Man, I Love October

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Left work early on Friday, spent the afternoon removing window screens and installing storm windows. Started a fire Friday night and kept it burning low, slow and lazy most all weekend. Saturday was a dreary, cloudy, breezy day that never broke 40[sup]o[/sup] so the heat was welcome… spent most of Saturday covering windows with plastic and cleaning up a few leaves. Storm windows and plastic are the two fall “chores” I hate, so once I start I like to get it over with.

But Sunday… man, a perfect fall day. It was 23[sup]o[/sup] when I stepped outside just before sun-up and got a whiff of wood smoke from the chimney. The sky was packed full of stars, indicating a clear blue-sky day was on tap… everything covered in heavy frost and “crunchy” under my boots. Piddled around putting some tools and stuff away from the day before… but mostly just stood in the open overhead shop doors, sippin’ coffee and watchin’ the sun come up. Just as it cleared the trees my 4-year-old son came bounding out the door with his “work” cloths on, ready to help daddy with whatever. A few years ago I’d have never believed, that at near 55, I’d have a 4-year-old helper… but life is-what-it-is.

Seemed like a good morning to start moving the winter firewood supply into the basement. As the boy and I were filling the trailer the sun was working hard on the frost, freeing up Sugar Maple leaves and making them heavy. We were working in a shower of big red and gold leaves… which soon caused the boy to lose interest in the wood so he could run around catching them. Managed maybe a couple cord moved in and neatly stacked before I became bored with it. Grabbed the leaf blower and started cleaning up those maple leaves… me blowing them into big piles, and the boy jumping in them. I was feeling a bit lazy after that, so I opened a Bud and lit the piles on fire, drank a six-pack watching them become reduced to small piles of ash... called it a day at 3:00, sat on the porch watching the Blue Jays steal corn from the corn shock.

Man I love October… so many chores to do, but none of them “mission critical”. I still have a lot of leaves to clean up, more firewood to move in, lawn furniture to put away, probably should cut the grass one more time, and I’ll be doin’ some cuttin’ of standing-dead… but there ain’t any hurry for any of it. Clear, blue-sky October days like yesterday are made to enjoy… and that’s exactly what I did.

One of my favorite times too. Jeep with the top down and the heater on, cool enough to work outside without being oppressive, leaves all changing color, bonfires and hayrides....

Left work early on Friday, spent the afternoon removing window screens and installing storm windows. Started a fire Friday night and kept it burning low, slow and lazy most all weekend. Saturday was a dreary, cloudy, breezy day that never broke 40[sup]o[/sup] so the heat was welcome… spent most of Saturday covering windows with plastic and cleaning up a few leaves. Storm windows and plastic are the two fall “chores” I hate, so once I start I like to get it over with.

But Sunday… man, a perfect fall day. It was 23[sup]o[/sup] when I stepped outside just before sun-up and got a whiff of wood smoke from the chimney. The sky was packed full of stars, indicating a clear blue-sky day was on tap… everything covered in heavy frost and “crunchy” under my boots. Piddled around putting some tools and stuff away from the day before… but mostly just stood in the open overhead shop doors, sippin’ coffee and watchin’ the sun come up. Just as it cleared the trees my 4-year-old son came bounding out the door with his “work” cloths on, ready to help daddy with whatever. A few years ago I’d have never believed, that at near 55, I’d have a 4-year-old helper… but life is-what-it-is.

Seemed like a good morning to start moving the winter firewood supply into the basement. As the boy and I were filling the trailer the sun was working hard on the frost, freeing up Sugar Maple leaves and making them heavy. We were working in a shower of big red and gold leaves… which soon caused the boy to lose interest in the wood so he could run around catching them. Managed maybe a couple cord moved in and neatly stacked before I became bored with it. Grabbed the leaf blower and started cleaning up those maple leaves… me blowing them into big piles, and the boy jumping in them. I was feeling a bit lazy after that, so I opened a Bud and lit the piles on fire, drank a six-pack watching them become reduced to small piles of ash... called it a day at 3:00, sat on the porch watching the Blue Jays steal corn from the corn shock.

Man I love October… so many chores to do, but none of them “mission critical”. I still have a lot of leaves to clean up, more firewood to move in, lawn furniture to put away, probably should cut the grass one more time, and I’ll be doin’ some cuttin’ of standing-dead… but there ain’t any hurry for any of it. Clear, blue-sky October days like yesterday are made to enjoy… and that’s exactly what I did.

Sounds like you had a great weekend.. Thanks for painting that image of your son bounding out the door too. WE are due to have a son by nov 28th. I am loving this time of year also.. makes for some great fire pit nights. actually worthy of lighting it up. Wife and i are enjoying every minute we can.

Very well said!

Fall is my favorite time if year, but it usually doesn't hit here until November 1st. We were just lucky enough to get a good dose of it this past weekend. Sure it's a little cool, but put on a work shirt and fit after it, and the best part is NO BUGS!

Had my two 6 year olds ( boy, girl twins) and my seven year old boy all working with me Sunday aft, collecting wood on the river front and ferrying it back to the vehicle. me cutting while they took the cuts back. Had to time the cuts so they were away, glad I did as had a minor near miss( see other thread). But man do I love having them help, production goes down but the fun level soars!

October is a good month to get stuff done before winter. Sounds like you had a good day!

Oct. is the perfect time after we get a frost to go out early in the morning to sit on the sunny side of a tree and shoot tree rats.

101117_2616.jpg

101119_2611.jpg

101119_2613.jpg

Used to bow hunt first then get the rats but I can't make it to the bigger woods to bow hunt. Isn't to bad just sitting out with the camera and shooting a few that way.

101109_BiggerBuck_2588.jpg

Best of all is to get the dog and head for thre vacant fields to see if any timber doodles are around. find a sunny hill side and sit down and share a cheese sandwich with the mutt as she lays across the legs.

Oct. is a real nice month, somuch better than stinking hot July.

:D Al

Still in the upper 50's here..but the cool weather is coming that is for sure here !
I can't wait to fire up the wood burner.

BrokenToys, Where are you on the East End of the sand spit? I spent 30 years in Southold and loved every minute of it! Worked for The Big "G".

Virtual rep for this story, since I can't actually give him rep.

Nice, October.

It was 87 today before it rained at 4pm. And the trees wont drop leaves until December. It might get to 23* ONCE in January - maybe.For a few hours.

Wish I was there.

Nice post

Here in the PNW it was 62 degrees when I got to the wood's and not a cloud in the sky and right now 68 degrees perfect for cutting firewood :msp_smile:

That's kick ass right there, don't care who you are. :rock:

Don't get me wrong, the whole story is great. :msp_thumbsup:

But, the mental of image of little man about tripping over himself because he doesn't want to miss a tick of what dad's doing, that's awesome.:msp_smile:

Virtual rep for this story, since I can't actually give him rep.

:rock: I got him for ya..

White spider i followed your lead today, had a fantastic lunch (turkey day here) with great friends and my wife and then came home grabbed one of my dogs (my ole girl lab) and we went for a slow walk up to the woods and back.. I took deer pepperoni to share with her.

I really do love your discription of your son coming out the house. I can't wait for those days.. :clap:

Back