So much for global warming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just where is that old woodchuck Al Gore he hasn't popped out of his hole lately.:yoyo:

Saw note about low thirties here overnight in the next couple days. I thinking the weather is just swinging back to 60's-70's. even then I can remember 75 deg. days in the middle of Jan. course then it would dump into a deep freeze for another month or so.

Now they have revised the low temp Saturday night to 10f. now that is getting cold.

Friday Night
Overcast with a chance of snow and a chance of rain. Low of 28F. Winds from the NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 50% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

Saturday
Overcast with a chance of snow and a chance of rain, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. High of 43F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 50% .

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy in the evening, then clear. Low of 10F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph.

Yup.

Calling for possibly 10-12" and sounds like a small blizzard with the winds they are forecasting also.

All I know is we need the moisture BAD so any form of precip is welcome.:msp_thumbup:

Yup.

Calling for possibly 10-12" and sounds like a small blizzard with the winds they are forecasting also.

All I know is we need the moisture BAD so any form of precip is welcome.:msp_thumbup:

No kidding. Have you seen the USGS Drought map that show the water table deficits?:msp_scared:
It's a hell of a thing to wish and pray for, but a really bad winter with precipitation at record levels is needed.

Gimme a two week 60" of snow Blizzard, twice a month, untill April. Ya wont hear a peep of a complaint outta me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I believe in Global Warming. Happens every Spring. Duh.

But now they're throwing around the term "Climate Change," and I believe in that too. See it all the time. :msp_sneaky:

Nah, that would only be Northern Hemisphere Warming....or has someone else coined that already? LOL

Nah, that would only be Northern Hemisphere Warming....or has someone else coined that already? LOL

Yeah, a long time ago. Sme fruit loop came up with the Term "Summer".:msp_biggrin:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I know I had my wood burner fired up at this time last year,but then almost shut it down in November cause it got warm...

I could handle another winter like the last one.

I don't mind the cold so much but I hate it when it seems like I have to deal with snow every weekend on my day off shoveling and snowblowing the driveway and path to my wood when I should be out ice fishing.

We're lookin' at a few cold days here, starting today, lows in the mid 20's... but warming back into the 60, and even possibly 70's over the next 10 days or so. We need rain, and lots of it before freeze-up and snow... but still none in the forecast to matter. What we need is a warm fall/early winter with rain, rain and more rain... but it ain't gonna' happen. I expect this drought to continue right on through the winter, meaning no snow to speak of. Without the show to reflect the solar energy means we'll probably stay warmer than normal, which will suck even more moisture away. My county has already been declared a National Disaster Area, the exceptional drought in Nebraska is creeping closer to us every day and has now entered far west Iowa... next spring/summer is lookin' a bit scary. Odds are good that next year will be dryer than this year.

Just a warning to my friends here...
As the farming, grain producing Midwest shrivels everybody in the nation will be paying the price. The shortage of grain will cause the price to skyrocket, livestock farmers won't be able to justify the price of feeding and will sell off... causing a temporary glut of beef and pork. You're gonna see beef and pork prices dropping dramatically before they turn and rise off the chart... lay in supplies if'n ya' can. Once those prices rise they'll stay high for some time because the size of the national herd will be dramatically reduced (it's already smaller than it's been in decades), causing a shortage... and with a reduced herd size (fewer mothers, fewer babies) it will take a long, long time to build it back up.

Products made from grain will rise well before the price of beef and pork; not just food stuffs, lots of things. This may very well be the defining moment for ethanol fuels in this country, the ethanol business model was designed around $3.oo corn... can it survive? How much will it cost in tax dollars to keep it alive? And the larger question, can we continue to justify burning our food supply during a time of shortage?

Hard times ahead for sure, and I would bet gas also goes between $4- $5 per gallon as wages and new jobs stay stagnant. We did not have a drought here and I am certainly planning on growing a big garden next year, along with raising some chickens for meat and eggs.

Last edited:
Heat doesn't do any good if we starve. I absolutely agree with white spider. Can we invent a wood gas freezer?

Hard times ahead for sure, and I would bet gas also goes between $4- $5 per gallon as wages and new jobs stay stagnant. We did not have a drought here and I am certainly planning on growing a big garden next year, along with raising some chickens for meat and eggs.

Keep an eye on the shipping costs for grain. The Drought lowered the level of the Mississippi enough that even half loads on barges are a problem, which leaves rail, and OTR trucking. Both burn fuel and will increase demand, and costs, as space on Rail cars and trucks is also a commodity.

It's gonna be a rough winter for a bunch of folks.

Drought-lowered Mississippi River hurts barge traffic, consumer prices - Chicago Sun-Times

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hard times ahead for sure, and I would bet gas also goes between $4- $5 per gallon...

Maybe... maybe not. The global price of crude oil, and therefore gasoline, isn't driven so much by supply & demand, but rather by speculation and projected future supply & demand (well, so is grain, or any other commodity, but not as dynamically as oil). That's why just the mere announcement of plans to reduce production by the Middle-East sends oil prices up overnight... well before anything has changed in the actual supply & demand. Watch the Presidential election, and especially the results; one candidate is unlikely to increase oil and gas production on U.S. lands (more likely to decrease production), whereas the other is highly likely to dramatically increase production. Even though it would probably take months, or even years to create the infrastructure and get the increased production rolling the election outcome will have a near immediate effect on the global price of oil, and gasoline prices shortly thereafter. There's a whole lot of reasons why we have high(er) gasoline prices today, but the hard, cold facts are... you can tag about 65-75% of it on the energy policies, and foreign policy of the current administration.

Latest posts

Back