Small axe for wedge driving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wanna go old school Brad...Find you a nice Plumb off fleabay or a yard sell...Them was the finest years ago!!!!

If you are going to tap wedges, those hatchets will be fine. If you are going to drive wedges, you need a working axe. Those hatchets are worthless if you need to wedge a back-leaner, or free a pinched saw.

^^^^this. I've got one of the small Fiskars hatchets just for tapping wedges in while bucking a log. It is a great little tool and chops like crazy, but it ain't gonna do you much good in trying to lift wood.

Do you feel like 3# is a good weight? I'm currently using a little short handled 3# sledge. I don't have an axe so I thought I'd get one to replace the little sledge.

I know some use 5 pounders and I have one, but they seem to be a little much hangin off the belt. My 3.5lber works great and you need a longer handle for leverage. Mines about 22"

For myself, I would'nt want any heavier if I had it on my belt continually. Even the three lbs. takes some getting used to. Although it will not do what a 5lb.er/36" will do it is supprising what it will drive. If I know that I will be wedging some big ones away from a fence or ? I would take a bigger axe and not carry it on me. I always have a sledge or bigger axe in the truck but very seldom need it. BUT, here I am never that far from my truck so it is not a worry.

Whatever you get make sure the poll?(I think) has a flat and not rounded surface.

Last edited:
If you are going to tap wedges, those hatchets will be fine. If you are going to drive wedges, you need a working axe. Those hatchets are worthless if you need to wedge a back-leaner, or free a pinched saw.

guess i didn't know better. i can easily lift 18"ers with a 1.5lb hatchet. i have a 3lb sledge, but it rarely ever gets used. if you are cutting bigger wood, i would want something a little heavier. i would rather use something small and generate a little more swing speed.

guess i didn't know better. i can easily lift 18"ers with a 1.5lb hatchet. i have a 3lb sledge, but it rarely ever gets used. if you are cutting bigger wood, i would want something a little heavier. i would rather use something small and generate a little more swing speed.

I am talking being able to wedge 24" wood or larger. All forces being equal, more speed is generated by a longer handle. Watch some of the pro falling videos on YouTube, those guys aren't carrying hatchets.

I recently bought a Husqvarna hatchet and am very pleased with it so far (I believe the Husky axe is actually made by Hultafors axes of Sweden but don't know for sure so the rabid Stihl versus Husqvarna arguers can chill out).

It came sharp enough to shave hairs off my arm and was only 25 quid, not sure how much that is in green.
Its only about 340mm long at its longest point which is near enough 13 3/8" so its not big or heavy, I wouldn't use it for really beating anything in as that's not what an axe is designed for but for tapping wedges in a bit I can't see it would come to any harm.
Oh and it has a leather cover to keep the edge good, the cover looks like its a one size fits all and could go on a bigger axe but it does the job fine all the same.

Looks like this...
hatchetmediuim.jpg

Just like saws there is no one size fits all for a falling axe. A guy really needs a minimum of two just to get by, barely. Is that AAD?

i guess i better get looking on CL bf the rest of you beat me to the treasure trove of axes that are out there just looking for a new home. i might have to build on to my shop.

For me,,,what I use...I swing a splitting axe..I'm not a young man anymore,,and not a big man...I want some leverage in my swing ...At times when I stacked 2 wedges ontop I pulled out the splitting maul...Us small dudes gotta have somekinda help behind us....

I've been using the Husqvarna/Wetterling's multipurpose axe and hatchet, sister company to Gransfors Bruks and very high quality, can be ordered through your Husqvarna dealer. Paid around $45-50 a piece.
Scott

Latest posts

Back