Soaking spark arrestor screen in Brake Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, 49 comments about something as elementary as removing carbon from a spark arrestor screen. I'm amazed. Why I quit commenting on political threads. Everyone has an opinion or some sort of input and opinions are like buttholes, most stink.

This forum is like most forums so not unusual at all. On another forum I'm on, 156 comments about the difference between off road diesel and on road diesel. No difference except off road is dyed red, but 156 comments anyway. I didn't even bother to respond on that thread. Waste of time and finger energy typing a comment.

I do that here as well, but especially on political threads.
Guys will swear up and down offload is different. Its not. A refinery makes diesel #1 and diesel #2. The end marketer adds the dye to make off road.

WTF would anyone ever buy a new spark arrestor screen, rather than spend 5 seconds burning off the carbon?
Even if it only cost a dollar?

Seriously, who does that?
It's like saying, "Gee, the bathroom mirror needs to be cleaned. Time to buy a new mirror!"

iu

Someone that has no access to, or cannot be trusted with......... You can use a candle, a cigarette lighter, a paper match, a gas stove, an electric stove (get it red hot, then blow on it), a piece of burning paper, a birthday candle, a votive candle, a food-warmer candle, an oil lamp, a wooden match, a burning toothpick, a kerosene heater, a Zippo lighter, the cigar lighter in your car, the propane burner in your BBQ, the gas flame on your camp cook stove, the propane pilot light in your HW heater, you could toss it onto the glowing coals in your woodstove or fireplace or bonfire chiminea, or burn it off with a flaming cotton ball soaked with alcohol or kerosene or mineral spirits or paint thinner or naphtha or gasoline or acetone or lacquer thinner or MEK or diesel fuel or motor oil or wax

Someone that has no access to, or cannot be trusted with......... You can use a candle, a cigarette lighter, a paper match, a gas stove, an electric stove (get it red hot, then blow on it), a piece of burning paper, a birthday candle, a votive candle, a food-warmer candle, an oil lamp, a wooden match, a burning toothpick, a kerosene heater, a Zippo lighter, the cigar lighter in your car, the propane burner in your BBQ, the gas flame on your camp cook stove, the propane pilot light in your HW heater, you could toss it onto the glowing coals in your woodstove or fireplace or bonfire chiminea, or burn it off with a flaming cotton ball soaked with alcohol or kerosene or mineral spirits or paint thinner or naphtha or gasoline or acetone or lacquer thinner or MEK or diesel fuel or motor oil or wax
You have to be a special kind of stupid to not be able to figure out how to clean a simple screen.
Not to mention the fact that in decades of using O P E I have not once needed to clean one.

WTF would anyone ever buy a new spark arrestor screen, rather than spend 5 seconds burning off the carbon?
Even if it only cost a dollar?

Seriously, who does that?
It's like saying, "Gee, the bathroom mirror needs to be cleaned. Time to buy a new mirror!"

iu
I agree but it is apparent the OP lacks that ability.

my closes dealer is ace hardware and they don't sell parts only equipment. The next dealer is 40 miles away.
My closest dealer took 20 minutes to determine they didn't have it in stock. They had no idea how long it would take to order. Nor did they know how much it cost. I didn't see anyone over the age of 18 working there. I rarely shop there.

I agree but it is apparent teh OP lacks that ability.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to not be able to figure out how to clean a simple screen.
Not to mention the fact that in decades of using O P E I have not once needed to clean one.
Uh, let me tell you what "stupid" is. Stupid is letting the world know you consort with
Kazakhstan whores. Now that really is a special kind of stupid, not to mention filthy, depraved and pathetic.

In any case, thanks to those guys who responded to my original question. I hope you can find a better forum with fewer jackasses. I'm bowing out of this cesspool.
"cesspool" he said. Cesspool! Sometimes it is not possible to count the things a person does not understand, does not recognize, about which he is meta-unaware.

The spark arrestor screen in my MS170 is clogged. Completely clogged. I don't have a torch so I'm going to soak it in brake cleaner, Brakeleen. How long should I let it soak? An hour? A day?

Thanks
I'd say overnight but I've never tried Brakeleen. I keep an old tooth brush in my stuff to clean out tight spots on the saw. Most of the time I just put a little gas on it and scrub it off. If it's thick I might wrap it in an old rag with gas an hour or two then use a cheap brass toothbrush.
Have you thought about a spray can of some type of gun cleaner? They are designed for carbon. I make my own Bens Red. If you have ever changed your transmission fluid you have enough for a lifetime supply of both gun and carbon cleaner plus penetrating oil

My closest dealer took 20 minutes to determine they didn't have it in stock. They had no idea how long it would take to order. Nor did they know how much it cost. I didn't see anyone over the age of 18 working there. I rarely shop there.
So did you think to kindly ask them to wire brush it or burn it off for you while you were picking up a six pack of mix oil, gallon of bar oil, and a new chain?

Latest posts

Back