So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve ported saws for 7-8 years now, hoping to have enough to do it full time this year. So I dig into about 150 saws per year. Here’s what I’ve learned. Folks who run Ultra at 50:1 have “relatively “ clean pistons and cylinders. But on the newer strato saws there is no excess oil anywhere. The bottom end bearings are dry. Even the crank journals are dry to the touch. This would indicate the need for more oil. If you run it at 32:1, the bottom end is still marginally lubricated, but carbon buildup is everywhere. This buildup shows evidence of flaking off also. I’ve seen this flaking cause smearing on the piston when a chunk gets caught at the top of the exhaust port. It builds carbon because it’s an fb rated oil. FC and FD rated oils have detergent in them and some will actually run cleaner with more oil in the mix. The difference in both the amount of carbon formed and residual oil left behind between Stihl Ultra and Red Armor is staggering.
Yeah Ultra performs well in the intended 4-mix , trimmers or blowers , however has limitations within tuning in conventional saws . It can be tuned to perform however not a clean burning oil at those ratios in homeowner or even ported saw applications .

Honestly run whatever you like. It was torture tested at 300:1. Along with a crap ton of other oils. The orange bottle stihl did far better than the silver. I listed the worst performances. Those are 3 I’d not use.

I’m not the only one on this thread that saw it. Some builders of ported saws including some at this website switched to the amsoil dominater.

because of egg shooters test….
I’ll switch myself when I run out of oil again.

dead serious just trying to help.
Which stens oil? because the pillow pack is packaged by opti but the other stens oil i don't know anything about.

Yeah Ultra performs well in the intended 4-mix , trimmers or blowers , however has limitations within tuning in conventional saws . It can be tuned to perform however not a clean burning oil at those ratios in homeowner or even ported saw applications .
Is ultra a ash less oil? i know it leaves a nasty deposits inside a engine and has a horrendous odor.

Detergents are the main difference between b and d. I believe they did have it tested and it met fb.
low smoke / odour & detergent / dispersent additives is the difference within (FB & FC) & the Superior Jaso FD ratings . The FD rated products allow much heavier oil to fuel ratios , since it will abate the potential. excessive carbon or smoking & odor issues . Actually if you ever noticed Sabre has a quite high viscosity , which is most likely why it allows leaner oil ratio's due also to high level of detergent / dispersent additive package .

Wasn't real fond of how Schaeffer's performed but those oils you listed perform fine.
Schaeffer may well be in the same oil class as Amsoil Dominator within your application bud . If you don't run it as recommended you will have " dirty oil issues " . If used as recommended by Amsoil it performs very well indeed ! I think I will check out the Schaeffers product line further for specific gravity / density & flash point characteristics .

Interceptor is a much better overall product within saw usage or Saber . Dominator is a MX or Extreme Snowmobile performance oil . Excellent stuff , but you better have your tuning spot on or deposits will become an issue since it may not completely burn off in the fuel charge . P.S. I have used Dominator successfully in my ported 357 xp & ported ms660 Milling saw both which reach sufficient cylinder head temps @ 44:1 & 40:1 respectively to burn clean without any residue or very little carbon issues !
I got a bottle of interceptor but the lack of color bothers me.

Schaeffer may well be in the same oil class as Amsoil Dominator within your application bud . If you don't run it as recommended you will have " dirty oil issues " . If used as recommended by Amsoil it performs very well indeed ! I think I will check out the Schaeffers product line further for specific gravity / density & flash point characteristics .
i ran it in my lawn boy it is a TCW3 oil

Has anyone compared Stihl Ultra to Amsoil Saber in a Stihl MS500i? The fuel injection system should keep the optimum air/fuel ratio regardless of oil mix ratio, but Stihl has made it clear to me that their warranty does not extend to oil rations greater than 50:1.

according to walmart website super tech full syn is rated API TC.
Yeah a FB / FC compliant Jaso type oil . However think it is a semi synthetic TCW marine grade oil , not a good saw oil choice !
I got a bottle of interceptor but the lack of color bothers me.
I never worry about colour , I mix with a measuring cup & my containers are application specific labelled . When mixed at 50 : 1 it provides a distinct colour difference then straight gas , so I am know lol.

i ran it in my lawn boy it is a TCW3 oil
Yeah well that will give you minimum quality protection with maximum fouling issue potential , like what Ultra users sometimes experience . Schaeffers also produces quality semi & full synthetics , which have been proven to be a premium world class snowmobile race oil . I have to check out my. Race oil guide that goes back to my Klotz Benol & R-50 caster oil race days lol.

No surprise that the Caster based oils with their anti galling properties performed well . No Saber , Dominator or Interceptor tested ??
The castor based oils tested more in the middle of the pack due to the ring lands clogging up causing lack of compression.
Dominator, Red Armor, and Honda HP2 we’re in the top 5. Saber was about #10. Interceptor wasn’t tested

Yeah well that will give you minimum quality protection with maximum fouling issue potential , like what Ultra users sometimes experience . Schaeffers also produces quality semi & full synthetics , which have been proven to be a premium world class snowmobile race oil . I have to check out my. Race oil guide that goes back to my Klotz Benol & R-50 caster oil race days lol.
I am sure they do but i don't recommend there oils for a lawn boy even though lawn boy engines spec a ashless oil of tcw3 quality.

I don’t really know for certain, other than it was designed for them.
Yeah run it in my 4-mix for 5 yrs . at 50:1 . Still required decarboning at valve lash adjustment intervals . I switched to Amsoil Sabre same ratio awesome results . I might try some Dominator & Interceptor , since its a power broom application , which is in winter hibernation lol

The castor based oils tested more in the middle of the pack due to the ring lands clogging up causing lack of compression.
Dominator, Red Armor, and Honda HP2 we’re in the top 5. Saber was about #10. Interceptor wasn’t tested
Figures , we always decarbonize every teardown between racing weekends on the aircooled bikes & more on the liquid cooled snowmobiles due to their inherent cooler internal temps . Usually ran a one temp higher spark plug range , however never had a engine oil related failure .Dirty oil but bullet proof for anti galling racing protection . Thanks bud !

Back