Smoothest saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gel cycling gloves, never heard of such a thing. I'll have to check into that, but of course I only have one saw that has no av and I very rarely use it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

As do I- that old nasty 041 Farmboss that never gets more than a tank or two at a time through it because of that fact- but I do not have arthritic hands either.

Strength does not equal smoothness. Correct? My grandfather used to run a pair of 2-cylinder John Deere tractors. Those babies were strong but never smooth in anyone's book.
True, he just said the husky was winning, didn't really specify faster or smoother.

Strength does not equal smoothness. Correct? My grandfather used to run a pair of 2-cylinder John Deere tractors. Those babies were strong but never smooth in anyone's book.

I have run a square baler with one of those tractors. They run at a very low rpm (800?, I forget) and are very relaxing to run. Smooth in a chuga chuga way.

I wonder how the dolmar saws stack up against the 572 or 576
I believe the 576 was smoother than my 572, not just the AV but the engine. The 5100 is the smoothest saw I've ran except for the Echo twin and a rotary Dolmar. The 7900 is a very smooth saw, but most newer saws beat it out, think 261, 362, 441, 462, 572, 562, 550 they're all a bit smother than the 7900.

Now there is also a difference I've noticed in harmonics, Stihl saws have more of a buzz, the Dolmar 7900 for instance has more of a thump, the Husqvarna's are somewhere in the middle. IMHO Husqvarna has the best overall spring AV, nice and firm yet still very smooth.

Plus 1 to the guys who mentioned a chain goes a long way in smoothness. When I picked up my first saw (038av) for $125 at a garage sale. I didn’t know anything about saws...at all! Well, that chain was on there way too long and I young and dumb just kept cutting. That saw would jump in my hands and take forever to cut. Picked up a new chain, which was way overdue, and OMG: what a difference in smoothness. I apologized to the chainsaw for not getting a new chain sooner! ;) Then I discovered chain maintenance and everything else that comes with owning a saw.
I bought a new 461 that I absolutely love and now I have a 362. 362 is a little smoother, but I think chain maintenance is a huge factor.

I have run a square baler with one of those tractors. They run at a very low rpm (800?, I forget) and are very relaxing to run. Smooth in a chuga chuga way.
Grandpa had a '37 and a '39 poppin Johnny and never complained about either of them. He woi;ld start one of them every morning at 6 am and wake everyone up. They seemed to run smoother under load when pulling the plow. Heck, I never had the strength back then to turn the big flywheel.

After a day of baling it was hard to get that chugga chug headnod to stop once you got off the tractor.

you can also get pretty good padded tap or ever cut and slip and ziptie the whole grip used on mountainbikes onto the saw. We have a 760av powered stump grinder which is the pits when it comes to vibes.

After a day of baling it was hard to get that chugga chug headnod to stop once you got off the tractor.

you can also get pretty good padded tap or ever cut and slip and ziptie the whole grip used on mountainbikes onto the saw. We have a 760av powered stump grinder which is the pits when it comes to vibes.

good idea!

Used the Makita 6100 yesterday to Pollard a willlow that was well due a trim. It used 3 tanks of fuel to fill this 12 tonne trailer. It's AV is sublime and you hardly can feel a thing. I ran it with a 20" to chug through the big stuff and on the ground. I used a 13" bar to start in the bucket in the tree. I cannot think of a nicer AV system to use for 7 hrs than the dolmar/Makita set up. I'll be attacking the other large on the the left of the loader next week.
0f264a1241c452063696500e755770f8.jpg
8ed726dc3db81696bdd7d785b541d6d1.jpg
a9a099c3bd9f143faf8d60c47697ce72.jpg
9a51561fdf419efaa4cfb191e2459f14.jpg
fa907d5f414ac0110527b564a47a06ab.jpg
e40b19925efe8e5867ee8da8c86b761d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hands down the Dolkita 5105-H is the smoothest cutting saw I have ever operated , the heated handles are nice to in the colder weather . The 346 xp is rather smooth also , followed by the 576 xp . I have thinned down the saw collection my previous Stihl & Solo by design where less friendly within vibration reduction . My vintage Pioneers are by far the worst offenders , however I keep a short leash on those ole girls !:chainsaw:

Anything with springs is better than rubber mounts. Some models are smoother for sure in their cc class. Firmer springs or softer springs both have there place too. Most modern pro saws are pretty nice to run by the quality brands. My 681 is damn smooth for a 5 cube saw, my Contra will crab walk off into the abliss if you set it down on flat surface, tis a bit of a bone rattler.

I have run nearly all Stihl and Husqvarna from last 30 years, and am currently running 550xp MKII and 572xp and somtimes 462 and 661 but the smoothest saw i have ever run is the 576xp. I love the older Stihl 044 046 and 066 but after cutting for a long time they make my hands tingle and one or two fingers turn white now that i'm older, shoot even my old 394xp is smooth compared to them. 576xp is like cadillac smooth

I have run nearly all Stihl and Husqvarna from last 30 years, and am currently running 550xp MKII and 572xp and somtimes 462 and 661 but the smoothest saw i have ever run is the 576xp. I love the older Stihl 044 046 and 066 but after cutting for a long time they make my hands tingle and one or two fingers turn white now that i'm older, shoot even my old 394xp is smooth compared to them. 576xp is like cadillac smooth
Yep in the 70 + cc class the 576 xp is smooth running heavy hitter . I have owned one for a few yrs and its my go to saw for the bigger felling requirements !

Plus 1 to the guys who mentioned a chain goes a long way in smoothness. When I picked up my first saw (038av) for $125 at a garage sale. I didn’t know anything about saws...at all! Well, that chain was on there way too long and I young and dumb just kept cutting. That saw would jump in my hands and take forever to cut. Picked up a new chain, which was way overdue, and OMG: what a difference in smoothness. I apologized to the chainsaw for not getting a new chain sooner! ;) Then I discovered chain maintenance and everything else that comes with owning a saw.
I bought a new 461 that I absolutely love and now I have a 362. 362 is a little smoother, but I think chain maintenance is a huge factor.
I didn't realize how much difference the chain made in smoothness until today. My Husqvarna 545 came with the x cut sp33 chain. It cuts great and very smooth. Today I put a Stihl yellow chain on it and did some cutting. It cuts great too but not nearly as smooth as the Husqvarna chain, like using 2 different saws.

7900 Dolmar is very smooth. Also, 576xp, ms441, and I hear great things about the 572.
All these including the 572, but the 576 is smoothest.
I remember when I first got one running it in a 18" pine with a fresh chain, I kept getting very close to dropping out the bottom of the cut into the ground, it was so smooth that it deceived you as to how fast it was going.
A chain that's well tuned to the saw/conditions/operator helps greatly on any saw.
2252 with a well tuned square chain in frozen black locust.

Latest posts

Back