So butchered - even Google Earth shows it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
A few folks contacted me about working north in Beaverton, Oregon, to prune trees.

I used Google Earth to see where one house was located in the Highland Hills neighborhood.

When zooming in, I noticed a bizarre shadow in the street, from a house across the street.

It looked like the shadow of a tree that was butchered. When I asked the people that I was to be working for, they said that the tree was indeed topped and almost alien looking.

Day before yesterday, I worked there, and sure enough, it was a severely butchered white oak. In the attached image, it probably was as full as the big trees on it's left and on it's right. Canopies as big as roof tops for coverage. Now it is just sticks. You can see it's strange looking shadow in the street caught by the satellite.

attachment.php

Last edited:
:jawdrop: I'm not even sure what to say about this one...

what a sad looking tree.

do you think you can go out to the street and wave to us so we can see you...:camera: :jester:

First thing I thought of was one of these things:

022307%20004.jpg

except huge and growing over top of somebody's house. Either way, it looks ugly from any view. Maybe aliens?

Mark Currie

First thing I thought of was one of these things:

022307%20004.jpg

except huge and growing over top of somebody's house. Either way, it looks ugly from any view. Maybe aliens?

Mark Currie

Another tree that came to mind before I started to realize it may be a butchered tree, was a Ginkgo. I've seen a few Ginkgos before with very open habits.

As Nailsbeats said ... "firewood"

It's one of those kind of toppings where minimal sprouts grow, and conks are on their way. I was going to take a photo, but skipped it, figuring that the satellite image shadow tells the story very well.

What a waste of a good tree.

You shold take a picture from the ground and put it on GoogleEarth's geographic web (or whatever it is that users post pictures). Even 'credit' the work if you know who did it.

Maybe if you got their name and address out(there should be a list of names and addresses of people who have trees topped) and we could each send them an ISA flier on why not to top trees and maybe they will get the message and remove the tree.:chainsaw:

Maybe if you got their name and address out(there should be a list of names and addresses of people who have trees topped) and we could each send them an ISA flier on why not to top trees and maybe they will get the message and remove the tree.:chainsaw:

That would be "Sweet"

Like that scene in the movie Miracle on 34th Street where all that mail is delivered.

Could you imagine the expression on their face?

let them hack up as many trees as they want the big thing here is: Are you telling me you can see my house from your computer? No, that is not good. You are kidding me. WTF happened? No No No, not good.

Latest posts

Back