Small Saw Chain Tests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oregon chain in the 3/8 low profile testing will probably be VXL which is semi chisel with the longer cutter. Had some VX as well but it is mostly used up now.

Me too.
If I didn't have so much 325 I'd run it on a few of my 50cc huskys. I ran it on my stock 261cm, but I run full 3/8 on the mmws261 and it does a great job, its just above the hp where the advantage would go to the picco chain.
I use it on 200T's and 241"s

I am very curious to run 3/8 low profile full chisel versus 325 full chisel on the same saw. I have never been a fan of .325 chain as it was always the red headed step child that was confined to 40-50 cc homeowner saws that did not have enough power to run full 3/8. On my ported small saws, full 3/8 is night and day faster than .325.

The 340 with full chisel 325 will run away from the other small saws when they are wearing 3/8 Lp semi chisel. But again the 340 has a power advantage of .7 horse and both of the saws are muffler modded. Going to order loops of full chisel 3/8 LP tomorrow.

Forgive me the old guy. I went to sleep for decades and remember the 325”-050” LG, the 3/8”-.050” LP, the 404”-050 LP years ago there wasn’t so many choices. Chisel or chipper, semi chisel, Skip. I’m looking forward to your tests of the new styles of chain.

I should clarify..I am only testing 3/8 full comp versus 3/8 skip on the 5020. There was some discussion in the 5020 thread on if the 20" bar was too much for the saw so I want to sink it into hardwood to see. Have a nice birch that I am going to drop and the trunk is about 20" so it will be a good test platform.
I’m running a 20” skip on my 5020. Runs ok

I am very curious to run 3/8 low profile full chisel versus 325 full chisel on the same saw. I have never been a fan of .325 chain as it was always the red headed step child that was confined to 40-50 cc homeowner saws that did not have enough power to run full 3/8. On my ported small saws, full 3/8 is night and day faster than .325.

The 340 with full chisel 325 will run away from the other small saws when they are wearing 3/8 Lp semi chisel. But again the 340 has a power advantage of .7 horse and both of the saws are muffler modded. Going to order loops of full chisel 3/8 LP tomorrow.
It's always fun trying them all out.
I had some comments on my channel the other day about the chain being dull, I was cutting half seasoned black locust which is family hard.
Figured I'd do a video with a dull chain in some softer wood.

If I had a you-tubb account and if I made videos I would like to show a test between my Makita 3200 (which I love because it feels sturdy and cuts like a bigger saw) and the Echo 361 rear handle.

But unfortunately I don't... :picture:

I am testing on a stihl 201, I would say semiproffesionale working.
So far I find the Oregon 91 vxl maybee better suited than the stihl picco semichisel. 12 inch lightweigt stihl bar. The combo has the advantage on limbing sitka and Norway spruce with a lot of branches. Much kinder to arms, shoulder and the back, than HVA 550 or Stihl 261 both with 13 inch bar. Sufficient for felling trees upp to 50 cm or so, bigger than that, better of with two sawes. If the job involve a lot of bucking the saw is not suited, but we cut everything at 3 m so then the saw is good enough. Limbing takes 70-80% of the time.
I have got 2 Husqvarna S93G chains but both chains the teeth has been hardened too much so I havent been able to filed them.

The problem I have with lopro or picco is the cutters don't last as long as 325 and the chain just loves to jump the bar.

The problem I have with lopro or picco is the cutters don't last as long as 325 and the chain just loves to jump the bar.
What's up buddy.
That's odd, I can't remember the last time I tossed a 3/8 picco chain.
I'm not sure the stihl picco last much less than an Oregon 325, I don't doubt the stihl 325 lasts longer than stihl picco though.

What's up buddy.
That's odd, I can't remember the last time I tossed a 3/8 picco chain.
I'm not sure the stihl picco last much less than an Oregon 325, I don't doubt the stihl 325 lasts longer than stihl picco though.

The last time I used a 3/8 lo pro, it threw the chain. I might be a bit more aggressive ;)
Also, you have to compare semi chisel to semi chisel. Some folks compare fc 325 to the sc 3/8 and find it is similar. The semi chisel 325 lasts a good long time. Also, I am talking full kerf 325, not NK. Ugh... so many choices...but picco jumps longer bars less often than shorter ones.

The last time I used a 3/8 lo pro, it threw the chain. I might be a bit more aggressive ;)
Also, you have to compare semi chisel to semi chisel. Some folks compare fc 325 to the sc 3/8 and find it is similar. The semi chisel 325 lasts a good long time. Also, I am talking full kerf 325, not NK. Ugh... so many choices...but picco jumps longer bars less often than shorter ones.

I typically toss a chain when I small branch or a piece of bark manages to get between the bar and chain, sometimes when I let off and tap the chain on something and then hit the throttle again. The one exception is with that 4300, but we know its not just the 3/8 LP causing that issue :rare2:.
I ran the ported 241 on all this Thursday, it was all dead standing black locust, so even the small branches got cut to length for firewood. Oh I never tossed a chain or even adjusted it, newer stihl picco with a full chisel chain with the ramps on it.

Attachments

• 20200311_183612.jpg
    20200311_183612.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200311_190758.jpg
    20200311_190758.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200311_194147.jpg
    20200311_194147.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I had a bunch of clips of my PS-32 cutting but they are now gone. Great saw.
360 is a good little saw, especially with the cat removed and exhaust gutted.

This is what those saws are trying to cut - 80+ yr old red oak

170361454.8y5KmWbR.jpg

360 is a good little saw, especially with the cat removed and exhaust gutted.

This is what those saws are trying to cut - 80+ yr old red oak

170361454.8y5KmWbR.jpg

Would it be possible to get the same chain as the Makita EA3200 / Dolmar on to the Echo 360?

Latest posts

Back