skip chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what I gather from what the experts say is skip chain is used primarily on longer bars ran by a mid or smaller size saw. May I nag with a few questions. I have only ran the off the shelf Stihl chain, so Im curious. Is there a difference in price? As a homeowner that just cuts 3-5 cords a year max, is there any advantage or disadvantage for me using it on a saw like my 034 AV with a 20 inch bar? Yall got me curious, I been looking at stuff on skip chains.

In my opinion if you use skiptooth on anything less than a 36" bar you should buy a bigger saw. There are plenty of good deals on big saws out there. To me its like someone trying to split wood with a 1 lb splitting maul head on a 12 foot long handle. :hmm3grin2orange:

In my opinion if you use skiptooth on anything less than a 36" bar you should buy a bigger saw. There are plenty of good deals on big saws out there.

I totally agree with that statement, although, some guys don't have the extra money for bigger saws sometimes. heck, sometimes I don't either! ;)
-Ralph

So what would cut better/faster in hard or soft wood, A non-skip full chisel 20" bar or skip on a 25" bar.

saw is a 8 tooth spur woods ported 044....

It's funny you mention "better/faster" because that's a point of contention. I used to go back and forth with my friend Russ (some of you remember him here....) about this. A full comp chain will always (hear me out) cut "faster" than a skip chain, but it may not cut "better." If the powerhead has enough power to pull it, and keep itself in the rpm range, the full comp will cut faster. But if it's an 044 running a 28" or 32" then the skip is nice to have on there to keep the saw in it's powerband and allow it to cut "better." Guys that run skip chain on anything shorter than what the saw can easily pull are hindering themselves. Then the only selling point of a skip chain in that scenario is fewer teeth to sharpen.

Alot of times chip clearance isn't even mentioned until above 28".

Jeff

...and I always grab the wrong chains anyhow.. Just spend a day with 28 inch full skip on my 066.. Cut real well:biggrinbounce2:

I did too... with my new (to me) 044. Pulled a 28" full skip just fine through big Doug Fir and Hemlock. One was 33" dbh... I love the sound a 120+ foot Doug Fir makes when it hits the ground! "KKUH..K-WHUMP!"

Gary

P51 Pioneer with a 32" bar running Oregon 27a and he's blocked up stuff the township's men of Stihl have backed away from. Fail to see why I need a bigger saw that sits 362 days a year waiting for something big to get in the way. I have less in the whole setup than what some of you guys have in a bar that long, so I put up with it taking a micro second longer in the cut.

Latest posts

Back