Soaking spark arrestor screen in Brake Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In any case, thanks to those guys who responded to my original question. I hope you can find a better forum with fewer jackasses. I'm bowing out of this cesspool.
Mixed in with the color commentary you also got some good advice as to why the screen plugged up in the first place. I hope you didn't overlook that.

Mixed in with the color commentary you also got some good advice as to why the screen plugged up in the first place. I hope you didn't overlook that.
Except he never asked for that. He asked a simple question and people answered every random question he never asked or just flexed their ego

@EasyT may not have known the answer, but at least he asked and is trying to do the work himself. There are so many people nowadays that wear Crocks year round because they can't manage shoestrings...

Anyway, the screens usually clog up because of:
  • not running equipment at full throttle (2-stroke outdoor power equipment carbs are tuned to run at idle and wide-open, anywhere between is iffy),
  • putting too much STIHL oil in the fuel-oil mix (STIHL oil is made to be run at the mix ratio in the owner's manual),
  • running too rich a carb setting,
  • and/or too much start-stop-start-stop where the unit doesn't heat up enough to burn the carbon out.
I run STIHL HP at 50:1 and have no carbon problems. Modern equipment is tuned so lean due to EPA regulations even homeowner equipment should burn out the carbon.

Cleaning a screen in order of popularity:
  • burn off the carbon with a torch or jet lighter,
  • wire brush it off,
  • replace the screen.
Regarding members giving others a hard time, that's just the way it is in some lines of work. The tougher the line of work, the tougher the men doing it, typically.

Can you say narcissist?
On a different forum a thread like this but a bit more technical ran well over 1000 replies, some of the pm back discussions were memorable. He was run off the forum on a rail ( not actually banned) and still surfaces on related FB groups, as asinine as ever.

Despite the humidity, the Southeast Coastal Plain has about the highest wildfire potential of anywhere in North America.

Another thought on this. As a Biologist I can tell you that the southeastern U.S. forest was a savanna forest consisting of short leaf pine, wire grass, and turkey oak. When the settlers came you could ride from Raleigh to Savanna Ga. on a horse with no road necessary. The short leaf pines would grow up a few feet and the wild fires would burn them back. They might do this for a couple of years or more, and then one year they would have the energy to shoot up high enough the flames could not kill them.
There are a few state parks that maintain the historical ecology by controlled burns.

Weymouth Woods Sandhills Nature Preserve

Guys will swear up and down offload is different. Its not. A refinery makes diesel #1 and diesel #2. The end marketer adds the dye to make off road.
The dye is about it. On road or clear diesel is subject to taxes off road is not. I remember putting red diesel in my truck years ago. It was evidence of additives or something but don't get caught with it in your tanks now. The fine is quite substantial

Back