So I weighed my load of firewood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
...and found that it was pretty heavy. The trailer is a tandem axle 18' long x 83" wide BigTex 70CH (car hauler) that a friend/neighbor lets me use. He had bought the trailer (used) and it had been sitting in his yard for months. I had asked him what he used the trailer for and part of his reply was that "every farm/acerage needs a trailer..." - and he needed the 7000 lb GVWR car hauler - instead of a lighter duty utility trailer??? I think he's doing pretty good for himself cause recently he bought a nice little Kubota (with a front-end loader and bush hog) for something to play with - after all "every farm/acerage needs a tractor..." :) . And he can haul his tractor on his trailer if need be...good excuse for the wife :laugh: .So I asked to borrow it (trailer) and told him what I wanted to do with it and he said use it for as long as you want and for however long you want. So I'm glad he had that trailer sitting there doing nothing :) . I built sides for it to haul firewood, and I have wondered how heavy is the trailer with a "good" load of firewood on, because I've already hauled quite a few loads with the trailer. Recently I found out where a new truck stop had been built that had a public weigh scale for tractor-trailers, and it was near where I've been getting my wood lately. So yseterday I got a "good" load of Oak (and a few pieces of Hickory) on (trying to keep in mind that my pull vehicle is my F-150 4X4 1/2 ton with upgraded rear shocks and Timbren springs) and went to the scale. Probably looked funny...but I wanted to know. Trailer and wood weighed 7250 lbs (trailer weighs 1960 empty, so the wood weighed 5290) - I surely wasn't expexting that!!! :eek: . I didn't realize that the Oak (some green and some not so green) weighed so much. I'll definitely need to not load so much wood next time. I was trying to load a little more cause the wood is about a hour and 15 mins. away, and I still have about 2 or 3 trailer loads available - might have to stretch it to 4 loads. It's wood from a friend who has a tree service business and the place where he dumps the wood is easy to get to and nice straight pieces. Why did I post all this? Cause I wanted to, and some of y'all might be interested :) .

Here's a couple pictures of the load I weighed (the sides on the trailer are approx 28" from the trailer floor):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kevin

Good post Kevin! I have an F-150 as well, and it's good to know that I could tow that!

Good post Kevin! I have an F-150 as well, and it's good to know that I could tow that!

My '97 F-150 has the 4.6L and 3:55 gears. It pulls it fine in Drive (Overdrive locked out), but the Timbren springs are maxed out, and the steering feels light with the front end sitting higher. I should use a weight distribution hitch system, but can't afford the approx. $300 cost. The specs for my truck say that the max trailer weight is 6600 lbs. The trailers total weight should only be 7000 lbs. - but I shall fix that with lighter loading. Ideally, I'd like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, and I might have access to an old (1982 F-350, dually, 4 speed manual, 351) that I would borrow and pay for the insurance - but the wiring to the 6 pole outlet needs fixing and I'd have to buy a 6 pole to 7 pole adapter to be able to use the trailer brakes. Oh for a money tree... :)

Here's a pic of the truck and trailer with the mentioned load:

attachment.php

Kevin

Last edited:
A cord of green hickory or white oak weighs around 5,000lbs. The oak is a little 'wetter' and therefore a bit heavier than the hickory.

Excellent post! I often wondered what my loads weigh. I know I've been maxed out a few times. The pic with you truck and trailer actually looks fine as far as weight distribution. I'm guessing your hitch also has a 500lb tongue weight limit? That is what always scares me. Around here the scales are run by the state police. I would imagine if you are over your limit, they might make you unload it on the spot and give you a little something in writing to remember the experience...if you get what I mean.

Nice score BTW with the wood. I'm jealous.....

Also, as a former Ford tranny tech I can tell you that your 4R70W hates you.

Make sure you keep it out of OD like you are. Also, keep fresh Mercon V fluid in it and I would stay away from any high dollar synthetic. They are simply too slick.

It would also be wise to put an auxiliary cooler on it.

What are Timbren springs? Excuse the ignorance.

Rubber load boosters. Work awesome for big loads, but kill the ride when empty.

No ignorance, I'd never head of them before a year ago either!! They replace the bumpstops on the rear axle and act like overloads. They are rubber, and when you load it down, they rest on the axle tube. Reasonably priced and work great! I love mine!

Excellent post! I often wondered what my loads weigh. I know I've been maxed out a few times. The pic with you truck and trailer actually looks fine as far as weight distribution. I'm guessing your hitch also has a 500lb tongue weight limit? That is what always scares me. Around here the scales are run by the state police. I would imagine if you are over your limit, they might make you unload it on the spot and give you a little something in writing to remember the experience...if you get what I mean.

Nice score BTW with the wood. I'm jealous.....

Here's the specs on my Reese hitch. For weight-carrying capacity, 700 lb tongue weight and 7000 lb gross trailer weight. For weight-distributing capacity, 1200 lb tongue weight and 12,000 lb gross trailer weight (which I'll never even think about trying with my truck). I drove past a couple of cops on the way home and they looked at me and kept on their way. And there's at least 3 "proper" loads left of that wood.

Kevin

Also, as a former Ford tranny tech I can tell you that your 4R70W hates you.

Make sure you keep it out of OD like you are. Also, keep fresh Mercon V fluid in it and I would stay away from any high dollar synthetic. They are simply too slick.

It would also be wise to put an auxiliary cooler on it.

Yep, I've thought about my 4R70W tranny and would agree. I have recently had the fluid changed with Mercon-Dexron III and also had a tranny cooler installed before I pulled a 4400 lb U-Haul 2000+ miles from my home up in Edmonton, AB, Canada in 2003. Also I did/do keep it out of OD, and I ease it off the line from a dead stop - I am very easy on the throttle when the truck is loaded.

Kevin

No ignorance, I'd never head of them before a year ago either!! They replace the bumpstops on the rear axle and act like overloads. They are rubber, and when you load it down, they rest on the axle tube. Reasonably priced and work great! I love mine!

I love mine too. If they're installed correctly, there should be an approx. 1" gap between the rubber spring and bumpstop. My trucks ride isn't affected when the truck is unloaded.

Kevin

I had a big load of hedge to pick up with my 2500HD a while back, so I decided to pull across the scale before and after to see where I was at. Truck was just under 6800 empty, and right at 10,000 with the load on. Sticker GVWR is 9200, so I was a bit over, but the truck didn't bat an eye. It is amazing how fast wood weight adds up-particularly with green, heavy woods such as oak, hedge, etc.

Back