Sleezebay bay sellers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some used saw sellers think they have gold just because it says Stihl and ask 400 for a 290 that looks it was stored in the grease pit at a heavy equipment yard and some sellers don't know what they have and just want it gone.

I just got a Hitachi cs51 for near 1/2 price off eBay.

Carb kit, gas line, filter, new drum/rim, chain brake missing spring, screws, cover?
Luckily I didn’t pay much for the saw but what gripes me it was called running with no problems.

The Stihl prices are out of wack, the vintage saws too. I just wanted some for a little collection.
Even the non running saws are bringing big bucks.

Seems like more are non-running than not. That can work for you, or against you, you just have to be careful and pay close attention - especially to the pictures. I do have to agree with TheBrushSlasher, that some of the sellers are way off base and asking ridiculous prices for something that looks like it fell off the back of a garbage truck, but some are just looking to move inventory. I've gotten some very good deals (like a solid SXL for $45 shipped), and some saws that had severe issues that were sold as runners.

Most of the sellers don't want a black mark on their reviews though, so they'll do something to work with you if you complain to them, even if begrudgingly. I had what I believe was a 2-10 that was sold to me as a 7-10. I griped to the guy, who got and attitude about it, but offered to refund me. I had already put money and effort into it to get it running, so I was like dude, just refund me shipping (he did) and then I sold it off for what it was to someone who was thrilled with it and I about broke even (maybe came out a few dollars ahead).

You guys are spot on with Stihl, people seem to think they're made of platinum or something. Like here's this roached out 029 I found in a barn with destroyed piston, rusted out muffler, missing mag/cover, no bar/chain, and covered in rat droppings. Starting bid; $160. o_O I guess you could argue that you could part out what's left and make a little something, but...

Since we're talking about "the bay" here, I actually wanted to throw out something positive...

Props to thedukesawparts (a.k.a. SawSalvage) for being probably one of the few honest guys on ebay.

I got an oil tank from him listed for a 7-10 (among other models) and honestly didn't pay enough attention to the listing. Turns out it was for the 54cc model 10 series, which has a smaller diameter machined for the PTO bearing. He was very cool about it when I contacted him, and went to check inventory for the correct part, which he found. Unfortunately, it was pretty corroded apparently and he didn't feel right sending it to me, so he just flat out refunded me and told me to keep the tank.

I kinda feel guilty honestly. Will definitely be checking his listings in the future though!

The newest scam that’s happened to me twice recently is advertising priority shipping then switching to ground after you pay. Sometimes I pick one auction over another based on the shipping service offered and speed in which I’ll receive it. Pisses me off when they switch as mail is the only decent service in my area. FedEx is absolutely horrible.

I do know that shipping services have gotten outrageous, regardless of the service used. If a package is large, and it has to go very far, it makes the sale too expensive overall. Some sellers add extra, and feebay gets a small percent of the shipping cost, also. I do not miss being a feebay member at all. It was great before they started screwing it up from the inside out.

Say the listed shipping is $40, ebay gets $4 of it and paypal gets $1.16
10% and 2.9% + $.30, then another 12.9% of the selling price of the saw (12.9%) x ($300) + $.30 = $39

Paypal and Ebay split in July 2015 thanks to activist investor Carl Icahn. They used to work together well, now it sucks. They act like they don't know what the other is doing when you call for help. Ebay is trying to push a new payment system based in Europe to get away from Paypal.

As an average I've done a lot better buying on ebay than I have selling so I quit selling 2 or 3 years ago and have no plans to return. I've bought lots of items way cheaper than I could have bought anywhere else so if I would happen to get a defective part I just buy another from a different vendor. I haven't given a negative feedback for over 5 years...

I’ve come to view ebay as a great spot to find parts (watch those shipping time estimates if you need something in a hurry) and a not so great spot to buy saws as they often get bid up too high and people put a standard shipping rate that is exorbitant to boot.

I’ve noticed a number of sellers will offer vintage saws as “non running” and then mention it runs. I suppose this helps reduce returns from the buyers remorse folks if they buy a saw that’s advertised as non running.

I’ve come to view ebay as a great spot to find parts (watch those shipping time estimates if you need something in a hurry) and a not so great spot to buy saws as they often get bid up too high and people put a standard shipping rate that is exorbitant to boot.

I’ve noticed a number of sellers will offer vintage saws as “non running” and then mention it runs. I suppose this helps reduce returns from the buyers remorse folks if they buy a saw that’s advertised as non running.
There seems to be a new rule on selling used saws, they list them as "parts saws, non running" but some of them do run. I suppose that gets the seller off the hook for selling a saw that the buyer can't get started. I sold a small homeowners saw once and I took great care in cleaning it up and starting it and a few weeks later buyer wanted his money back saying he could never get it to start...when it came back to me it had sawdust all over it, did the buyer throw sawdust on it after it wouldn't start?

I bought a 394 husky on ebay minus a hi-top filter cover. Seller said he could not find it. When I got the saw it had a peeling silver paint job. probably did not want to show it in the pics. Other than that the saw has been running fine for about 6 yrs now.

I have noticed that the prices and/or shipping have been swinging higher on Amazon, so hopefully E-Bay will make a little comeback. E-bay has to stop trying to make more money out of the sellers, as their actions are hurting the marketplace as a whole.
I have done some looking about selling on Amazon, but they want bank account numbers before giving up any details.

Back