So, to heat your home, would you rather cut firewood or do this...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leg hurting bad
As he bends to pick a dog-end
he goes down to the bog and warms his feet

(From Aqua Lung, by Jethro Tull.)

A dog end is a cigarrete butt. He goes down to the bog (peat bog) to warm his feet. People have been using peat moss to heat forever.

if each of those pieces is equal to a piece of firewood, then it look like it goes faster.

I grew up in North West Donegal, spent the first 18 years of me life there and know first hand what Peat smells like, what it weighs both wet and dry, different qualities of peat in different regions and how much of a heartbreaker it can be when you dont have the weather to dry it...
I was just there in Late November and warmed me arse to a few peat fires in the local pub.... Logues Bar, Carrigart | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is not much like a peat fire, good whisky and good company on a winters evening...
I will post up some pics in a bit of our cutting area and some of 2012's harvest that my family are currently burning...

I prefer firewood :)

I'm no expert but I would wager that burning peat started out of necessity. Looking at pictures of the area, there isn't much for quality firewood. Looks to be rather scrubby. If there's nothing else to keep you warm, I guess that's what you go for. Beats burning snow balls...

I would much rather heat withwood but not just for the heat the wood provides. I love felling tees, even hundred plus footers, some of which are difficult due to their lean angle compared to where you need them to fall. I love running the chainsaw be it limbing or bucking, and the desert is noodling. But I also love splitting the rounds with an axe. There's just something satisfying about a large hiunk of wood flying apart when the axe impacts the wood. Plus it's great cardio exercise and a good frustration reliever, followed by that well earned beer at the end of the day while looking over the days acomplishment. What's not to love?

So combine all of the above, and that's why I would rather heat with wood.

Leg hurting bad
As he bends to pick a dog-end
he goes down to the bog and warms his feet

(From Aqua Lung, by Jethro Tull.)

A dog end is a cigarrete butt. He goes down to the bog (peat bog) to warm his feet. People have been using peat moss to heat forever.

And one of the tastiest guitar solos in history!

Latest posts

Back