Snap Ring Install tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys looking for anyone who has used the Stihl Snap ring install tool 5910 890 2212. can it be used on any other saws ( rings) ?
How easy does it make the process and is it worth the $95 to $145 for the obviously gold plated tool.

yes i know just walk the springs on but some times you get to the point where you want to work faster not cheaper. once a tool junkie always a tool junkie.

Or the screwdriver goes in your thumb, like mine did recently!

Unfortunately, I think that tool is wrist pin diameter specific, and that one only works ones with a 12mm pin.

"Screwdriver" ..hey great idea !!! ...let see if I can jam one in my thumb too...
maybe cut a little groove in one to compress the ring in some.

what other saws use the 10mm other then the venerable 044 ? the smaller saws ?

"Screwdriver" ..hey great idea !!! ...let see if I can jam one in my thumb too...
maybe cut a little groove in one to compress the ring in some.

what other saws use the 10mm other then the venerable 044 ? the smaller saws ?
Quite a few smaller than 044 use 10mm. 361 uses 11mm. IIRC, 038 used 13mm. There are plenty of variations. That tool would be most useful on the tiny circlips on the trimmers and blowers.

I was just chuckling here reading these replies....... funny stuff but very true

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

wonder if you are better off buying the smaller version then the larger..assuming you can still get the smaller one to work with the larger wrist pin diam.

No it won't. It is ridiculously easy to install the circlip with the tool. Once you use it, you will never ever use a screwdriver again. You'll never wake up in the middle of the night worrying about that circlip you hope iis going to be OK. LOL. It is expensive, but for a dealer it's a must.

I use needle nosed pliers. Hold the clip at one end ant put the other in the groove. It goes in every time, also put your finger over the clip while forcing the clip in to ensure that you don't accidentally loose that thing if it happens to pop out of the plier.

No it won't. It is ridiculously easy to install the circlip with the tool. Once you use it, you will never ever use a screwdriver again. You'll never wake up in the middle of the night worrying about that circlip you hope iis going to be OK. LOL. It is expensive, but for a dealer it's a must.

How many versions is there and how many do you have to own ???

I would think that just about everywhere in the shop I look there should be a piston circlip lying around. However they seem to evaporate. I shot off three of them in the last week and found one. I have one of those big magnets on wheels and when I sweep the shop I run that over the debris pile to find all the bits I've lost in the past. Maybe the distant past.

Back