So what's the current Two stroke oil favorite for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what 958 hrs of run time looks like on a Efco DS 2400 that has ran on super tech air cooled mixed at 32:1 for almost three years i use 87 E0 compression is still close to 150 lbs
View attachment 954966
Looks good . I had a Efco 156 saw 10 yrs back , sold it along with my Husky 460 homeowner saw to a neighbour . Still both running fine !

Is ultra a ash less oil? i know it leaves a nasty deposits inside a engine and has a horrendous odor.
Yeah fully Ashless , for Stihl's 4-mix units ! As I said , I went Saber for the last 4 yrs since it was given to me , however will do the trial with Dominator & then Interceptor next spring and report back !

Yeah fully Ashless , for Stihl's 4-mix units ! As I said , I went Saber for the last 4 yrs since it was given to me , however will do the trial with Dominator & then Interceptor next spring and report back !
I imagine low ash oils with cause heavy deposits around the valves and seats.

I imagine low ash oils with cause heavy deposits around the valves and seats.
Exactly , that why mix ratio is & carb tuning to that oil ratio is very important . A lot of the new synthetics are designed for 50:1 accordingly . P.S. I ran it @ 70:1 on (Saber) for 3 tanks just to reduce the oily residue after the decarbonizing lol.

View attachment 954869Here’s my source. Again this was a torture test. But lots of us were shocked. No one should run 200:1.
Correct me if I am wrong but those tests where ran exactly once?.
An example of one has no statistical validity.
In addition we don't run saws at such ridiculous ratios so what does it prove?

I’ve ported saws for 7-8 years now, hoping to have enough to do it full time this year. So I dig into about 150 saws per year. Here’s what I’ve learned. Folks who run Ultra at 50:1 have “relatively “ clean pistons and cylinders. But on the newer strato saws there is no excess oil anywhere. The bottom end bearings are dry. Even the crank journals are dry to the touch. This would indicate the need for more oil. If you run it at 32:1, the bottom end is still marginally lubricated, but carbon buildup is everywhere. This buildup shows evidence of flaking off also. I’ve seen this flaking cause smearing on the piston when a chunk gets caught at the top of the exhaust port. It builds carbon because it’s an fb rated oil. FC and FD rated oils have detergent in them and some will actually run cleaner with more oil in the mix. The difference in both the amount of carbon formed and residual oil left behind between Stihl Ultra and Red Armor is staggering.
Something to consider. Ultra is a ashless oil. Ashless doesn't refer to deposits it refers to the sulfated ash test, which is a measure of how much mettalic anti wear and detergent additives are present. All FD rated oils have some ash. You in fact need the mettalic additives associated with the test for air cooled variable throttle engines. Ashless technology doesn't function at all above 300 degree ring belt temps, which is why you see lots of deposits in engines ran on it that see temps above that number.

My thoughts exactly. It's not very telling, especially not knowing the variables. What saws were used? Was it a true non bias test? How exact were the ratios? New or used engines? If used, how many hours on each engine? Was ALL the previous mix completely drained and ran out?
Lots of questions for sure. Like you, I began using Stihl oil when I bought my new 460 many years ago. I figured based on the warranty it couldn't be a bad oil, the saw is now pushing 15 years on Stihl oil with no teardown. I've got a few newer saws with more hours, same results. But I am just a homeowner and only cut 12-15 cords a year plus clean up and the occasional favor for a friend or family member.
Forget all that. It's not useful because it has zero statistical validity.
And FWIW I questioned the guy on what methodology he used and he totally went nuts. I know understand that he has left that site and took his "data" with him. A real weirdo.

It doesn’t prove anything. I’d agree. But the length of time some of those units ran proves 200:1 with decent oil runs longer than straight gas would. In my opinion it shows some oil are better than others.

I read all the tests for fun. I’m not saying these are the gospel.

And last but not least. If you think E30 boosts your performance you are nuts. Unless lower HP, compromised lubrication and and increased fuel use is a boost in performance to you.

Here are 3 of my saws recently operated on a tree job.
PXL_20220110_024042441.jpg

Does this look like "Compromised Lubrication" to anyone else?
Saw #1 MS 361 Bone Stock, ZERO modifications, about 5hrs (10-12 tanks)
PXL_20220110_031928807.jpg

Saw #2 MS 361 Modified, Ported, 460 carb, Muff Mod. About 50hrs. (tanks ?)
PXL_20220110_033538624.jpg

Saw #3 MS 660 Modified, Ported, 4yrs old about 250 hrs
PXL_20220110_035316516.jpg

So tell me again, how does E30 compromise lubrication?
Just another example of how bwalker is lying out his ASS!! Like a habitual liar, he just can't help himself.

It doesn’t prove anything. I’d agree. But the length of time some of those units ran proves 200:1 with decent oil runs longer than straight gas would. In my opinion it shows some oil are better than others.

I read all the tests for fun. I’m not saying these are the gospel.
Not really.
It only proves that some oils run longer at 200:1. You can't extrapolate those results to normal ratios.
Protection against seizure is not a real issue with modern oils. Cleanliness of the ring grooves is much more important. Once ring mobility is lost wear increases, blow by increases and sooner rather than latter compression is lost or seizure occurs.

Latest posts

Back