small dia. repelling lines???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here's the thing.
Most of the time I don't. If all I'm doing is taking a straight stem tree down from the top. Then no.
But I'm thinkin of starting to. But the way I will repell down the tree is to put the rope around the tree, put the eye on my bridge and the other end in my rescue 8 and down I come. Get to the ground and pull the line up around and down. If I'm going to pull the tree over then I will pull the pulling line up and around and down. Take the repelling line off the pulling line. Then tie a running bowline on the pulling line and pull it back up so its tight.
But sometimes I'm 120' up a spruce tree, so I need at least 250' of rope to repell with .
I don't know how much some of the smaller lines weigh per 100' . But Samson Kernmantel is 4.2lbs per 100' .

I've seen your idea of a trim saw, what's another 10 pounds of rope?

Seriously though, I never leave the ground without a quick way down. I won' leave the ground without my lifeline, and it is always tied in, has saved me a few times. Cut into a beehive one time, if I had had to do more than drop the flipline, kick out and fly down it would have been even worse than it was.

OK. Don't flame me.

I'm wanting a light weight line to repel down. . Something I can pack with me on my saddle when climbing larger trees.

Prussic cord. Will it work. Any reason 3/8 Tenex won't work????

I would not go with Tenex it won't be very durable. I have repelled with 3/8" StaSet, double line, through a fig8, kinda fast but doable.

What is sta set??

It don't take me too long to throw a bunch of slack in my flip line and come ball hootin out of a tree . But. I don't have much if any ground crew so I have to be pretty mobile. I don't mind 10 lbs. .

So, what's the deal with Kernmantel rope.

Last edited:
StaSet is a double braid polyester rope, splice able and in general a good line made by New England, I think. Kernmantel ropes are nice but typically made of nylon and are not as durable as polyester and can not be spliced.

I am going to start using 9.5mm(3/8)or 10mm static line here in the near future. 9.5mm is rated for over 5000lbs. They climb mountains and go down caves with it all the time. Some are made that are water proof(they float) Snakebite 10mm static line is a good one and very durable. 9.5 mm is like 4lbs a 100 ft I think.
I'm going to use it as an access line and to anchor my climbing line off of I think if I want to do double line. Man you should alway have that climbing line in the tree with you. How do you send down your saw when it runs out of gas? God forbid, but if you got a broke arm or something, #### happens, you need a way down fast, anyway why use up energy climbing down when you can glide. http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Static-Kernmantlehttp://www.everestgear.com/443411.html

Last edited:
So. Are all static lines Kernmantel, are all Kernmantel lines Static. I will check that poison ivy out

I always have a pass rope with me, well most of the time I do. . Ya gotta remember I climbed and topped trees for a lot of years with a loggers belt, wire core 4 strand manilla and fixed gaff Buckingham spurs. When I started climbing I couldn't even afford a wire core line so I used some crab pot line. And my belt was a Kline work position belt size medium and even at its tightest I could shove both my fists under it. Without sucking in my gut . 2 years ago I had to use a 5" extension on the tounge. I used those D Rings on the belt I made. They caught me a Lot of times when I spurred out.

Last edited:
I am going to start using 9.5mm(3/8)or 10mm static line here in the near future. ....]

Just a thought.

ANSI Z133.2013

The ANSI Z133 Safety Standards for Arboricultural Operations require that climbing lines be synthetic, at least 1/2” (12.7mm) in diameter, and have a minimum breaking strength of 5,400 lb when the rope is new. Smaller diameter lines no thinner than 7/16” (11mm) may be used if it can be shown that their use does not create a hazard and the climber has been trained in their use. These smaller lines must meet the same standards as larger lines.

Just a thought.

ANSI Z133.2013

The ANSI Z133 Safety Standards for Arboricultural Operations require that climbing lines be synthetic, at least 1/2” (12.7mm) in diameter, and have a minimum breaking strength of 5,400 lb when the rope is new. Smaller diameter lines no thinner than 7/16” (11mm) may be used if it can be shown that their use does not create a hazard and the climber has been trained in their use. These smaller lines must meet the same standards as larger lines.

If I'm not mistaken 133 also requires a climber to always have at least one safety that alows for descent to the ground at all times. Can't remember the exact phrasing.

Static lines are fine for rappelling, but if you come out of tall timber like I used to, line that has some give might keep you from breaking off. Static lines can't handle a drop(well, the sudden stop that often follows a drop), climbing lines can!

Were the ANSI regs written before things like the Unicender, ZZ, HH. Or the Look jack, spider jack, ect were invented.
Since we have sooooooo many new and fun gizmos to play with now, not just a taunt line hitch

And. As I will have 2 parts of line to my saddle. That Samson 3/8 Kernmantel, at 4.2 lbs per 100' and a break strength of 5200 lbs, if I remember right should, had ought to b the ticket. Specially at less than a $ a foot.
Nice and pretty red too. :msp_smile:

Were the ANSI regs written before things like the Unicender, ZZ, HH. Or the Look jack, spider jack, ect were invented.
Since we have sooooooo many new and fun gizmos to play … :msp_smile:
Can you tell me how many of those mentioned devices can be used with 9.5 mm line?
Or even 10mm for that matter?

So. Are all static lines Kernmantel, are all Kernmantel lines Static. I will check that poison ivy out

No, and no, but you'd be better off with a static line for rappelling(less bounce).

I looked at a hank of 3/8 Super Static assault line a while back, I think it was 90 meters(close to 300'), but it wasn't very heavy at all, and rated close to 6000 lbs tensile strength.

I read something once about crab pot line, but I can't remember if it's polyester or poly/nylon blend. I recon if it'll hold a pot of crabs it ought to hold a guy with crabs. :msp_biggrin:

if your going with a small diameter rope, you should feed both ends through the 8. the problem with a single small line through an 8 is the lack of friction. a 5/16 line would hold your body weight, all your gear and a dirt bike. its not a strength issue here. you can coil the tail end of the rope through a carabiner clipped to your side D. it will give you more friction. I always keep my line wrapped through one when I am working down with my 8. this way, if my soft lock falls out I would fall really slow. you could also back it up with a prussic. which rock climbers do. but I don't because of if the knot jams and I am injured, i'll have to log onto arboristsite. find a local arborist. pay them to climb up and loosen my friction hitch.

Back