So now that it's July.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
.........it's less than 3 months til we are burning again. I usually start the occasional fires in early October, sometimes in September if it's a cool/damp day. The frequency picks up as the weeks go by, but steady burning doesn't really start until November. When do you guys light up?

Supply wise, my woodshed is jammed, and it's the earliest I've ever done that. I've got better than two years of wood here at the house. So, which of you guys are all set, and who has some work to do yet?

We usually start burning in early October. I could wait longer, but the wife does not like to be cold. Supply wise, I also have a 2+ year supply on hand.

I just got done splitting roughly 11 cords of locust to sell. The wood for the house is 1+ year ahead. I still have 8 or so cord of sugar maple, birch and cherry to split.:cheers:

Probably sometime in September. I have about 15 cords split and stacked and another ten cord to split. A local tree service called last night and asked me to go to two job sites to pick up Honey locust and the second place to pick up some walnut. I just don't know how good walnut burns.

Bryan

Probably sometime in September. I have about 15 cords split and stacked and another ten cord to split. A local tree service called last night and asked me to go to two job sites to pick up Honey locust and the second place to pick up some walnut. I just don't know how good walnut burns.

Bryan

Walnut sux... I group it with poplar and sassafras. Good early and late season stuff I suppose.

i got about 14 or so cord split and stacked. i got more than i need to go this year i think. the rest of it i split all this year so its green. some of it i could burn if need be. bring on winter!!

i still got maybe 5 or so more cord to split and stack though.

i try to hold off burning till october. mother nature really determines when i start in the end.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...Sept is just another hot summer month for us. :)

We haven't shut down since January 08. A couple of armloads of small branches each day heats our homes hot water through the spring summer and fall. The only downfall is the occasional poorly time fire that can smoke some laundry on the line or disrupt the kids pool party. We're pretty happy in Minnesota with year round operation.

I'll start in Sept...getting frost on the ground by then.
Once we hit Nov....we get a bit colder...making ice!
08iceseason747.jpg

08iceseason179.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures Keith!!!!

Nothing better than good hot food sitting out on the ice!!!!! That is my favorite part of ice fishing!

Set for 2009-10. About 4 seasoned and dry cords under the barn roof ready to go. About 4 more cords stacked and seasoning in the rain in the dooryard. :)

After the summers heat, I'll lean into a few hundred acres I've gotten permission to cut on, getting our 2010-11 supply cut and doing a few more cords for some pin money.

We had our last fire of the season about 10 days ago. Latest yet. Fall's first fire will happen sometime in Sept. after I give the chimney a good up and down with the wirebrush.

I burn when ever the house drops below 65 that usually means Sept but could happen on any Month. I have my 2009/2010 supply in. As the nights have been cool here I am making trips to get a good start on the 2011 wood, First time I have ever cut during the Summer as I hate Bug's! but I do get to see the odd Bear on my drive to the woods and catch a few trout.
I only have room for a two year supply of fire wood. Also will it be 30 degrees or - 30 in January.Yes A Canadian using Fahrenheit I am just familiar with both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Nice pic's! I am not much of a ice fisher as I like the run and gun of summer fishing as I always have to be on the move. But I do fish for Ling (burbot) through the ice I just love to feel a 15 lb ling on the end of the line. Then I carefully let the beast go.

Nice pic's! I am not much of a ice fisher as I like the run and gun of summer fishing as I always have to be on the move. But I do fish for Ling (burbot) through the ice I just love to feel a 15 lb ling on the end of the line. Then I carefully let the beast go.

We call them eelpout up here in the north country!
They sure do taste good...although pretty slimy....you ever had one wrap around your arm?

Back