So now that it's July.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some great pics. The little Weber in the hut is a nice touch. What was the temp that day?

Those are some great pics. The little Weber in the hut is a nice touch. What was the temp that day?

Those were a couple of different days but we have temps in the high 30's to low 50's during our late ice season.
Standing on 2-3 foot of ice seems sotra strange but once that ice gets to 18" or less the shore can get pretty soft.
The month of April is when we loose our ice...around easter.
The last 2 weeks of March and the first 2 weeks of April can be lights out action.

When it gets hot like it is now I dream of getting back on that ice.
You can always put more clothes on ,but you can take only so much off.

sorry...I reread your question.
That day was around 0.

My wood pile so far...

I usually don't start burning here (Lake Huron) till Late October. My first wood pile ever!! mostly Ash and Birch. With our new high efficiency oil/wood furnace we burn about 8-10 face cords.
IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

I usually don't start burning here (Lake Huron) till Late October. My first wood pile ever!! mostly Ash and Birch. With our new high efficiency oil/wood furnace we burn about 8-10 face cords.
IMG_2334.jpg

How do those old lawn chairs burn? I've got a few laying around here too.
:cheers:

Currently my wife is pregnant so I won't be able to fire the burner up until we are safely past A/C season. While running 160 degree + water thru the furnace plenum, the A/C doesn't seem to work all that great! We haven't used much propane this summer (if you call it summer, I shut the stove off in middle of June), but it still bothers me to have to pay for hot water when I live in the woods. I have free junk wood everywhere: poplar, pine, branches, etc. Stuff that works great in the warmer temps.

I thought that I was doing pretty good accumulating wood this year as I have about 7-8 full cords stacked and ready to go. I think that should be just about enough to make it til next year. Now that I read this thread it looks like I am behind the curve a little. I would like to be in the same position that many of you are in, working on next year's wood.

There's 2 main reasons to have wood put up "in advance" for the next few years.
1st....dry wood is better to burn for maximum BTU output and 2nd...Murphy's law ...ya never know when your gonna get sick or hurt and are unable to put up wood.

I buy my wood from 2 dependable sources. As you can tell I'm on the ice during my off time from work.
Guiding if you wanna call that work pays for a lot of wood and I still get to rear on fish.
Now that's it's warm we have have been catching these lil guys!
Picture075-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
There's 2 main reasons to have wood put up "in advance" for the next few years.
1st....dry wood is better to burn for maximum BTU output and 2nd...Murphy's law ...ya never know when your gonna get sick or hurt and are unable to put up wood.

Another reason is that you never know when you might run into a dry spell with scoring wood.

I've had a very good run this spring. Scored more wood than I need, and there is another logging job a buddy is doing where I will get a few more pickup loads, when the dang mud dries out a bit. But it could just as easily go the other way next year, and I'll be glad that I loaded up.

Nice fish Keith. I have about 10 full chord left here, but who knows come september. I have a bad habit of selling the wood any chance I get. I have sold 7 full chords in the last month. I should still be cutting every weekend but the lure of these keeps me from my chores.
attachment.php

wood pile
attachment.php

Still have a few chords cut up, just have to get around to splitting

I had a fire like two weekends ago. But I have a fire going somewhere every weekend. Burning brush up on the hill behind the house or in a woodstove I have propped in the retaining wall I am building in the backyard. Summer burning consist of burning rubble which is accumulated and needs to burned to keep it from stacking up.
I just got done slabbing up some red oak this week which will become the new secondary woodshed.
We like to sit outside and have dinner next to the outdoor woodburning stove. I mean if your gonna live your life you mine as well do it up. Right?

.........it's less than 3 months til we are burning again. I usually start the occasional fires in early October, sometimes in September if it's a cool/damp day. The frequency picks up as the weeks go by, but steady burning doesn't really start until November. When do you guys light up?

Supply wise, my woodshed is jammed, and it's the earliest I've ever done that. I've got better than two years of wood here at the house. So, which of you guys are all set, and who has some work to do yet?

My schedule is identical to yours. We do have some good sunny days when we can let it go out till sundown.

I had a fire like two weekends ago. But I have a fire going somewhere every weekend. Burning brush up on the hill behind the house or in a woodstove I have propped in the retaining wall I am building in the backyard. Summer burning consist of burning rubble which is accumulated and needs to burned to keep it from stacking up.
I just got done slabbing up some red oak this week which will become the new secondary woodshed.
We like to sit outside and have dinner next to the outdoor woodburning stove. I mean if your gonna live your life you mine as well do it up. Right?

An outdoor woodstove? I have to see that set up.

In fact, I went by your place yesterday. Had a customer up on Silver Hollow RD. with a dead tractor.

My summer burning consists of some tractor crates in the firepit out back of the house. My brother brings his kids up, but our main objective is to get a good hot bed of coals going and melt the beer cans.

I,ve got a little over 8 cords of oak and hickory split and stacked. I,m cutting cherry,gum and soft maple now it seasons faster,and is good shoulder season fuel.

No mosquitos here until now, and few at that. I have one friend with a OWB off to a pretty good start on their wood supply. For the other 2 people I cut for with indoor stoves, I probably won't start cutting for them until September-October since they usually don't go through as much wood, but I think I may be starting a month or two early this year for them.

Nice fish Keith. I have about 10 full chord left here, but who knows come september. I have a bad habit of selling the wood any chance I get. I have sold 7 full chords in the last month. I should still be cutting every weekend but the lure of these keeps me from my chores.
attachment.php

wood pile
attachment.php

Still have a few chords cut up, just have to get around to splitting

Good to see another guy on the water...makes for a nice break from the land lovers.
Nice wood pile too.

An outdoor woodstove? I have to see that set up.
Your on.

In fact, I went by your place yesterday. Had a customer up on Silver Hollow RD. with a dead tractor.
Hopefully our next house will be up there. :)

My summer burning consists of some tractor crates in the firepit out back of the house. My brother brings his kids up, but our main objective is to get a good hot bed of coals going and melt the beer cans.

Same here I am burning pallets which my neighbor gets pellets for his stove on. Should be a source of scrap for me.

Usually early Nov. - hardly ever need an indoor fire before Halloween.

xtm

.........it's less than 3 months til we are burning again. I usually start the occasional fires in early October, sometimes in September if it's a cool/damp day. The frequency picks up as the weeks go by, but steady burning doesn't really start until November. When do you guys light up?

Supply wise, my woodshed is jammed, and it's the earliest I've ever done that. I've got better than two years of wood here at the house. So, which of you guys are all set, and who has some work to do yet?

I have this winters and next winters cut split and stacked :clap: this september I will start on winter of 13/14 :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back