So Who Makes Stihl Pistons/Cylinders Now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsoncustom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So the question is who makes the pistons (and I assume cylinders) for Stihl? Most people would say Mahle and apparently they would be wrong. I emailed Mahle yesterday about which country the produced stihl Pistons in and here is the response I got.

Dear Mr. Thompson,

We do not make pistons for the Stihl company ( haven't for many years), you should contact the company directly with your question.

[email protected]

Thank you

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,
Susanne Ortlieb - Kokkinidis
Info
MAHLE International GmbH

Pragstr. 26 - 46, 70376 Stuttgart, Germany
Phone: +49 711 501-0
[email protected], https://www.mahle.com

So Since Mahle hasn't been making Stihl parts for a long time......Who is?

I'm not sure where they are made at this point or by who. I have sent a email to Stihl so hopefully they will shed some light on where they are made and by who. My guess is they probably have a plant of their own now that makes the piston/cylinders.

I'm not sure where they are made at this point or by who. I have sent a email to Stihl so hopefully they will shed some light on where they are made and by who. My guess is they probably have a plant of their own now that makes the piston/cylinders.

Not sure if the Brazilian plant is owned by them or only overseen and quality controlled by them- but the cylinders have been used for many years from there- I believe (but could well be wrong) the 036 was the first to use them.
Mind you, I did also read once there are also cylinders made (no idea of models and sizes) in the States for Stihl, in VA somewhere?

This is what I have got from stihl so far, which they seemed to side step the question of where they are made.

Dear Mr Thompson,

Thank you for contacting us at STIHL Customer Service.

Regarding your inquiry, STIHL tools and their components are produced in an international manufacturing network in 7 countries and on three continents: in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the USA, Brazil, China and the Philippines. Each location has its own special competencies and areas of focus. No matter where a STIHL product is manufactured: all locations meet the high STIHL quality standards.

If you should happen to have any additional inquiries, please do not hesitate to reach out to the STIHL Customer Support, as we always remain at your disposal.

Kind regards,

STIHL Inc.
536 Viking Drive
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23452
USA

1-800-467-8445
www.stihlusa.com

So I replied and asked exactly which country or countries the cylinders and pistons are made in and they just keep side stepping the question either because this guy doesn't know or they are made in china like everything else these days.
Dear Mr. Thompson,

Thank you for contacting STIHL INC. To best answer your questions is that our cylinders and pistons are manufactured with in STIHL at one or more of our world wide manufacturing facilities

Best Regards,
Chad J
Technical Service Representative
---------------------------------------------------------
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Telephone: (800) 467-8445
Internet: www.stihlusa.com

So I replied and asked exactly which country or countries the cylinders and pistons are made in and they just keep side stepping the question either because this guy doesn't know or they are made in china like everything else these days.
Dear Mr. Thompson,

Thank you for contacting STIHL INC. To best answer your questions is that our cylinders and pistons are manufactured with in STIHL at one or more of our world wide manufacturing facilities

Best Regards,
Chad J
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive

Does it really matter? I don't particularly care if they are made in an ice cave on Antarctica- as long as they pass Stihl's quality control and a deemed suitable by them- that is good enough for me.

Does it really matter? I don't particularly care if they are made in an ice cave on Antarctica- as long as they pass Stihl's quality control and a deemed suitable by them- that is good enough for me.
not at all to me just funny how they don't want to say.

I own 2 holzfforma now so I obviously don't have a problem with china saws.

Dear Mr. Thompson,

Best Regards,
Chad J
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive

They may answer directly if the model of saw was asked about, a general question like, where are your pistons made would mean to them for all saws. I have seen the cylinders and pistons made in house for certain models while other models had the KS or Mahle markings so they may sub out for some saws and make in house for others.

They may answer directly if the model of saw was asked about, a general question like, where are your pistons made would mean to them for all saws. I have seen the cylinders and pistons made in house for certain models while other models had the KS or Mahle markings so they may sub out for some saws and make in house for others.
I'd agree with that. If you asked directly where the MS271 parts are made you might not like the answers. MS251 probably even less. CC is all that really matters and the ladle dip before they cast them. Once that is done they are likely shipped off the another facility for machining.

Edited to 271

I'd agree with that. If you asked directly where the MS270 parts are made you might not like the answers. MS251 probably even less. CC is all that really matters and the ladle dip before they cast them. Once that is done they are likely shipped off the another facility for machining.
I have become tired of stating that quality control or meeting Stihl specs is what is important to me, not what country is the actual part made in, China can and does produce very fine quality parts when produced under quality controlled conditions. The parts made there for the AM business may not have that QC or made to spec quality. If Stihl has plants there manufacturing parts then they are made to Stihl`s specifications , not some backyard outfit casting parts from scrap metal under uncontrolled conditions.

I have become tired of stating that quality control or meeting Stihl specs is what is important to me, not what country is the actual part is made in, China can and does produce very fine quality parts when produced under quality controlled conditions. The parts made there for the AM business may not have that QC or made to spec quality. If Stihl has plants there manufacturing parts then they are made to Stihl`s specifications , not some backyard outfit casting parts from scrap metal under uncontrolled conditions.
Makes sense to me yes.

Back