generic handle. If anybody has the right grip I can acquire, let me know. Pretty sure it is the same as a Canadien.

To be multi-national, a Stihl 045 donated the Fairbanks-Morse starter guts.

Chris B.

skil1690_16.jpg

skil1690_15.jpg

skil1690_14.jpg

skil1690_13.jpg

Sorry for not saying anything sooner, but I've been following this project and all I can say is "AWESOME"!!

I just acquired a PM 275 carcass which I believe is the Canadien equivalent of your saw (I do see some minor differences though). I'll have to see if there's enough left of mine to consider making a runner.......It's all apart in a box mixed with a bunch of Mac 73 parts!:dizzy:

Sorry for not saying anything sooner, but I've been following this project and all I can say is "AWESOME"!!

I just acquired a PM 275 carcass which I believe is the Canadien equivalent of your saw (I do see some minor differences though). I'll have to see if there's enough left of mine to consider making a runner.......It's all apart in a box mixed with a bunch of Mac 73 parts!:dizzy:

Not quite an equivalent saw. The 275 is 122cc, my 1690 is 139cc. There are other differencs, none major. If that 275 doesn't work out for you, send me the foothold bolted to the starter. My saw is rather naked without it.

Have you located stickers/decals yet?

There are none to be had. Lee sent me pictures and measurements, so I'll see about getting some made up.

Chris B.

It's good to hear from you. And thanks, it was pretty ruff when I started. Can't do much for the handlebar, but at least the the grip is still there.

About 30cc larger than the 700D. 139cc vs. 107cc

Chris B.

Got my piece of 3/4" aluminum in to replace this cracked manifold:

skil1690_22.jpg

With this (already bolted on):

skil1690_21.jpg

The original manifold used hex bolts recessed into the plastic for the carb mounting studs. I chose to simply tap the aluminum for standard studs.

Carb bolted on:

skil1690_20.jpg

And the air cleaner assembly:

skil1690_19.jpg

Saw looks like business now. I think I'll fire it up tomorrow.

skil1690_18.jpg

That is a outstanding labor of love. I sure hope to see it at a GTG this summer.

Bill

Chris, that manifold turned out well. You done a nice job on it. :msp_thumbsup:

It was a bit tough Mark, took me better than 3 hours. Dremel got so hot I had to quit using it and resorted to files. Got a little wild at one point and nearly sliced thru the intake port to the impulse hole. A good gasket covers all manner of sin.

Chris B.

It'a a runner---after removing the carburetor a half dozen times to adjust this and that. It popped right off but then started flooding thru the muffler. Checked the lever, replaced the two-piece pumping diaphragm with a one-piece. Lever was out of whack, so I readjusted that. Then I had to enlarge the impulse port hole in the manifold gasket as there seemed to be some interference. Got it running better but still leaned out at WOT. Replaced the pop-off spring with a lighter one and replaced the needle with a steel-tipped one--didn't seem right to have a rubber seat AND a rubber needle tip. All this finally got the carby in an adjustable range for this saw and it'll run rich now. This saw is totally ungoverned, so I'll have to be a bit careful of over-speeding.

Anyway, the manual-oiler works, auto-oiler works, and believe it or not, the primer works.

Sorry if the video is sideways, wasn't thinking of that at the time.

Chris B.

Link.

<iframe width="550" height="452" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2SMKoBv3DiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back