Small Saw Chain Tests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought of going from .325” LG chisel chain to the 3/8” LP chisel chain on my smaller cc saws. Do the smaller saws lose noticeable power? I do go up one pin size on the rims.

I never thought of going from .325” LG chisel chain to the 3/8” LP chisel chain on my smaller cc saws. Do the smaller saws lose noticeable power? I do go up one pin size on the rims.
The small saws certainly loose power running 325, changing to 3\8 picco helps quite a bit on a saw that's stock and 50cc or less.
The picco rims are actually larger than the standard 3/8 rims so they are a good bit larger than a 325.

Is there a lo profile 3/8” chain to replace the 325? Do the pico rims fit the husky?

I’m not sure how deep you want to get into testing but what about using semi skip and full skip 3/8” chain with a larger pin rim to replace the 325.
Probably the semi skip would be better.

The Echo and the Makita in the vid are wearing the same B&C.

Seems like the Echo was a waste of my money then, the Makita cuts way better :rolleyes: I don't quite understand it though, the Echo should have notably more power.
If it was because the Makita runs picco and the Echo runs 3/8 lp it would make more sense...

Picco and LP are the same style of chain

Of course, only Stihl saws use picco chain. So my Makita 32cc run a 3/8 LP 1,1mm chain, and my 36cc Echo is pulling a standard 3/8 1,3mm chain - the same chain as my 7910?
RIMG0115.JPGRIMG0116.JPGRIMG0117.JPGRIMG0125.JPG

Of course, only Stihl saws use picco chain. So my Makita 32cc run a 3/8 LP 1,1mm chain, and my 36cc Echo is pulling a standard 3/8 1,3mm chain - the same chain as my 7910?
View attachment 808426View attachment 808427View attachment 808428View attachment 808429
The 3/8 class in either picco or lp (low profile) the size of the drive links and the distance from center of pivot to sliding surface, to me defines a class. These factors make nose and drive sprockets kind of specific. Your large saw mentioned above uses larger drive links and other things mentioned previously in this post.

Are you talkin in person or in my video?

I was talking about my saws, which are stock as they came in the box. It would be nice to know specifically what chains where on those two saws in the video too of course since my saws have obviously different chains.
My brain is just slow working that's all... Would it help my Echo if I ordered a 3/8 Low 1,3mm chain, would it fit the sprocket or would that be no point at all because that's whats already there or it wouldn't fit?
I was just thinking that if it has a standard 3/8 chain that's quite a heavy pull for a 36cc saw.

Looking forward to the 5020 vid. Just bought an Oregon LPX 70DL on ebay for only $13 shipped. Hope this was a good choice. Read that a 16 inch bar is the way to go but prefered not to spend more for a new bar.

Looking forward to the 5020 vid. Just bought an Oregon LPX 70DL on ebay for only $13 shipped. Hope this was a good choice. Read that a 16 inch bar is the way to go but prefered not to spend more for a new bar.

That's a good chain, especially for clean wood. The full chisel cutter is fast but will dull faster than semi or micro chisel cutters, so it might not be the best option for dirty wood.

The only other option I would consider for it is .325 NK (aka speedcut, pixel, NK), but that requires a different bar. I run pole saw chain on my pole saw - 25cc power head.

I'm looking forward to this since my Dolmar ps-352/Makita 3601 arrived today! :)

View attachment 808426View attachment 808427View attachment 808428View attachment 808429

Just saw this - your dealer has made an error. That 360 should never come with standard 3/8 chain. Keep the sprocket and put 3/8LP or 3/8 picco chain on it instead.
Wow. That dealer's tech needs a slap. You probably won't even have to swap the bar out if they used .050. Did you measure the bar widths on both? If it is under warranty, I would go back to the dealer. The issue should be obvious.
Pull the bar on that echo. It should be a Tsumura and look like this:

168686487.1Xbl2buT.Tsumura_Echo_Bar.jpg

I also just noticed that the Tsumura bar isn't mark correctly. It should read '3/8LP' instead of simply 3/8. Ugh, my other Tsumura bar says the same thing.
This is STIHL sort of showing Oregon they've thought things through better, isn't it?

I was talking about my saws, which are stock as they came in the box. It would be nice to know specifically what chains where on those two saws in the video too of course since my saws have obviously different chains.
My brain is just slow working that's all... Would it help my Echo if I ordered a 3/8 Low 1,3mm chain, would it fit the sprocket or would that be no point at all because that's whats already there or it wouldn't fit?
I was just thinking that if it has a standard 3/8 chain that's quite a heavy pull for a 36cc saw.

I am using 53 links of Oregon 91VXL.

Just saw this - your dealer has made an error. That 360 should never come with standard 3/8 chain. Keep the sprocket and put 3/8LP or 3/8 picco chain on it instead.
Wow. That dealer's tech needs a slap. You probably won't even have to swap the bar out if they used .050. Did you measure the bar widths on both? If it is under warranty, I would go back to the dealer. The issue should be obvious.
Pull the bar on that echo. It should be a Tsumura and look like this:

168686487.1Xbl2buT.Tsumura_Echo_Bar.jpg

My bar looks like that yes, ok now I know at least I can use a 3/8LP and I guess if it was that it would have the same dimension at the teeth top surface as the one on my 14" Makita 32.
I have several small Echo saws and I think perhaps this goes for all of them, a standard 3/8 may be good at 60cc but at a 26cc top handle or 36cc limbing saw it might be asking a lot.
I'll contact the shop and the importer when I have gotten angry enough, shouldn't take long...

Thanks

Alright obviously I had to check all my saws now and I'm still kinda puzzled;

The standard 3/8 .050 chain (probably Carlton) on my aftermarked stew MS381 has a top plate that is about (approx) 4.75mm/0.187" wide at the front cutting edge. That is beyond doubt a standard 3/8 chain.
My Echo saws; a 280T a 360T and a 361 rear handle are all .050, and they all have a top plate that is about (approx) 3.75mm/0.148" wide at the front cutting edge.
My Makita 3200 are .043, the chain have a top plate that is about (approx) 3.0mm/0.118" wide at the front cutting edge.

What am I missing here? The plastic bag from the Echo 361 chain says "91VXL053XJ".
Could both the Echo and the Makita chains be LP but since the Makita is .043 the teeth also has an even more narrow profile than what it would be on a .050 chain?
Because then obviously I would need a 0.43 guide bar on all my Echo saws to get the chain I really want.

Back