Small rear handle limbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, we have room in our line-up for a small limbing saw. We had our CS-440 stolen some time back, and next in line is the Husqvarna 55 and Echo CS-510. I'm looking to pick-up a 35-40cc rear handle saw. Forget the Husqvarna/Poulan stuff, tried a 141/142 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!

What is the best, and I'm not brand specific? We just sold one of our CS-510's, so I have some spare cash to work with. Just wanted some straight answers and opinions on a good small saw for limbing to compliment our CS-360T. Our local John Deere dealer just added the entire Stihl line-up, and I've been looking them over, but I'm not well educated in their new stuff, especially the smaller saws. I see some for $179 and other small ones for over $300???

Anyhow, wanted to hear some straight talk.....Stihl, Makita, Dolmar, what's out there and what's the best "little" rear handle saw, pound for pound and dollar for dollar?....Cliff

MS200 rear handle

NICE SAW - I'm really glad I listen and ponied up the $$. With the 14"E bar it seems to be perfectly balanced and cuts like a termite on steroids. Last weekend I spent most of the day clearing 6-8" Hemlocks that have been wiped out by the blight; and all the small "weed tree clumps" that the forester had marked for removal. It is very light and fast. I never got tired and never felt the need to reach for the 361.
Really love the saw although when I switch back to the 361 there is a huge weight difference - which is exactly why I bought it.

Nothing but good things to say about the 200, everytime it's in my hands, it's my favorite saw. LOL :biggrinbounce2:

I love the 200, and own one... but... the MS192 is a great little very light-weight saw at half the price.. Still around $300 though

More coventional and around $200 - the MS180C

Last edited:
NICE SAW - I'm really glad I listen and ponied up the $$. With the 14"E bar it seems to be perfectly balanced and cuts like a termite on steroids. Last weekend I spent most of the day clearing 6-8" Hemlocks that have been wiped out by the blight; and all the small "weed tree clumps" that the forester had marked for removal. It is very light and fast. I never got tired and never felt the need to reach for the 361.
Really love the saw although when I switch back to the 361 there is a huge weight difference - which is exactly why I bought it.

Nothing but good things to say about the 200, everytime it's in my hands, it's my favorite saw. LOL :biggrinbounce2:

The MS 200 is an AMAZING little saw. Loads of power, little weight. 14" on mine, too. Perfect.
buy local... or there will be no dealers soon.

I hear a rumor that a big dealer is going under near me...

Storefront dealers rely on business to keep their doors open, and every "Power Horse" (or "Shenyang Mule") sold in the USA is another bit of blood sucked from a rather anemic economy. Buy local. Buy quality, but buy local. We need to have dealers stay open.

A $600.00 saw is a lifetime investment, and it will last a long time.

sooo.. let me understand this.. you're saying a lifetime is a long time? :monkey:

Well, with any luck, yes, it is. At least one would hope so. I was trying to draw you out with that insipid statement, and it looks like I did just that!:blob2:

That's what I get for posting right after a nap. Got up at 4:00 to go look for deer. Found nothing but exhaustion...........

It's still a good saw, regardless.

MS180 With an adjustable carb and muffler opened up a little
And MS200, on like second tank of fuel, Both with 16" .050 Picco chain.
Cutting green Black Walnut

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i116.photobucket.com/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http%3A%2F%2Fvid116.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo27%2FTrigger-Time_photos%2FMovie%2F6808eeb8.pbr&amp;hostname=stream116.photobucket.com">

It's a bit like comapring a MS310 with A 361.. not as much difference as you may expect, but that's only part of the story.

It's a bit like comapring a MS310 with A 361.. not as much difference as you may expect, but that's only part of the story.

:agree2:

The adj. carb and opening muffler on 180 really helped it.
At least my 180, just taking the screen out it was way to
lean. After the carb swap I was able to open muffler. I don't
recommend doing a muffler mod to 180 unless you change carbs, or
that was the case with mine

Thanks for all the replies. I've been watching a few E-Bay auctions for the smaller Makita saws, and have considered the Echo CS-400, and even a small Stihl 180. I looked at two new Stihls today at our local John Deere dealer, but didn't have time to really compare features on them. Are the smaller Stihl rear handle saws around $180-230 any good?

What older model Stihl smaller saws in the 30-40cc range are decent?.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back