Snowed-in...what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
...how 'bout a little grinding...

DSCN0945.jpg

DSCN0944.jpg

...this may not end too well, but I need the practice...

I've done the same thing today myself. I worked on the transfers in the 390xp cylinder more. We have around 16" on the ground right now and temperatures dropping below freezing again. The farthest I made it was the garage.

20 plus inches here in WV and still snowing. Guess what - I forgot the chains when we came up Friday night. Doubt I can even make it to the paved road. Tractor won't start to plow.

:bang::bang::bang:

Wow. It hasn't started here yet, but we are ready to go. I worked on my snowblowers back in November. I cant count how many nights I froze my fingers in the garage doing belts or carb work.

It looks like we are going to get by passed again by the big snow. Last time it was northwest of us now it is staying southeast. Good luck folks and stay safe.

What cylinders are you grinding? I'm gonna guess the one on the left is the 288 and the one on the right is a 371.

Suppose to hit us here on the Cape pretty good.
15 or so inches by midday tomorrow. As long as
we don't loose power i will have plenty to do.

I wouldn't have thought you guys down south
would get enough to get snowed it. 20 inches
in W.V. wow.

Lee

Where my wife's family is they got 24" by this morning and it was still snowing in eastern Wv. I'm in the southern part by Va.

Wow. It hasn't started here yet, but we are ready to go. I worked on my snowblowers back in November. I cant count how many nights I froze my fingers in the garage doing belts or carb work.

i just came in from the 1st driveway snowblowin,,, 15-18" already, they're calling for another 6-10" overnight.......... i have a 1963 lawnmaster snow blower, to go with teh old saws.............

What cylinders are you grinding? I'm gonna guess the one on the left is the 288 and the one on the right is a 371.

372xp on left and 371xp on right...trying to figure this porting thing out...

Grind a little, measure, grind some more. It's not too bad I've done 2 of my saws so far. Here's some pictures of my 390 cylinder.
005-3.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-3.jpg

We got right at 2 feet here in the mountains of Pocahontas County, eastern WV. Governor declared a state of emergency, cops trying to get everybody off the roads. I don't know, I think we're turning into a nation of wusses. A little snow and everybody is ready to have a stroke. Listen to the weather weenies on TV and you'd think going outside when it's below 50 degrees means immediate death from hypothermia. Oh well. I guess what I do when snowed in is rant on a forum.

Yeah it took 2 hours to drive 20 miles home yesterday evening. People had wrecked everywhere I wanted to drive.

I am done grinding for a little while I usually only port my own saws I have done two for friends lately meaning I didnt charge cause I just enjoy the ability to tinker I'm not in it to make money I will leave that to the pro saw builders. Looks like you got some work to do I reckon we will see how they turn out at the next GTG I cant wait. By the way did you ever get that 288 Husky straight? I couldnt believe the amount of compression that thing has. I would really like to see how that thing runs.

I got up and went hunting this morning killed one but not as big as I would have liked I have been looking for one to mount but all I ever see are spikes or does but just 5 miles away there was a huge deer killed with a crossbow this year second largest ever taken with a crossbow in NC Some people have all the luck.

...how 'bout a little grinding...

5 am - Wish I could be working on the saws but it's time to shovel, shovel, shovel and try to get the tractor started. In the mean time burning a lot of that firewood I accumulated this fall. :clap::clap::clap:

How much snow makes one "snowed in"?

Dan

Here's what it looked like yesterday morning and it continued to snow all day. Wife, dog and I played on the ATV's and snow shoed for most of the day. Really a fun day but I'd have loved to get a saw out to put down some trees in this snow - just hoping it will stop snowing. Our drive is about a quarter mile up a steep hill with switchbacks.

attachment.php

We got right at 2 feet here in the mountains of Pocahontas County, eastern WV. Governor declared a state of emergency, cops trying to get everybody off the roads. I don't know, I think we're turning into a nation of wusses. A little snow and everybody is ready to have a stroke. Listen to the weather weenies on TV and you'd think going outside when it's below 50 degrees means immediate death from hypothermia. Oh well. I guess what I do when snowed in is rant on a forum.

14 degrees here in Mineral County WV near the top of the mountain. That's Barnum, WV (north east panhandle for those not familiar with WV geography). About 20" when this pic was taken and continued to snow all day. Forecast is for snow flurries thru Friday - that's 6 more days - WHEW. I ain't no weenie, having spent a good part of my life in the mountains of NW Montana, but this is enough! Gotta get back to Virginia as have a flight to sunny Phoenix booked for Xmas day.

Those of you in warm country - enjoy. Those in front of this storm get your firewood gathered and those of us in the midst of it all - ENJOY!

:cheers:

Back