So Who Makes Stihl Pistons/Cylinders Now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have become tired of stating that quality control or meeting Stihl specs is what is important to me, not what country is the actual part is made in, China can and does produce very fine quality parts when produced under quality controlled conditions. The parts made there for the AM business may not have that QC or made to spec quality. If Stihl has plants there manufacturing parts then they are made to Stihl`s specifications , not some backyard outfit casting parts from scrap metal under uncontrolled conditions.
Many people don't understand quality control can be introduced and kept in check anywhere even the middle of a jungle, dessert, rainforest or some other unknown far reaching place. Taiwan was well know for harware manufacturing like top quality bolts and fasteners. It wasn't the steel they used or the process. It was the material they had chosen to blend and the stringent process they stuck to during manufacturing and surface treatments.

It may be difficult for them to say what part is made where as that can change- x company makes it for them this year and then they could change manufacture to another company or make it in house during a model’s production span. Stihl has slowly making more and more of its own parts or purchasing companies that use to make them for them.
I think they are in process of buying a company that makes some of their mufflers in the Chicago area- thus it will be made by Stihl now.
plus it’s not really the country that it is made from determines quality. Briggs, Homelite and others have made some real lemons along with some units made in Germany by German companies

Many people don't understand quality control can be introduced and kept in check anywhere even the middle of a jungle, dessert, rainforest or some other unknown far reaching place. Taiwan was well know for harware manufacturing like top quality bolts and fasteners. It wasn't the steel they used or the process. It was the material they had chosen to blend and the stringent process they stuck to during manufacturing and surface treatments.
The problem is as it pertains to materials China has real poor quality aluminum and steel. There steel for instance is still made from raw ore or sinter instead of pellets. It's really garbage.
As for AM cylinders if you are looking for a Husky cylinder it makes about no sense to buy aftermarket as the OEM parts are cheap. For Stihls I would still go with factory parts as the aftermarket ones are all over the place in quality, and port quality. It's not worth my time to be a tight wad to save a few hundred bucks.
However, I never underestimate the affinity the American public has for a large amount of junk instead of a few quality pieces.

The problem is as it pertains to materials China has real poor quality aluminum and steel. There steel for instance is still made from raw ore or sinter instead of pellets. It's really garbage.
As for AM cylinders if you are looking for a Husky cylinder it makes about no sense to buy aftermarket as the OEM parts are cheap. For Stihls I would still go with factory parts as the aftermarket ones are all over the place in quality, and port quality. It's not worth my time to be a tight wad to save a few hundred bucks.
However, I never underestimate the affinity the American public has for a large amount of junk instead of a few quality pieces.
Well if Stihl is using China or Taiwan to make Cylinders or Pistons I would hope they are controlling the metals , specs and quality control.

Well if Stihl is using China or Taiwan to make Cylinders or Pistons I would hope they are controlling the metals and specs and quality control.

Well if Stihl is using China or Taiwan to make Cylinders or Pistons I would hope they are controlling the metals and specs and quality control.
There are reasons they don't make their pro stuff in China.

Ms170s and ms250s from China have no issues with piston and cylinders that I know of, but USA made ms271 and ms291 cylinders have their transfer port covers come off???

Ms170s and ms250s from China have no issues with piston and cylinders that I know of, but USA made ms271 and ms291 cylinders have their transfer port covers come off???
Custom made for your using pleasure right here. The theory is you don't overheat them or your replacing them.
You do have some decent glue handy just in case, yes?
I wonder if they sell pistons for those or just complete top end kits?

I'm not sure where they are made at this point or by who. I have sent a email to Stihl so hopefully they will shed some light on where they are made and by who. My guess is they probably have a plant of their own now that makes the piston/cylinders.
Stihl's OEM replacement parts, including the jug, are mfgerd. in Germany, and sub-assembled in the US.
STIHL Inc., the parent/Gmbh companies' US assembly plant, receives sub-assemblies and completes any construction req'd.
STIHL Inc., is a Delaware-owned company, with the Main Factory located in Virginia Beach, VA.

Simply look closely at the label on any box/saw at an ACE, Lumber Jack, etc. Not sure why there is a thread attempting, and failing to support Chinesium. Maybe his name is Wing.

So I replied and asked exactly which country or countries the cylinders and pistons are made in and they just keep side stepping the question either because this guy doesn't know or they are made in china like everything else these days.
Dear Mr. Thompson,

Thank you for contacting STIHL INC. To best answer your questions is that our cylinders and pistons are manufactured with in STIHL at one or more of our world wide manufacturing facilities

Best Regards,
Chad J
Technical Service Representative
---------------------------------------------------------
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Telephone: (800) 467-8445
Internet: www.stihlusa.com

Stihl and its parts are made in Germany, and our offerings in the US come thru STIHL Inc, out of VABeach. Does anyone know why this question became a thread? Is this a gag?

Stihl and its parts are made in Germany, and our offerings in the US come thru STIHL Inc, out of VABeach. Does anyone know why this question became a thread? Is this a gag?
No not a gag, it was a off shoot from a different thread and we got on the subject of do we really know where stihl pistons are made.

Not all parts are made in Germany according to stihl they list these country's: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the USA, Brazil, China and the Philippines. So anywhere from top grade place to a 3rd world country.

I emailed them back and asked about there pro models the 261 and 500i as we know some of the homeowner grades ones are made in china but I would think in the pro models more parts would be made in the USA or German maybe?

China, they make crap🙄
Heard that so many times yet we are ALL reading and writing here on devices made wholey or partly in China.
Same as any country they make good as well as bad, it all depends on the product. So I'm sorry to say, unless your sat on a log in the middle of a wood typing to reply here then your probably doing it through something from china, dont matter what the brand name.
You may well think BS, im off to ring my nearest dealer and buy a saw made (let's say germany) so you pick up your Chinese made phone or jump into your usa made truck that has Chinese electronics that you cant see because its behind the dash (out of sight out of mind) no one cares because they work when you turn the keys, so your dealer has when you want.....at last! So you pay with your American dollar and it goes into a Chinese made till.
I wouldn't worry, if your happy with a saw whatever the make just cut wood, be happy and stay safe.

China, they make crap🙄
Heard that so many times yet we are ALL reading and writing here on devices made wholey or partly in China.
Same as any country they make good as well as bad, it all depends on the product. So I'm sorry to say, unless your sat on a log in the middle of a wood typing to reply here then your probably doing it through something from china, dont matter what the brand name.
You may well think BS, im off to ring my nearest dealer and buy a saw made (let's say germany) so you pick up your Chinese made phone or jump into your usa made truck that has Chinese electronics that you cant see because its behind the dash (out of sight out of mind) no one cares because they work when you turn the keys, so your dealer has when you want.....at last! So you pay with your American dollar and it goes into a Chinese made till.
I wouldn't worry, if your happy with a saw whatever the make just cut wood, be happy and stay safe.
i avoid chinese crap like the plague. In some cases you dont have a choice, but in the case of saws you do.

Does it really matter? I don't particularly care if they are made in an ice cave on Antarctica- as long as they pass Stihl's quality control and a deemed suitable by them- that is good enough for me.
It’s those sentiments that have gotten there saws from the best in the word to not worth a shite and I will personally never buy there saws again I had a crank sheer in two at 3 months and 1 day I called there Midwest maintenance people and they said if it’s one day past the warranty we won’t fix it lol I was a lifetime user and would never buy another brand now look at me running echo and husky.

There are reasons they don't make their pro stuff in China.

It’s those sentiments that have gotten there saws from the best in the word to not worth a shite and I will personally never buy there saws again I had a crank sheer in two at 3 months and 1 day I called there Midwest maintenance people and they said if it’s one day past the warranty we won’t fix it lol I was a lifetime user and would never buy another brand now look at me running echo and husky.
What saw failed ? One day out of warranty is sure a ****** way to treat customers. Azzholes!

I had a crank sheer in two at 3 months and 1 day I called there Midwest maintenance people and they said if it’s one day past the warranty we won’t fix it

now look at me running echo and husky.

Two things come to mind. One, I'd of pushed it up the ladder and contacted corporate. Parts fail, stuff happens, regardless of brand. And some dealers just do bad buisiness, period. I'd of not stopped at a dealerships answer in that instance.

Two, Curious what saw brand you will switch to the first time your Echo or Husky fails. If that is your only metric to change brands the time is likely to come again sooner than later.

Latest posts

Back