slight mishap with fueling my tractor and need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up some winterized fuel for the tractor last week in one of those new fangled yellow plastic cans. Well the can sat in the back of my truck through a few days of rain, I never gave it any thought and when I went to pour it in the fuel tank the spout was full of water, by the time I saw what was happening it was too late, it had all gone in the tank. It was probably only about an ounce of water. I poured in the 5 gallons of fuel. I had some work to do with the tractor so I let it run for an hour or so. I'm not sure how or if I can get the water out or am I making too much of it? I have never owned a piece of equipment before.
In case it matters it's a 07 Massey 1540 4 wd tractor.
Thanks,
Dave

Get you some good diesel fuel additive like Howe's and change the fuel filter, should be fine.

Don't know about your tractor but a lot of diesel fuel filters have a drain on the bottom to let the water out when it gets to the filter. If yours has one after you have run the tractor on that fuel, open that drain the next morning and see if watèr comes out.

I am not a diesel fuel expert, but I certainly run my fair share of them. I seriously doubt that small amount would do much. Most filters have the small drain dealie on the bottom, you are supposed to periodically drain some off, the water will settle to the bottom in the filter. Now no amount is good for the injector pump or injectors or anything, but sloshing around, with the return line, etc..it most likely will just disappear on ya. Just be more careful in the future, and keep the tanks full, less condensation especially in cooler wetter months.

This is a small compact diesel tractor, doubt it has a water separator or drain. That is why I suggested changing the filter and adding a good fuel conditioner.

thanks guys, I will look it over tomorrow. I feel a little better now except it's going to be the coldest night in a long while.
you can dump some fuel dryer in it something like "heet" or diesel 911...are what most places around here sell.
the station I buy from, blends their diesel with kerosene in the winter , and posts what temp its good for...they move a lot of fuel, an dive never had any problems with it...

shopping

the best....

No, mostly that is "snake oil". Just put in a cup or so of methanol so the water doesn't freeze.

No, mostly that is "snake oil". Just put in a cup or so of methanol so the water doesn't freeze.
must be a magic snake then...gelling fuel one minute...add 911...no gelling? have to use it in the fall sometimes if we get a cold night before we have switched over to winter blend...easier to get than methanol...(well atleast more convenient) as its on the self at the fuel station...

one ounce isnt going to harm anything. run it for a tank, change filters, move on. unless its an old style gravity feed out the bottom style tank, it will stay in the tank until it finally mixes with the fuel slowly over time and gets burned. just dont make a habit of it and youll be perfectly fine

Yeah, that's a very minor tractor incident. Your fuel tank probably condenses that much water into it on the right day. A major tractor incident would be, like, trying to fill the radiator on an old Ford 8n with fuel. I actually had a friend, who was terrible with anything mechanical, neglect his 8n to the point where the radiator was nearly empty, then asked his brother in law to fuel it up. The BIL thought the radiator cap was the fuel tank, and promptly filled it up.

Yeah, that's a very minor tractor incident. Your fuel tank probably condenses that much water into it on the right day. A major tractor incident would be, like, trying to fill the radiator on an old Ford 8n with fuel. I actually had a friend, who was terrible with anything mechanical, neglect his 8n to the point where the radiator was nearly empty, then asked his brother in law to fuel it up. The BIL thought the radiator cap was the fuel tank, and promptly filled it up.
we had tree huggers dump sugar in the tanks on our old JD 440 skidder...on our own property/ woodlot:mad::mad::mad::mad::buttkick:...luckily that was the only piece of equipment there, and the assholes spilled sugar everywhere, so we saw it and never started it...all our new equipment has locks or the fill cap is inside the engine shroud which is locked!

Methanol is very easy to find. Any truck stop or decent auto parts store will carry it.

must be a magic snake then...gelling fuel one minute...add 911...no gelling? have to use it in the fall sometimes if we get a cold night before we have switched over to winter blend...easier to get than methanol...(well atleast more convenient) as its on the self at the fuel station...

Latest posts

Back