So many features!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
With so many features, who wouldn't want one?! This came from last week's Menard's ad:

SPECIAL BUY! 18" Homelite (R) Gas Chainsaw Sale $149 each

Features 45cc Power Stroke (tm) engine with Zipstart (tm) technology. Twist-Tight (tm) chain tensioning, Safe-T-Tip (R) to control rotational kickback and deluxe case with two-cycle engine oil and wrench.

This ad was just too good not to post. It offers an interesting view into what (presumably) appeals to the box-store saw buyer. Between the Trade-Marked and Registered Trade Mark terms, everything on this saw is "special" in some way or another. If this is really meaningful to the average saw consumer, it is no wonder that even Stihl and Husqvarna are working on featurizing their saws with easy-start features, "easy" chain tensioning, and whatnot.

On a related note, for those of you who are dealers, do you have many customers come in who insist on these "gimicky" features? Or is it something that you usually have to sell them on buying?

I think I'll pass on that one...

...then again, I said that about the grinder when you first posted it.

hmmmmmmm

I believe there is an add on to the literature that reads... "Saw should be used no more than 6 times, and then discarded of properly.":dizzy:

Gary

Shouldn't that be "Based on average homeowner use of 1hr per season Saw WILL be used 6 times, and then discarded."

Thats the best I could come up with! :biggrinbounce2:

With so many features, who wouldn't want one?! This came from last week's Menard's ad:

Features 45cc Power Stroke (tm) engine with Zipstart (tm) technology. Twist-Tight (tm) chain tensioning, Safe-T-Tip (R) to control rotational kickback and deluxe case with two-cycle engine oil and wrench.

This ad was just too good not to post. It offers an interesting view into what (presumably) appeals to the box-store saw buyer. Between the Trade-Marked and Registered Trade Mark terms, everything on this saw is "special" in some way or another. If this is really meaningful to the average saw consumer, it is no wonder that even Stihl and Husqvarna are working on featurizing their saws with easy-start features, "easy" chain tensioning, and whatnot.

On a related note, for those of you who are dealers, do you have many customers come in who insist on these "gimicky" features? Or is it something that you usually have to sell them on buying?

Features are easy to sell, quality is harder. People know what quality is, but it takes some brainpower to actually check into it. Far easier to go through life where everything is a commodity and the choice is made on feature sets. Besides, its a Homie, and their Dad or Grandpa probably had one..."its a good brand"...without realizing that the name has been sold 3 or 4 times since then.

Mark

We're a stihl and husky dealer and I almsot never recommend the easy start units unless the customer is older(but not too old and frail..those guys don't need to be sawing anymore) or has problems starting a traditional saw. For the average customer I tell them not to waste their money on a saw with just one mroe thing to go wrong with it. Also, anyone notice that the quick adjust is now available on the 361?

When those big box customer people come into our store I emphasize service and quality over price. They need service a whole lot more than a lot of the people on here do!

Back