Skipchain On A 20 Inch Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi,I was thinking of getting a skipchain on my husky 359 with a 20 inch bar to go through 15 to 20 inch red oak.I have heard alot about them and they say a 24 inch or longer bar is what they are made for but I would sure like to try one and I was wondering if this is a good idea or should I try to sell my new 20 inch and get a 24 or 28.Will the skip cut that much faster?:givebeer:

you shouldn't need skip on a 359 with a 20''bar

I've used a non skip 24" on the 359 i had cutting green oak as long as you use light pressure it will pull it..

I've never ran skip not shure if it's faster
i can see it working better on longer bars

Yea I can't tell if it is any faster than full comp or not. Some people say it is slower because of less cutters, but less cutters means less weight which means more speed. I like the skip-tooth cause it is more aggressive and quicker to sharpen.

I could be wrong (it's happened before) but I don't think you will be impressed.
Skip does allow a smaller saw to use a longer B/C. But, having 1/2 the cutters it really isn't faster for me and seems to dull faster in the hardwoods like red oak.

Mike

20 is the smallest I would use skip on.

I have used it on 16, and it is SLOW.

20 is OK for full depth bucking and allows better chip clearance.

BTW Skip has 2/3 the cutters not 1/2.

As far as dulling faster, if you sharpen after each tank (I do irregardless of chain) then its no biggie.

Cheap Saws?

So on the smaller, cheap saws sold in the 'big box' stores I noticed that some of them were sold with skip tooth chain or alternate skip tooth - I always assumed that they did this to save a few pennies in manufacturing costs (fewer teeth to pay for).

From the earlier posts, it sounds like it might be because the saws are underpowered (fewer teeth in the cut = less power required)? I always thought of skip tooth in terms of chip clearance.

Philbert (still have all my teeth)

Why would you want to use skip chain on a 20" bar. You've got enough saw to pull a 20" full comp chain. Why use a chain with only half the cutters. I would expect it to cut slower, considerably.

Because with skip chain...

If you don't like your neighbor 30 feet away...

You can rooster tail them...

Hence - better chip ejection.

And for the last time, skip has 2/3 the cutters of full comp NOT 1/2!

I tried it on my 346 with 18" and didn't like it. No better cutting and a lot more vibration.

That saw is close to the size of my 036.

It pulls full comp 20" in hardwoods fine if you keep it sharp and the rakers adjusted. I can't lean on it like my 70+cc saws when it's buried but I see no reason to go to skip with my 036

Skip a chain

I found that in smaller stuff full comp is faster. When the little saw is cutting a full bar (18" in my case) then the skip is faster (still slow).

Careful when limbing with skip. It is a bit more "grabby".

All of my saws run full skip.

Fewer teeth to sharpen is quite a bonus!

-pat

Don't sweat the skip, if you want to try it, go ahead. I have a 20" skip on my 272 right now and can't complain. Less to sharpen and she still cuts plenty fast in the hardwoods. Of course that saw is easily capable of sweet performance with a 24" full comp in hardwoods, muffler modded too. I love that saw.

Latest posts

Back