Small axe for wedge driving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. Guess I need to learn to read!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

smallsplittingaxelge6701.jpg

now your talkin'

If you are going to tap wedges, those hatchets will be fine. If you are going to drive wedges, you need a working axe. Those hatchets are worthless if you need to wedge a back-leaner, or free a pinched saw.

I use a cheap ar*ed little sledge with a fibreglass handle. I did try a smaller hatchet but it didn't have enough grunt to drive wedges into heavier trees/leaners. Bigger trees get the blocksplitter to drive wedges in.
I'm not sure if I want something sharp hanging off my belt as I habit of always sharpening things till you can shave with them.
Probably look around and see a butt cheek laying there...

Here is my current rig. It is a Truper 3lb. rafting axe w/ 20 in. handle. It just depends on what I'm doing, but if I need to wedge and am going to be moving a lot this is what I wear.

Thats what I carry on my chaps belt. But, I gotta know, where'd you get that scabbard.
I had to make my own - 'cause I could NOT find one!!!
I sent pix to Baileys and others.
Even asked at several logger suppliers when in Oregon.
They all said "not here".

Another really good feature to point out about your setup is that straight helve.
I put a long straight hammer handle on my axe.
If you're gonna do any heavy wedging, the normal curved axe handle can be a real PITA.

attachment.php

have some rep, man.

Last edited:
If you're gonna do any heavy wedging, the normal curved axe handle can be a real PITA.[/B]
QUOTE]

Thats part of why I cut mine to 22". The 3.5lb. Truper I've got came with a 26 or 28" handle that was curved at the end. Cut it off sanded it up and now I can swing er like a hammer one handed, but still long enough to get two hands on it when needed. It was cheap like $13 at Menards and does the trick. I let it swing off of a metal loop hammer holder on my belt for easy access. It was also gettin tangled in my legs at the original length. Cheap and simple.

The only one I've ever needed...

Stihl splitting hatchet

PA20_ax.jpg

DSC07095Medium.jpg

DSC07107Medium.jpg

Don't know how many cords of wood I've split with one while camping over the last 10 years, but it's been a lot. I love it and never go into the woods without it. :cheers:

wedge driver

Bailey's 2009 master catalog page 35 three pound single bit cut the handle to 20-22 inches. Get the five pounder leave the handle long for the big stuff. Less than $60.00 for both with shipping. These axes are made for driving plastic wedges, other types with the rounded heads and sledges will ruin your wedges faster.

I'm apparently way cheaper than most of you. I converted an old broken handled 8# sledge into a wedge driver simply by painting it a bright shiny color I could find back when dropped in the leaves or snow.

I'm never far from the truck or tractor, so dragging it with me isn't a big deal. I am gonna order a wedge holder to go on the chaps though, have about lost the checkbook a couple times when pulling wedges outta the back jeans pocket.

FWIW......

I sent an email into the Fiskars people asking them about wedge driving with any of their axes. The response was that they did not recommend using the back of any of their products for striking purposes.

Its a great product, dont get me wrong, but driving wedges may void the lifetime warranty that they have on the handle.

Fiskars Tip!

To those of you that have or are thinking of getting a fiskars style axe or hatchet,be carefull with cold weather storage.if stored head down handle up and it fills up with water snow and ice it will freeze and fracture the handle.
Don't ask me how i know!:mad:

Latest posts

Back