skip chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a full skip,

Mainly on my 24 inch bars. I have a few for my 20 inch bar.,But I do not feel it is as fast as a full comp chain.
On the 24 it does well.. when plunging by golly make sure you have one heck of a handhold on that saw. it will try and jump..

I have 3 loops of skip chain for my 361's 24" bar but as of yet have only made a couple of test cuts with it, haven't really "used" it yet. The ground is too wet to get out where the wood is.

Ian

thanks for the input guys, just curious because one of my buddies was telling me he runs skip on everything and I have really only run skip on bars over 28"

I use full skip on everything I own... form 20" out to 36".

Depends on what you're cuttin', how you're cuttin', and what you're cuttin' with.

Gary

Ditto for me.
034 20" skip
441 24" skip and 28" skip
056 Super 24" full comp and 36" skip

My little 011 just retired to a friend's ranch in Idaho with a 16" and skip.

I originally started using full skip for my little 028 for chain speed and chip clearing. Then I found out how nice it was to touch up with a handfile.

I just don't understand how you guys can cut anything if you skip the chain, not much of an edge on the bar for cutting stuff!!:dizzy:

Maybe that's why some people refer to the bar as the "blade"...:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

Well, I guess a little time with the angle grinder, smooth with a file, then hone it out, might just hold an edge real nice like!!! Weight is on the wrong end when you swing it, but it could work!

Is chip clearance and chain speed the only reasons to use skip chain over non-skip? I like the idea of less cutters to sharpen....:dizzy:

So what would cut better/faster in hard or soft wood, A non-skip full chisel 20" bar or skip on a 25" bar.

saw is a 8 tooth spur woods ported 044....

I run 1/2 skip on the 5100s 18" (still using the free chains the dealer gave me with the saw) and run full comp on everything else. if I need a longer bar, I grab a bigger saw to begin with. although full skip 3/8 on the 029 super with a 20" cuts great, so I could see why some guys would run skip on mid size saws wearing long bars.
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back