Snkes.... Arghhhhh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are your Copperheads more Venomous than ours?

Are your Rattlers More venomous than ours?

Ever see the damage a Brown Recluse does?

Would you feel like s hit if he got bit by one of these after giving this advise?

First off, I have been bit by a recluse, so yes I do know what they can do!
Second venomous snakes prefer warm climates, I have never seen a
a venomous snake in the north. I have seen snakes people thought were
venomous but when I seen the snake I knew different! I said usually
not found as; possibilities always exist no matter how rare they may be!
In areas in the south they are certainties, not rarities and I have seen
all our snakes, including coral which are rare! I used to catch cottonmouths, copperheads,and rattlers and know in an instant the differences. I had someone scream cottonmouth at a lake in Indiana once and I went over and caught the banded water snake, took my knife and opened its mouth to prove to the scared man, it was not poisonous as no fangs. Do I say never no, copperheads may make it there until you have a severe winter and there is a rare common rattler found on occasion in the north.The rarity of someone getting bit by a venomous snake in the north is about the same as being hit by a meteor!

Last edited:
His snakes are more ignorant than ours.:hmm3grin2orange:

No my friend, the word you are seeking is numerous! I have been
in the north and never even though I tried, seen a poisonous snake.
I tell you; here at my place if at night better have on the chaps and
leather gauntlet glove around my piles, of course if you seen my piles
you would understand! I have also trimmed the powerlines in Sweetwater
Texas and felt the ground shake from denned rattlers, this is where the
worlds largest rattlesnake roundup is!

Last edited:
Ok I looked it up for you here are the ones you have even though
rare I would suggest you become familiar with the so you can be
prepared!

The three venomous species of snakes in Pennsylvania are the northern copperhead, eastern massasauga rattlesnake, and timber rattlesnake. Reports of venomous snakebites in Pennsylvania are rare. Bites usually occur while a person is trying to catch or carelessly handle one of these snakes. All of these species are usually non-aggressive and prefer to avoid confrontation. Thus, they often quietly move away from an approaching human or remain completely still and allow what they perceive as a threat to pass by

Here are the ones in Ar and way more numerous as well
as more species!

Venomous Species in Arkansas
Species Behavior of a Bite Statistics (from eMedicine)
Texas Coral Snake
(Micrurus tener tener) Venom is highly neurotoxic, blocking nervous system communications. It is possible for a bite to incur very little localized pain or swelling, yet still be life-threatening. Heart, lung, and kidney functions may begin to fail as the venom is absorbed into the blood stream. Respiratory support may be required for up to a week and victims may suffer persistent weakness for weeks to months. In the US, Coral Snakes are responsible for less than 1% of venomous snake bites in the US. Most people bitten by coral snakes are handling them intentionally. Probably less than 20 bites occur per year (though 61 alleged bites were reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers in 1998). No deaths related to Coral Snake bites have been reported in the US since Coral Snake antivenom became available. Before that time, the estimated case fatality rate was 10%.
S. Copperhead
(Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix) Venom is hemotoxic. Swelling occurs at the site of bite and surrounding area. Although painful, fatalities from a bite are extremely rare. Venom is less potent than other venomous snakes in Arkansas. In the US, Copperheads are responsible for about 25% of venomous snake bites. The American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) has reported no mortality from Copperhead envenomation since its first annual report in 1983.
W. Cottonmouth
(Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma) Venom is highly hemotoxic. Intense swelling, pain, and tissue destruction occurs at the site of the bite. Severe bites on extremities (fingers or toes) may result in permanent damage, disfigurement, or even loss of digits. In the US, Cottonmouth are responsible for about 10% of venomous snake bites. The American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) has reported no mortality from Cottonmouth envenomation since its first annual report in 1983.
W. Diamondback Rattlesnake
(Crotalus atrox) Venom is highly hemotoxic. A severe bite from a larger snake could prove very serious. In addition to swelling and pain at the site of the bite, system-wide failures (ex: heart, lungs, kidneys) may occur. Rattlesnakes (includes all species) cause about 75% of all bites by identified venomous snakes in the US. Dry bites, in which there is no envenomation, occur in as many as 50% of strikes. An average of 5.5 deaths per year occur as a result of snake bite in the US, most of these after Rattlesnake bites.
Timber Rattlesnake
(Crotalus horridus) Venom is highly hemotoxic. Symptoms are similar to that of a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake bite. See statistics for the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.
W. Pigmy Rattlesnake
(Sistrurus miliarius streckeri) Venom is hemotoxic. Due to the relatively small size of this snake, fatalities from a bite are essentially unknown. Symptoms are similar to that of a Copperhead bite. See statistics for the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, but be cautious of over-interpretation... Pigmy Rattlesnakes are one of the smallest species of Rattlesnakes and unable to deliver a deadly dose of venom. I suspect that only a very small number of reported bites in the US can be attributed to this snake.

Have removed of my share of copperheads from my woodpile here in maryland.
It says you have 2 timber and northern copperhead and what I have experienced is they are in rare numbers compared to the south! I lived
in Indiana and Michigan and cut miles of brush and never once saw
a poisonous snake. Give me one warm day here I will show you many!

To top all that off we have scorpions! I have been very lucky,
have climbed dead pines only to find ten sandwiched between
loose bark and wood! Even though we do have snow, it is rare
compared to your location, as are; poisonous snakes when compared
to mine!

Last edited:
This little wiggler was found near an overpass here in Hot Springs. A blue ribbon prize winner for sure. I've never killed one bigger than four feet:cry:

rattler1.jpg

This little wiggler was found near an overpass here in Hot Springs. A blue ribbon prize winner for sure. I've never killed one bigger than four feet:cry:

rattler1.jpg

Nice western I saw that pic and was trying to find the one
a timber rattler in warren ar a little over nine foot did you
see it?

Nice western I saw that pic and was trying to find the one
a timber rattler in warren ar a little over nine foot did you
see it?

Yes I did see an old picture of a huge rattler. The one I saw was on the wall of the guard house at Potlatch Lumber Company in Warren. I used to do design work for them at the pine sawmill and at the Bradley hardwood mill.

We live between Hot Springs & Benton (near crow's station) & my wife ran over one on the Narrows road close to our home. She said it stretched nearly across the road and felt like she ran over a speed break. It kept on going as if nothing had happened. I was gone & didn't get to see it, but I think of it when out at night sometimes! :jawdrop:

Most of those I see are timber rattlers. My neighbor killed a five footer at the bottom of our 1/4mile driveway next to the road. We live on the Middle fork & I see some prime cotton mouths every summer. Also a few copperheads and an occasional pigmy rattler. You haven't lived until you have a 7ft. black snake coil around your bare leg!

Last edited:
Yes I did see an old picture of a huge rattler. The one I saw was on the wall of the guard house at Potlatch Lumber Company in Warren. I used to do design work for them at the pine sawmill and at the Bradley hardwood mill.

We live between Hot Springs & Benton (near crow's station) & my wife ran over one on the Narrows road close to our home. She said it stretched nearly across the road and felt like she ran over a speed break. It kept on going as if nothing had happened. I was gone & didn't get to see it, but I think of it when out at night sometimes! :jawdrop:

Well I hear ya I am ten miles from Narrows rd and saw a huge
one on kirk rd that took up th whole road they are out there!
Makes you think in turkey season!

It says you have 2 timber and northern copperhead and what I have experienced is they are in rare numbers compared to the south! I lived
in Indiana and Michigan and cut miles of brush and never once saw
a poisonous snake. Give me one warm day here I will show you many!

Maryland is a tempermental state when it comes to the weather here. Its not cold enough to keep the irritating critters away but it keeps them thin. They are more prominant in the hay barns though. Black snakes around here are commonly confused for copperheads though.

Maryland is a tempermental state when it comes to the weather here. Its not cold enough to keep the irritating critters away but it keeps them thin. They are more prominant in the hay barns though. Black snakes around here are commonly confused for copperheads though.

I understand but how anyone can confuse a copper head with a
blacksnake is confusing! I once had a customer trying to kill a
speckled King snake she thought was a rattler! I took away her
shovel and caught the poor snake and told her what they eat
and assured her to not kill it even convinced her to touch it
to show her it was not slimmy! I then let the snake go and
she was grateful to have it around killing the bad ones!

To the original poster a good dog is the answer I have sulpher
and mothballs out and still have snakes but a good yard dog
is hard to beat! When I was a kid in Texas I had an austrailian
Shepard and named him bojo he would go out in front of me
killing snakes as I walked to the pond in tall grass. I would have
been bitten if it were not for that dog!

Last edited:
Brown recluse

Brown recluse spiders will kill you as quick as a snake,I was bitten by one,did not get treatment for about one week, big mastake,was in hosp for a week on IVs, one more week in nerseing home. the worst thing about it is no cure for the venom. can reacure at any time. belive me is not a fun trip.............

1.Tie a 6' leash to a plump field mouse doped up on chloroform. 2. Place a nylon webbed lawn chair 20' from woodpile, quartering away.3. Screw the poly choke on your favorite 12 ga.(preferably with low power scope) as tight as it will go (channelocks if necessary.)4.Load 12 ga. with your favorite turkey load (or goose or whatever you have available)5. Place your buttocks in the lawnchair in a comfortable shooting position with adequate shooting support (benchrest or sandbags if desired.6. Crack open a cold one and place on ground adjacent to triggerhand side of lawnchair.(for safety). 7. Wait,.. and be vewy vewy qwiet!! :cheers: Once again I've added absolutely nothing to this site!!:yoyo:

Brown recluse spiders will kill you as quick as a snake,I was bitten by one,did not get treatment for about one week, big mastake,was in hosp for a week on IVs, one more week in nerseing home. the worst thing about it is no cure for the venom. can reacure at any time. belive me is not a fun trip.............

I got bit on the side of my belly climbing and it looked like a blow
torch was burnt into me,took antibiotics and was ok! Some people
react different to the venom and can die and if you are allergic to
bees, you stand a higher chance of a bad reaction! There is no
anti venom for the bite, so you either react violent or not so server,
my side looked bad for a month or two big blister!

Last edited:
Back