Snellerized MS461 on the dyno

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome work Chad!! Brad your saw ran okay I guess.:)

I have always been a firm believer, that a well broken in saw is a different animal. :muscle:

I highly agree! I can tell a big difference with a ''loose'' saw over a tight new one.

They run freeer (is that a word lol), rev faster, and make more power.

No fights from me.

Looks like Brad's is stronger to me.

I'm still wondering about that weird spot at the end of the run on Keith's saw though. Whatever that was made his saw fall off before it really should have.

We'll prolly never know what caused that though.......

No fights from me.

I'm still wondering about that weird spot at the end of the run on Keith's saw though. Whatever that was made his saw fall off before it really should have.

Randy it had some sort of hesitation before it hit full rpm which myself and Chad both noticed. When I got the saw back it was flooding badly . I cleaned the carb and found the choke shaft was sticking and not rotating freely at all. After cleaning everything havent noticed the hesitation to full rpm since. Runs like a wildcat!!

No fights from me.

I wouldn't make that assumption Randy. Yours squeaked out a tiny bit more at max hp at 10,000 rpms if you look at % gained vs stock. Different fuel was used on that test back then. Nobody can make that call unless both saws are run at the same time with the same fuel.

Chad got a question. Do u remember where u tuned my saw to wot? Seems like I remember 13800? When I got that saw back it was 4 stroking out to 15000 and didnt clean up until about 15200 to 15400. I actually called Randy and ask him where the heck to tune the thing since it was 4 stroking out so high. Wonder if my saw woulda been tuned to 15400 for the dyno test if that woulda made a difference?

Chad, I have said this before: get a patent on that beach. The guy that invented the push button socket release for the Craftsman ratchet got screwed royally by missing out on patent rights... etc.
He actually sued.
He won because he didn't work in R&D. Not part of his job.
It was years later.
At least that's the story I heard. $61million I think.

Chad got a question. Do u remember where u tuned my saw to wot? Seems like I remember 13800? When I got that saw back it was 4 stroking out to 15000 and didnt clean up until about 15200 to 15400. I actually called Randy and ask him where the heck to tune the thing since it was 4 stroking out so high. Wonder if my saw woulda been tuned to 15400 for the dyno test if that woulda made a difference?
I't could have possibly been a tad leaner. I like to tune them so I hear them clear up on the dyno loaded to 1000-1500 rpms lower than unloaded top speed.

I't could have possibly been a tad leaner. I like to tune them so I hear them clear up on the dyno loaded to 1000-1500 rpms lower than unloaded top speed.
I've been burned before trying to squeak out more power by leaning them out a bit more. That was a while ago. I've learned a lot since then.

I wouldn't make that assumption Randy. Yours squeaked out a tiny bit more at max hp at 10,000 rpms if you look at % gained vs stock. Different fuel was used on that test back then. Nobody can make that call unless both saws are run at the same time with the same fuel.

.789 increase to be exact. I looked back in the weather archives and found the weather data for the August date when I tested it and yesterdays data and entered it in the calculator. .944 correction brings yesterdays stock 461 max hp to 6.4hp. 8/22/14 has a correction of 1.008 bringing its max hp to 6.04 hp
So with the corrections added my stock 461 gained .36 hp since it was last tested. That could have very well been from a good thorough break in.

Wasn't your saw new, not broken in at that time? Correction factors earlier showed your saw to have picked up quite a bit of HP since then.

I'm quite confident this saw wasn't actually turning 15,400. I previously told the owner of this saw that his tach wasn't reading right. Besides, I've never seen one of my 461s turn that many RPMs. I think we can lay that to rest.

Wasn't your saw new, not broken in at that time? Correction factors earlier showed your saw to have picked up quite a bit of HP since then.
It was fairly new then. It had more run time this past summer and fall than it had before. I'm also a believer that todays oils make it more of a challenge to break a saw in quickly. A heavy load is what they need. A loaded engine has more force on the piston at ignition through its down stroke. The rings are forced out against the cylinder with more force as the pressure increases with load.

I'm quite confident this saw wasn't actually turning 15,400. I previously told the owner of this saw that his tach wasn't reading right. Besides, I've never seen one of my 461s turn that many RPMs. I think we can lay that to rest.
No doubt and way around it my saw with a stihl edt 8 was turning 15400 and still 4 stroking around 15000 or so. When I called Randy and ask him what to tune to he recommended me to not run it like that so I backed it down to 14200

So the hybrid will turn more rpm Brad? Seems I remember on one of your videos seeing the hybrid tuned to 15400?

Back