Snellerized MS461 on the dyno

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run tractors on dyno's all the time at work. It does not strain a true working tractor more than what it was intended for. On Saturday I ran a 360 hp New Holland T8.360 on our dyno and the performance monitor in the tractor said it was at 100% engine load at rated test pull down rpm. Yesterday I had that same tractor hooked to a 12 row pivot planter and moved it to a location down the road 2 miles. The performance monitor said 118% engine load when pulling Hills at road speed.
I must have been mistaken. I thought you were testing to maximum levels not 100% rating. My experience is with 2 cylinder Deere's. Stroked & bored then tested for maximum output and all we had was the needle on the dyno, the rpm gauge and temp gauge. Most importantly our ears. We were taking stock JD G's up to 120hp at the PTO.

I must have been mistaken. I thought you were testing to maximum levels not 100% rating. My experience is with 2 cylinder Deere's. Stroked & bored then tested for maximum output and all we had was the needle on the dyno, the rpm gauge and temp gauge. Most importantly our ears. We were taking stock JD G's up to 120hp at the PTO.

If you are testing a tractor that has a clutch and cooling system design for less than 50 hp and you hop it up to 120 hp and run it ar full load, then of course you are going to put a strain on things.

These saws are putting out more than their rated hp, but it's still within the parameters of what the chassis can handle. After all, they are still worksaws and can be used hour after hour. If they couldn't, these builders wouldn't be so busy.

IMG_20140506_223944_553_zpsoe04hfia.jpg

This an MS 660 on the dyno taken a while back less the electronic testing equipment. I also added an electric fan on the oil cooler.
Chad, That's a nice looking set up.

Love the sound of a big bore G in the morning...
Surprised they didn't shell the PTO.
My R did...

A 390 will be faster than a 395 until the wood gets big, then the torque of the 395 will take over. The 390 makes more RPMs. Both are quad port cylinders, but of different design. The 390 transfer draw directly from the base of the cylinder where as the 395 takes in through the cylinder wall like a MS660. Both are great saws.

Latest posts

Back