Snap Ring Install tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that just about everywhere in the shop I look there should be a piston circlip lying around. However they seem to evaporate. I shot off three of them in the last week and found one. I have one of those big magnets on wheels and when I sweep the shop I run that over the debris pile to find all the bits I've lost in the past. Maybe the distant past.

They will come back to haunt you...like an ex-wife...when you least expect or want them to...like in a tire tube or a toe. But they will reappear.

I have the Bux tools for the 10mm and 12mm clips. They are awesome and worth every penny if you work on saws for a living. Great to have even if you don't work on them professionally.

ok so it seems we are all tooooo cheap since nobody owns own....can we start with the "tricks" to installing them w/o the tool...

and then the tricks for finding the rings after the "tricks" don't work the first time ???
The trick is to practice. Get it in the right spot just close to cutaway then flip it in with a really sharp new pick easy peasy.

I have set of those in different sizes for the different saws I like them a lot better than the bux tools but figuring out how to use one the first time was a little bit of an experience
Dave

It took a minute to figure out..........

:laugh:

How much are they?

Pretty pricey. We have a lot of Stihl's special tools, but the clip installer is way cool.

That part number comes with a #12 head, which is meant for 12 MM rings. Mine came with a #10 head which is for 10MM rings, i.e. 026, 036, MS 290. The #10 head compressed the rings too much. They would not come back to the proper dia. It would be interesting to see if your #12 head would work on a 10MM ring. If my tool didn't compress the rings so much it would have been perfect. Very easy to use. I have bought the Bux Tool, but have not used it yet.

Watched the BUX tool video on youtube. It seems pretty straight forward to me. Maybe even cheaper? :reading:

That part number comes with a #12 head, which is meant for 12 MM rings. Mine came with a #10 head which is for 10MM rings, i.e. 026, 036, MS 290. The #10 head compressed the rings too much. They would not come back to the proper dia. It would be interesting to see if your #12 head would work on a 10MM ring. If my tool didn't compress the rings so much it would have been perfect. Very easy to use. I have bought the Bux Tool, but have not used it yet.

there's one for 8mm, 10mm and 12mm clips....,and no they don"t interchange....
I ended up buying the 8mm Stihl tool as the little ones are "fun" for old eyes and bad hands.

I use the Stihl 12 mm tool on Meteor pistons without much issue. Just go slow and they snap right in.

like most of the Stihl tools it seems expensive until you use it :)
an OEM circlip is pretty inexpensive until you figure how much money you aren't making while you look all over the dirty shop floor and then drive to the dealer to buy a replacement :)
When I have time to work on saws, I like to actually work on saws rather than crawl around under my bench looking for a circlip :)
the 200T is 1000x easier with the tool, I hardly ever work on saws that need the 10mm, but the 12mm and 8/9mm are super handy
Dave

I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers with a slight groove cut near the end. They work very well.

I ground the ends down on a pair of needlenose so the clip does not have as far to go to slip into the groove. The clips with the loop on each end are dead easy to remove/install. Its too bad the quality is not there. But I often wonder how much you bend a good clip(ie:Stihl) by forcing it into the groove with pliers. It may defeat the purpose of re-using the Stihl clips. Echo saws have a bend in one end of the clip that makes it somewhat easier, but they can still end up on the opposite side of the shop!

Back