So who else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
was cutting and splitting wood today?

Here in MI it was perfect firewood weather, cool enough to keep the bugs away and to not sweat and a bit overcast. Me and a friend blocked up about 4 cords of 14-20" logs last night and this morning split three cords for another guy with his 24 ton Splitfire. Later today we delivered a cord of seasoned sugar maple to my elderly grandmother who burns it in an old Holland coal furnace. The rest of the day we sharpened and tweaked with saws and took a trip to a local big box store to look at stuff we want and cant afford.

But now its time to throw another log in the stove, crack a cold beer and watch some SportsCenter.

was cutting and splitting wood today?

Here in MI it was perfect firewood weather.

:laugh: Nice spring day here today ... bit windy thou ... gusting up to 130km (thats hurricane force). I was chopping wood behind this huge shelter belt ... and brought home three different types of wood.

:rockn:

Youngest son and I took down several dead Elms, bucked it and split it. Ended up with all we could haul on the F-250 in two loads. Perfect day here also and first time out with a new saw too, Shindiawa 446.

Cleared

I got prolly 30 - 40 face cord of downed wood dropped by the Electric company to cut/split. I've been outside doing that since yesterday when I got my new PS-510. I just couldn't put that dam'd little saw down. I love cutting with that little guy. Prolly around 4 face cord so far. This is the best time of year for sure to be outside enjoying the weather and cuttin' a little wood. Ugh, I shore do hate it when I run into one of those big a55 wood spiders, lmfao... :laugh: :cheers:

I got prolly 30 - 40 face cord of downed wood dropped by the Electric company to cut/split. I've been outside doing that since yesterday when I got my new PS-510. I just couldn't put that dam'd little saw down. I love cutting with that little guy. Prolly around 4 face cord so far. This is the best time of year for sure to be outside enjoying the weather and cuttin' a little wood. Ugh, I shore do hate it when I run into one of those big a55 wood spiders, lmfao... :laugh: :cheers:

Thats the biggest reason I procrastinate cutting wood until cold weather. I hate bugs!!! I also got my first reaction to poison ivy after years of exposure. I just HAD to take the 441 into the timber in 90 degree weather!:laugh: All cow crap aside, Im ready to cut some serious wood!!!:rock:

My pile of wood grew today...three large pick-up loads and 5 loads w/ my 4*8 trailer behind my quad.
Spent a fantastic day w/ dad cutting and hauling. He's 73 and hung in there for 6 hours w/ me.

It's pretty much rained off and on all weekend.

Unloaded some walnut sawn and split last weekend but that was about it. Too wet to get into the timber. We are in a flash flood watch tonight everything is saturated.

Don

I went to a buddy's place to cut some tops up that the loggers left, but when I got there, seems that they aren't leaving much for tops.. mostly forearm sized limbs that aren't worth pulling out of a dozer pile. Too much work for too little wood. Going out tomorrow to get the last of a pile I've been working on this summer. Sad to see it end, was a big pile of 12"+ oak and Hickory a few months ago, now just several brush piles.

Ian

It's pretty much rained off and on all weekend.

Unloaded some walnut sawn and split last weekend but that was about it. Too wet to get into the timber. We are in a flash flood watch tonight everything is saturated.

Don

Same story here in Kansas, but I went out anyway, got in the poison ivy again, and bucked up some burr oak that was laying on the ground by the river. Then the rain came back...

I was planning on getting to it yesterday (Sunday), but an unexpected rain came in, so I should get to it this week. You're right though, it was great weather to be doing it.

Got out yesterday

It was a great day yesterday, finally had some time to get back to the pile a maple that I need to get split. I got about 1.5 cord spilt and stacked yesterday. I think this coming weekend I am going to try and get the rest bucked and split, that is if the weather is good.

About to head out with a couple guys from work, a tree guy we know dumped off some logs that need to disappear. Got the Johnny and the Husky ready for action!

I am ready for firewood season to begin.

Cutting wood is relaxing to me.. and burning it is even more relaxing. I have been pulling tops out of the woods to get them into easier places to work up. Bean fields and such.
I have about 15 nice tops for the GTG so everyone should have plenty to play on.

Did a little bowhunting, thought about cutting wood, but had too much to do. Plan to cut a trailer load tomorrow, if I can get the service calls done in time. Have some access to some green oak. Plan to work on that this week, for next years supply.

PA sounds like you have it all under control...mixing the cutting in with hunting and work!
Do you cut where you hunt? I keep catching myself analyzing the trees and figuring which one I should cut down and haul out for next years wood supply, but my cutting is done until winter when muzzle loader season ends.

spent two days in our woods last week, splitting all the small stacks of rounds from earlier blowdowns, cutting up some new ones, those two days were around 50* so it worked out well, about one cords worth, but still another cord of stacked rounds to split after this rain stops.

It'll take me all autumn before the snow flies to make a dent in the downed trees here, mainly elms/ash, nothing big, just takes awhile on the couple hrs here, couple hours there method.

9cords split, stacked, under cover from last August '06, so we should be set for this year and with the 2cords in the woods, we should be good for '08/'09 season as well.

PA sounds like you have it all under control...mixing the cutting in with hunting and work!
Do you cut where you hunt? I keep catching myself analyzing the trees and figuring which one I should cut down and haul out for next years wood supply, but my cutting is done until winter when muzzle loader season ends.

No. If there is a blow down I try to get it cleaned up. But not during bow/gun/muzzleloader season. I try to quit tinkering with my hunting areas a couple of months before season.

It is nice having some flexibility with scheduling. Ran a couple of service calls today and cut over 1/2 a cord of green White Oak. Pics are on Brik's thread.

No more hunting for me until Friday at the earliest. Wood to cut and service calls to run.

Back