So You Think You're a Logger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
In order to be a real logger, you must fulfill a long and exacting apprenticeship. This requires very little polish and shine.
The first giveaway to whether your a logger or a woodtick lies within your toolbox. Keep Rockin'
Gypo

Thats what the wedging ax is for..I see you have the most important tool of all Vice Grips a must for any logger.and the box that has been run over by the skidder to boot..

Later Rob.

Box looks like it has been used, but the tools, have they done any work? Look too clean to me. What's the deal John?

That's the heavy duty toolbox, really the pride of any railroad worker.
Here's a load I cut with my 357G Sno Pro, c/w 16" bar
John

I am a woodtick, through and through, but one thing I know is
that you have to have good equipment, and good equipment
starts with the Lambert Companies, LTD. "Jersey gloves of steel"
Their guarantee goes like this: "If you ever wear a pair out, you
can buy another pair". I swear by them.

Hi Scott, that is my other company. The gloves are made by
J.A.Pan. The best gloves I have worn for the cold, I got from Greffards saw shop. They are leather mitts with a thumb and index finger, great with liners and warm.
John

How much did Dennis charge you for them? The 35 hours of 090 labor you gave him plus 100 CDN for an oil change without a filter?

just wondering what a veneer log was . been in the tree business in fl 15 yrs. just started my own sawmill up. just to play with and because i hate burning some excellent wood. ive seen this term used before but sure dont have a clue what a veneer log is. and what they do with one

Just to set everyone straight on veneer, there are many specs. Generally a perfect cylinder with no external defects, with less than 1/3 heart in sapwoods. Sticks over 18" fetch the biggest $ in hardwoods. Heartwoods such as Oak and Cherry should have no mineral or sap pockets or bird peck or ingrown bark. Knowing where to cut the stem is 95% of the battle. Slicer veneer gets the big bucks, while rotary veneer is a close second.
If you have a decent woodlot out there, give me a call and I will market it for the biggest $ and best job with a light footprint.
Sustain your timber, weed it out and harvest lightly. With an uneven aged stand there will aways be trees we can harvest. Its a rotational thing.
Timber is beautiful.
Gypo

O.K. John, here is a good question for you.
If you had about $250,000 to $350,000 dollars could you purchase a big enough woodlot in your area to sustain yourself on a perpetual basis. I'm talking timber and firewood assuming as well you would mill on site to up the value added and ship out the veneer?
Sustainable yeild of course.
Is there even large enough stands left of good hardwoods in Ontario?

Having that lil pecker pole behind that hunk of iron, is kinda like using a KD 066 with a 16" bar, but then again, last time I checked I make 500$/ tank of chainsaw gas, so I dont go at it too hard, but alas, success has found me out.
Love,
John

Back