Skip tooth nonsense

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I get that. I've never tried to run an "overbarred" or "overchained" saw, but if your bar was too long, or you used a full-comp chain where you should have used a skip chain, couldn't you just kind of "feather" the saw in the cut with a light touch, so that you could keep your rpms maxed out? If it was do-able, I suspect the speed difference between skip chain and full comp would be "a wash" and they would be roughly equal. Be interesting to do a test...
You can 'float' round chisel to an extent. It's really done to break the contour when making felling cuts to stop an aggressive chain from stopping when In the vulnerable stage. You wouldn't be using the dogs to start until it got going with some species.
I am talking about skip.
With full comp It's really something you would need to adapter your filling to.
When I had cut Seismic in G&O, pretty much everyone from the west ran stock 365 or 372 with 24" bars with full comp chain.
That would be about equal to running a 36" skip on a 365. Who does that, right?
They are all full wraps and felling dogs and certified Fallers. There is certainly many different levels. The higher level guys would be felling with the dogs and in order to do that then they would have to file up into the corner. I'm sure well over 10°.
Possibly 20-25° at a guess to split the corner and round the point? It's certainly not determined by the manufacturers specs,, but gullet depth, file size and necessity. Having said that, I have been known to carve into the straps.
I'm one of the few that would run a ported 372 and I would still file that way when it makes sense. You are only just Falling as you have a lead cutter blazing and finishing the trail. You can't nip brush as well of bore as well but there is not anything like it when falling most mixed hardwood/softwood. Smooth with long shavings.
------
Whilst on a mountain pine beetle job, I had my block thrower run one of my 372 with skip, I ran full comp. Both ported equally by the the same guy. I would file the chains exacly the same.
The full comp would drop out slightly ahead. They evened out in a 22" pine log. Possibly would even out with the same filing at 18" in some hardwoods, would be my guess?

We are talking 8hp ported 372's

Back