So I weighed my load of firewood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just happened across this thread, and figured it was right up my alley. I recently bought a #7000 Bri-Mar dump to haul my firewood home in. I took her on her maiden voyage a couple weeks ago when a former neighbor gave me a load of wood. His house is a good forty miles from home, so i wanted to get as much in my truck and trailer as was safe. No opportunity to weigh my trailer yet, but i would like to weigh it loaded as soon as i can, so i get an idea how heavy it is when full..... or perhaps i should say, how much wood i can put in it before its too heavy. The load i brought home was mostly silver maple, with some ash mixed in up in the front of the trailer. My truck is an F-350 w/ a PSD.

Nice unit! If I continue in firewood in years to come, that's what I would like to have - an older F-350, PSD, 4x4, regular cab, long box (or something similar in a Dodge Cummins...:eek: :)). Not sure what I'd do for a trailer.

Kevin

Just happened across this thread, and figured it was right up my alley. I recently bought a #7000 Bri-Mar dump to haul my firewood home in. I took her on her maiden voyage a couple weeks ago when a former neighbor gave me a load of wood. His house is a good forty miles from home, so i wanted to get as much in my truck and trailer as was safe. No opportunity to weigh my trailer yet, but i would like to weigh it loaded as soon as i can, so i get an idea how heavy it is when full..... or perhaps i should say, how much wood i can put in it before its too heavy. The load i brought home was mostly silver maple, with some ash mixed in up in the front of the trailer. My truck is an F-350 w/ a PSD.

thats alittle more than a cord,but go fer it and lemme know what shes at anyhoo im trying to figure a pallet 4x4x4 so i can get an idea for tractor lift capacity with forks

What year model is your F-350?

Kevin

Kevin,
My truck is a late 97..... the very last of the old body style. Haven't had it more than maybe six months..... my little Nissan shortbed just wasn't getting the wood home. Got somewhat lucky.... found it for sale on Craigslist with 62,000 miles on it. It should be plenty rusty before i wear it out (you guys south of the "rust belt" have it made !!). I really had my heart set on a crew cab..... but i just could find an affordable low mile truck. I'm one of those wierdos that refuses to have a car/truck payment. So far i'm more than happy with it. I almost didn't take the contractors cap that came with it.... now i think its the best part of the whole truck ! Fitting three saws plus other crap in the side compartment is no problem.

Haywire,
Sorry, sometimes i get in the habit of using abbreviations that are well known on other forums (DieselStop.com), and i take for granted that everyone knows what they mean.

Kevin,
My truck is a late 97..... the very last of the old body style. Haven't had it more than maybe six months..... my little Nissan shortbed just wasn't getting the wood home. Got somewhat lucky.... found it for sale on Craigslist with 62,000 miles on it. It should be plenty rusty before i wear it out (you guys south of the "rust belt" have it made !!). I really had my heart set on a crew cab..... but i just could find an affordable low mile truck. I'm one of those wierdos that refuses to have a car/truck payment.

That's funny, I sold my Nissan pickup and got a Ford too, but mine is a 95 F-150. I got mine about 6 months ago as well. Same body style though. What year was your Nissan? I detest a car payment myself.

Kevin,
By the way.... i too had a good friend loan me his trailer. In fact.... he insisted i use it for a couple days. It was a 10,000lb DownEaster deckover dump trailer. Once i discovered how much sense it made to haul home so much wood in one trip.... there was no turning back ! I spent the next two months looking for a nice used dump trailer. I'm afraid you too may find yourself owning some type of wood hauling trailer soon.

Scott

That's funny, I sold my Nissan pickup and got a Ford too, but mine is a 95 F-150. I got mine about 6 months ago as well. Same body style though. What year was your Nissan? I detest a car payment myself.

My Nissan is a 97 2wd shortbed..... NO options other than am/fm/cassette. I mean NONE.... no power steering, brakes, nothing ! But.... it was short money, and at the time i was also commuting nearly 90 miles a day to and from work..... needed economy. I now work locally, and could justify driving something that wasn't an economizer. I still have it, it was actually a great truck to me, but it will have to go before summer. Just figured i'd wait till the snow was gone to put a for sale sign on it. It hauled home more firewood than i should have asked it to !

Scott

Kevin,
My truck is a late 97..... the very last of the old body style. Haven't had it more than maybe six months..... my little Nissan shortbed just wasn't getting the wood home. Got somewhat lucky.... found it for sale on Craigslist with 62,000 miles on it. It should be plenty rusty before i wear it out (you guys south of the "rust belt" have it made !!). I really had my heart set on a crew cab..... but i just could find an affordable low mile truck. I'm one of those wierdos that refuses to have a car/truck payment. So far i'm more than happy with it. I almost didn't take the contractors cap that came with it.... now i think its the best part of the whole truck ! Fitting three saws plus other crap in the side compartment is no problem.

I hate any kind of a payment, but I'm trying to work out of some extra debt, so payments is what I'll be doing for a while. Ideally I'd like to sell my present truck (paid for), and buy a family car and an older, decent, low miles 1 ton (preferrably diesel). I had said earlier that I would want a regular cab, but a crew cab (or extended cab) would make better sense for the times when I need to haul people and haul other stuff. But I would have to borrow money to do it right now, so I'll make do for now.

Kevin

Kevin,
By the way.... i too had a good friend loan me his trailer. In fact.... he insisted i use it for a couple days. It was a 10,000lb DownEaster deckover dump trailer. Once i discovered how much sense it made to haul home so much wood in one trip.... there was no turning back ! I spent the next two months looking for a nice used dump trailer. I'm afraid you too may find yourself owning some type of wood hauling trailer soon.

Scott

I'm always researching stuff, so when I saw your dump trailer, I went to the Bri-Mar website to look at their trailers. I live where BigTex trailers are popular, so I'm going to look at their website to dream about what dump trailer I would want :D. I've seen that some dump trailers also come with loading ramps, which would be real handy to roll some of the bigger pieces of wood up to the box - and to load my future 4-wheeler some day :).

Kevin

Ductape;616853The truck pulled it down the road fine said:
Ductape,

Trailer sway is caused by not enough weight on the tongue, not too much. It may of seemed like too much, because the truck had so much weight it in, but its possible it wasn't enough.

Latest posts

Back