Snkes.... Arghhhhh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I say never no, copperheads may make it there until you have a severe winter and there is a rare common rattler found on occasion in the north.The rarity of someone getting bit by a venomous snake in the north is about the same as being hit by a meteor!

Ok I looked it up for you here are the ones you have even though
rare I would suggest you become familiar with the so you can be
prepared!

The three venomous species of snakes in Pennsylvania are the northern copperhead, eastern massasauga rattlesnake, and timber rattlesnake.

First things first:

I didn't need to look this up as I have seen them in person and knew they existed here, you had to look it up for yourself after I corrected your bad advise.

Your welcome.:dizzy:

Second, Idont care how Bad-ass you think your snakes are, or your "clit eastwould" attitude is, wrong is wrong and giving advise your are unsure of is foolish and endangers others needlessly.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Recluse that bit you hadn't bit you on the brain, as I can never tell if your PWI or just dumb or both, but please try to post legible sentences for us Northerners will ya Clint.

We don't read gibberish too well.

If your posts were any harder to read we would have to call you Dope-in-saddle.:dizzy:

Holy bullets in the bonfire batman your such a bad-ass.:monkey:

Tell ya what, put down the rifle and the Six shooter and come out east and Ill take you to the "New" old west, Camden New Jersey, aka, Murder capitol of the world. You can prattle on to the bloods and crips about how hard life on the range is.

Yep, just you and me walking through Camden late at night amongst the thug snakes and the thug bugs. I'm betting one of us will have some new stories to tell and the other wont be going home.

Oh Bury me not....
On the lone prairie......
Cause I mouthed off to a crip......
And he broke it off in me.....

Such a sad old timey song, but it will do as your eulogy.......

First things first:

I didn't need to look this up as I have seen them in person and knew they existed here, you had to look it up for yourself after I corrected your bad advise.

Your welcome.:dizzy:

Second, Idont care how Bad-ass you think your snakes are, or your "clit eastwould" attitude is, wrong is wrong and giving advise your are unsure of is foolish and endangers others needlessly.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Recluse that bit you hadn't bit you on the brain, as I can never tell if your PWI or just dumb or both, but please try to post legible sentences for us Northerners will ya Clint.

We don't read gibberish too well.

If your posts were any harder to read we would have to call you Dope-in-saddle.:dizzy:

Holy bullets in the bonfire batman your such a bad-ass.:monkey:

Tell ya what, put down the rifle and the Six shooter and come out east and Ill take you to the "New" old west, Camden New Jersey, aka, Murder capitol of the world. You can prattle on to the bloods and crips about how hard life on the range is.

Yep, just you and me walking through Camden late at night amongst the thug snakes and the thug bugs. I'm betting one of us will have some new stories to tell and the other wont be going home.

Oh Bury me not....
On the lone prairie......
Cause I mouthed off to a crip......
And he broke it off in me.....

Such a sad old timey song, but it will do as your eulogy.......

First off, go back to the post and see I said usually not never!
I did not tell him to stick his hands into the brush! And as far
as ; dope in the saddle who are you to judge raised by thugs:laugh:
I tell you what, I don't care for gangs and thugs and you are calling
me dumb? Go ahead and wear your blue or whatever color into the
wholly swamp, see if you still talk so loud. I really don't get
with what you are speaking of; stupid aimless violence is not
my cup of tea!

Last edited:
Aww heck you are in PA the snakes you have are not usually poisonous
if ever!

Second venomous snakes prefer warm climates I have never seen a
a venomous snake in the north
. I have seen snakes people thought were
venomous but when I seen the snake I knew different! The rarity of someone getting bit by a venomous snake in the north is about the same as being hit by a meteor!

I have been
in the north and never even though tried seen a poisonous snake.

I lived
in Indiana and Michigan
and cut miles of brush and never once saw
a poisonous snake. Give me one warm day here I will show you many!

Heres what you have said. If I read it correctly, and this is nearly impossable due to horrible diction, sentance structure and the total lack of puncuation, you dont believe there are poisonus snakes in PA?

The guy starting the thread is from PA, Im from PA and Im really not sure if anyone knows where your coming from. What do Indiana and Michigan have to do with Pennsylvanias wildlife? Your posts are so difficult to read, the only saving grace is that no rational person would give them a second look.

An analogy to what your saying would be:

I grew up on a highway and never got hit by a car, so tell your kids to go play in the street.:dizzy:

Would it matter where a person was if they got bit by a poisonus snake?

Does it matter that you have never seen one?

Heres what you have said. If I read it correctly, and this is nearly impossable due to horrible diction, sentance structure and the total lack of puncuation, you dont believe there are poisonus snakes in PA?

The guy starting the thread is from PA, Im from PA and Im really not sure if anyone knows where your coming from. What do Indiana and Michigan have to do with Pennsylvanias wildlife? Your posts are so difficult to read, the only saving grace is that no rational person would give them a second look.

An analogy to what your saying would be:

I grew up on a highway and never got hit by a car, so tell your kids to go play in the street.:dizzy:

Would it matter where a person was if they got bit by a poisonus snake?

Does it matter that you have never seen one?

You have made some points, and all people living where poisonous snakes
are found, should know the ones in their area! Indiana is in or near the same equatorial line as pa, and as I said, I have cut brush many miles without seeing one of any poisonous variety! What I was trying to get at was;in summer, cutting brush here, you will see a poisonous snake. They are much more plentiful! I did not say go up to any snake in the north and pick it up. It would be beneficial for anyone to know the differences in a
poisonous variety and non poisonous. I am sorry you took offense as;that is not what I meant to achieve.

Last edited:
Alright, I have to give in....

R&S, I think your a good guy!

I was just feeling rambunctious and wanted to entertain the folks at home. I envy your lifestyle and often wish I lived in a more wild part of the country.

I dont run with gangs, though some think otherwise. I do have to cross paths with these types occasionally and there is as much "Technique" involved in handeling either kind of snake.:cheers:

I picked on your posts and that wasnt cool cause if it werent for spell check, I would seem like a bigger tool than I allready do. I cant fault you cause there isint a puncuation check but I was genuily confused about some of what you were saying.

Next time you can beat up on me for no reason, Deal?:greenchainsaw:

Alright, I have to give in....

R&S, I think your a good guy!

I was just feeling rambunctious and wanted to entertain the folks at home. I envy your lifestyle and often wish I lived in a more wild part of the country.

I dont run with gangs, though some think otherwise. I do have to cross paths with these types occasionally and there is as much "Technique" involved in handeling either kind of snake.:cheers:

I picked on your posts and that wasnt cool cause if it werent for spell check, I would seem like a bigger tool than I allready do. I cant fault you cause there isint a puncuation check but I was genuily confused about some of what you were saying.

Next time you can beat up on me for no reason, Deal?:greenchainsaw:

Hey there pard you know I have thick skin,it gets burnt to no end
in summer! I tried to fix some of my punctuation as you were right
it looked like jibberish to me to! I could not live having to dodge
bullets must be a bit/h!

I ain't never done seeded anything as backassward as youall'd be talkin' bout.

I'm not understanding the direction of the conversation. Wasn't the fella asking about how to deter snakes in a wood pile? I would assume that his choices are either move to Scotland, or get some mothballs and a half-crazed snake hound? :confused:

I've never ran into a timber rattler around here, they are endangered in Michigan. Now when I lived in KY,Ga, and NC........plenty of critters around. I didn't have any issues with the Rattle snakes, they'll let you know where they are, but hated the Copper Heads. Obviously common sense takes presidence. Watching where hands and feet go, especially on a mountain side looking for ginseng. Now I'm getting off track, dang it. It's contagious! :)

I used to run a Wildlife pest control business in Western Pa. We used stuff called Dr. T's Snakeaway. Don't ask me how well it worked because we never got any feedback good or bad.

Sometimes we would show up and set traps and catch lots of snakes. Other times we would show up set traps, not catch any snakes, not put down any repellant and customer never saw snakes again. Sometimes put down repellant only, and never hear from customer again. So its hard to judge. I've seen copperheads just outside the Pittsburgh city limits.

My BIL lives in Columbia SC and I saw rattlesnakes 6 inches deep on the exterior window seals of his office in the fall when it starts cooling off.

I had a half Ausie half border cooly to chase geese with and that thing would gaurd you from anything. Also had a rat terrior mut and a manx cat growing up and between the 2 of them not much lived in the yard shed or garden.

I'm not understanding the direction of the conversation. Wasn't the fella asking about how to deter snakes in a wood pile? I would assume that his choices are either move to Scotland, or get some mothballs and a half-crazed snake hound?

Now that thar is funny.

ropensaddle, I'm fully aware of the type of snake that live in my locale. Almost all are non-poisonous, though as stated prior, I HATE THEM ALL. The Eastern Massagua I believe is on the endangered list, and you more than likely will never cross one in your lifetime. There are Timber Rattlers by the bucketfulls 1 hr south of my locale, in the appalachian mtn range. I do much of my fishing there, and see them nearly every summertime trip, sunning on boulders along the Youghiogheny River. I have Copperheads on my farm. My simpleton cousin actually milked 2 of them. They are more apt to inhabit a woodpile than a rattler, and to tell you the truth, more dangerous, as they give no warning. To be honest with ya, the Eastern Watersnake is HANDS DOWN the most aggressive snake I've ever ran across. They actually have chased me from some streams while fishing. Not sure what they were going to do if they caught me, but they truly are a vicious snake, and luckily for us, non-poisonous.

But... I digress. Back to the original topic, and like I said, I hate even the 6" baby garter, and will run like he!!. Guess mothballs seem like the only practical choice, but Scotland and 12 ga. shotgun warrant some thought.

Now that thar is funny.

ropensaddle, I'm fully aware of the type of snake that live in my locale. Almost all are non-poisonous, though as stated prior, I HATE THEM ALL. The Eastern Massagua I believe is on the endangered list, and you more than likely will never cross one in your lifetime. There are Timber Rattlers by the bucketfulls 1 hr south of my locale, in the appalachian mtn range. I do much of my fishing there, and see them nearly every summertime trip, sunning on boulders along the Youghiogheny River. I have Copperheads on my farm. My simpleton cousin actually milked 2 of them. They are more apt to inhabit a woodpile than a rattler, and to tell you the truth, more dangerous, as they give no warning. To be honest with ya, the Eastern Watersnake is HANDS DOWN the most aggressive snake I've ever ran across. They actually have chased me from some streams while fishing. Not sure what they were going to do if they caught me, but they truly are a vicious snake, and luckily for us, non-poisonous.

But... I digress. Back to the original topic, and like I said, I hate even the 6" baby garter, and will run like he!!. Guess mothballs seem like the only practical choice, but Scotland and 12 ga. shotgun warrant some thought.

:laugh: Yeah I hear ya,and those watersnakes are vicious for sure.
I guess PA is a little more forest than Indiana and forgot they have
some hills there! I have never been there am scared of the anti hunter
regime they supposedly have there:laugh: I guess the northern copperhead
does like its southern cousin, lays in waiting and very camouflaged and
lucky for us, not as poisonous as the cottonmouth or Rattler! It must be
in those aussie bred dogs to rid snakes lol.

Last edited:
Australian Shepherd

To the original poster a good dog is the answer I have sulpher
and mothballs out and still have snakes but a good yard dog
is hard to beat! When I was a kid in Texas I had an austrailian
Shepard and named him bojo he would go out in front of me
killing snakes as I walked to the pond in tall grass. I would have
been bitten if it were not for that dog!

I currently have an Australian Shepherd named Brutis. I am not a big fan of snakes, but I would rather have them around hunting other critters. Brutis is always digging in my bark pile pulling snakes out and whipping them across his neck like a game. We try to keep him away from the snakes but trying to diminish or redirect a shepherd's prey drive is not something that I have time for. The snakes that I find here in Northern NJ are big and long black snakes.

I should add that I do not handle the woodpile in warm season. I get the wood split/stacked by March end, and don't burn until November. I simply get the heebie-jeebies walking by the stack and seeing upwards of 2 dozen at times, sunning themselves. Now y'all are gonna call me a big sissy huh ? :jawdrop:

I have never been there am scared of the anti hunter regime they supposedly have there:laugh:

Bah!

A couple shots in their direction will scatter them. Theres a local protest here every year during the park hunt. Last year someone went around and collected road kill deer and piled them at the entrance of the park where they gether and they went friggin nuts!

6 of them got arrested for incitement to riot/risking a catrostrophy for claiming they were shot by the evil hunters while they looked on.

Yep, the hunters shot dead rotten deer and they all fell into a pile in the road.:monkey:

They lowered the charges to falsifying a report and now they have to petition and regester to protest.:clap:

IDJITS!!!

Back