Skil 1690 restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure like the way that big bore counts'em off, great job on that bad boy. Is that aluminum shroud around the jug stock?

That seems to be an awfully short stroke, bet she likes to rev.

Sure like the way that big bore counts'em off, great job on that bad boy. Is that aluminum shroud around the jug stock?

That seems to be an awfully short stroke, bet she likes to rev.

Yep, the removable aluminum shroud is stock. Pretty common on the canadian-made saws--Pioneer and PM. I've seen some pretty badly cracked and worn thru by vibration. This one is in good shape.

Don't know about the revs--yet. I need a chain for this bar. I have nothing for this saw.

Chris B.

Damn!!! I've been following this thread from the git-go and didn't
even know or had even heard of this saw!!! OP very nice to me!!

What a GREAT restoration!!!...and the sound in video....WOWWW!!

Such a quiet "sleeper" idle...then pull the throttle...instant rpms!!!!
Just color me....freakin' blown away amazed..!!!! Definite BIG balls there!!!

Again SUPER restoration...you really know all about what you're doing!!
:cheers:
J2F

Nice work Chris - that saw is a beast for sure! Love that General NOS bar - that is a great find in itself.

Well done on a great rebuild thread.

Regards,

Chris.

That General bar is 1 of 5 I picked up off Ebay. I got 3 of the 36" bars (.050 gauge) roller nose, 1 28" Mac mount roller nose but missing the nose (I have a couple), a 1 28" hardnose 5/16" slot--may be for Pioneers. All of them NOS.

I plan to send 2 of the 36" bars off to have them regrooved to .063 gauge. Lot more chain options at that width.

Chris B.

Damn!!! I've been following this thread from the git-go and didn't
even know or had even heard of this saw!!! OP very nice to me!!

What a GREAT restoration!!!...and the sound in video....WOWWW!!

Such a quiet "sleeper" idle...then pull the throttle...instant rpms!!!!
Just color me....freakin' blown away amazed..!!!! Definite BIG balls there!!!

Again SUPER restoration...you really know all about what you're doing!!
:cheers:
J2F

I aim to please. What was nice was the ease of fitting standard bearings and seals to this saw. Every bearing and seal is new.

If somebody wants all the part numbers, I'll post them up.

Chris B.

Now that's something I've gotta see. Bet you could win some beer money running it against some stock 880s and 3120s. It'd put any stock 090 on the trailer too I wager...:cheers:

JJ said the 090 will have an edge over the 1690. Check out the first thread on Lee's 1690. Not his thread, the one before asking who bought the thing on Ebay.

I suspect when you get into these cubes, the numbers and times are all academic. They are all big-ass saws that will get the job done.

Chris B.

That General bar is 1 of 5 I picked up off Ebay. I got 3 of the 36" bars (.050 gauge) roller nose, 1 28" Mac mount roller nose but missing the nose (I have a couple), a 1 28" hardnose 5/16" slot--may be for Pioneers. All of them NOS.

I plan to send 2 of the 36" bars off to have them regrooved to .063 gauge. Lot more chain options at that width.

Chris B.

Wow - 5 NOS bars!!!!!!!

Thats awesome Chris. Good idea about the regrooving - will make them accessible to the more regular chain size. The big 1690 is a rare machine (never ever seen one of those out here - only the smaller Skil saws), and your build is doing it great justice.

Lets see her running!

Regards,

Chris.

Lets see her running!

Regards,

Chris.

I did have it running. See the video I posted. If you mean cutting, I managed to fit a 28" bar to the saw and took it out to clean up a little storm blowdown. Got 10 minutes into cutting and the saw quit. Would only pop once in a while when I tried to restart. I'm betting the coil went belly-up. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason the saw was put away before I bought it.

I've already located a new coil and will replace it.

For the short time it did run, it sure sounded awesome and clearly the saw wanted a lot more.

Chris B.

I did have it running. See the video I posted. If you mean cutting, I managed to fit a 28" bar to the saw and took it out to clean up a little storm blowdown. Got 10 minutes into cutting and the saw quit. Would only pop once in a while when I tried to restart. I'm betting the coil went belly-up. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason the saw was put away before I bought it.

I've already located a new coil and will replace it.

For the short time it did run, it sure sounded awesome and clearly the saw wanted a lot more.

Chris B.

Chris, glad to see it running. I missed your call back and got busy with the problems from the storm. Lots of trees down around here you could use it on. :laugh:

The cell towers must have been on the fritz too, just got it back but were still without power. I'm on the generator right now.

Can't wait to see and hear that thing running. ..

Ya done did a fine job there Mr. Chris B.
She looks and sounds great. Get it in some
wood and see how it compairs to a Mac SP125.
I know mine has a very noticable difference.

Lee

So Lee/Chris,

If a 1690 will outcut a 125 then I believe one of the two of you needs to make the trek to Braboo WI. :msp_biggrin:

Bill

Chris, glad to see it running. I missed your call back and got busy with the problems from the storm. Lots of trees down around here you could use it on. :laugh:

The cell towers must have been on the fritz too, just got it back but were still without power. I'm on the generator right now.

Can't wait to see and hear that thing running. ..

Just say when Mark, and I'll bring it over. Fixed the saw, by the way. Wasn't the coil at all. Turns out the kill wire was rubbing on the flywheel and finally wore thru the insulation and grounded out. Guess I shouldn't have moved that retainer. All is well now.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back