Sold my stump grinder to retire, bought another and back at work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I just can not seem to stay retired. Two weeks ago I sold my stump grinding business, which included my Carlton 4012 diesel, an enclosed trailer, client list, and an agreement not to go back in that line of business. Which I had no intention of doing. The tree service company I sold it to, then told me a couple of my longtime clients were companies they really did not want to grind for, so, I could still do their grinding if I ever wanted to.
Well, sure enough, one of those old clients started calling me last week. Then, a spotless, 4012 Carlton, with a 35HP gas engine, showed up nearby on Craigslist, at a very attractive price.
So, you guessed it, I have a grinder again and am back grinding stumps. I guess it is in my blood.
Jeff

I just picked up the "new" 4012 today and have not done anything but clean it up and grease it. I can not grind for another week or two due to recent shoulder surgery. I will report back on how the 2 machines compare after I get back to grinding.
The two 4012's are almost identical, other than engine's, so it should be an interesting comparison.
Both are 2012 models. Both have the Sandvic wheel, both have almost exactly the same hours on the meter, the 44HP Kubota I sold had remote control. The 35HP B&S Vanguard I bought has regular lever controls.
Jeff

Can't keep a good man down m/man, don't work to hard.

Better get used to filling the fuel tank more often & levers ??? what were you thinking LOL

All the best in the return to work :)

I just picked up the "new" 4012 today and have not done anything but clean it up and grease it. I can not grind for another week or two due to recent shoulder surgery. I will report back on how the 2 machines compare after I get back to grinding.
The two 4012's are almost identical, other than engine's, so it should be an interesting comparison.
Both are 2012 models. Both have the Sandvic wheel, both have almost exactly the same hours on the meter, the 44HP Kubota I sold had remote control. The 35HP B&S Vanguard I bought has regular lever controls.
Jeff

Your return couldn't be more interesting, subscribed!
All the best for your shoulder.

first stump grinder back.JPG first stump big.JPG View attachment 494233 View attachment 494233 View attachment 494234 View attachment 494234 Today I went out grinding for the first time since my shoulder surgery. I figured this would be a good addition to the physical therapy I started this week.
This was also my "Maiden Voyage" with this 4012 gas machine. Here are my observations on how this 4012 big block 35hp Vanguard, lever control, compares to my recently sold 4012, 44hp Kubota diesel, remote control. This first job involved a 48" diameter Live Oak stump, with major root extensions.
1. Torque and HP were both less, and somewhat noticible. The lower ratings of this gas machine made a slight difference in grinding time, but not enough difference to be annoying. I completed the job in 1.5 hrs . I think the lesser HP will be much more of an issue if I let the teeth get too worn. The diesel machine could power through a though stump, even with dull teeth.
2. I believe this machine used about 1/4 - 1/3 more fuel than the diesel engine would have used, based on my previous diesel ownership.
3. The lever control was hard to get used to again. I really MISSED the remote control. I have to relearn how to grind standing back around the side of the machine and with a poor view of the cutting area of the wheel. I really missed the remote when I had to squeeze the machine through a 48" wide fence opening while trying to reach the travel lever.
All in all, I am very happy with this lower HP , lever-control machine. I only plan on doing one or two stumps/week in my semi-retirement. It has plenty power to do that work efficiently, and I am sure I will get used to the lever controls with a little practice. This was a good machine choice for me, as it will still handle any size stump quickly, and I only have half as much invested in it.

Thanks for the report m/man, it certainly looks a clean low hour
machine.

I agree with your obs. re dull teeeth, certainly slows them down.

Many thanks Mowingman.

Your first observations confirm what I sometimes think.
All the raving about machines being 4 or more times faster make me sceptical. For sure bigger machines have wider sweep, a bigger wheel and more chip containment and so on. Twice the power/torque may not be the only key.

This is what I found from an european stump grinder manufacturer. I think the numbers are surprising honest if you consider that they want to sell their stumpys.

The last machine is the strongest 67hp Diesel, 78" sweep, 24" depth!!
The first two are the same 35" sweep, 16" depth only different engine,
first one is a kohler 30hp, 45ft lb
second one kubota 30hp, 59ft lb

all belt driven.

Stump diameter is

16", 26" and 42"

r3hwt3cz.jpg
r3hwt3cz.jpg

And now Mowingman, get the rust of that grinding wheel I see in the first image!

View attachment 494235 View attachment 494236 View attachment 494233 View attachment 494233 View attachment 494234 View attachment 494234 Today I went out grinding for the first time since my shoulder surgery. I figured this would be a good addition to the physical therapy I started this week.
This was also my "Maiden Voyage" with this 4012 gas machine. Here are my observations on how this 4012 big block 35hp Vanguard, lever control, compares to my recently sold 4012, 44hp Kubota diesel, remote control. This first job involved a 48" diameter Live Oak stump, with major root extensions.
1. Torque and HP were both less, and somewhat noticible. The lower ratings of this gas machine made a slight difference in grinding time, but not enough difference to be annoying. I completed the job in 1.5 hrs . I think the lesser HP will be much more of an issue if I let the teeth get too worn. The diesel machine could power through a though stump, even with dull teeth.
2. I believe this machine used about 1/4 - 1/3 more fuel than the diesel engine would have used, based on my previous diesel ownership.
3. The lever control was hard to get used to again. I really MISSED the remote control. I have to relearn how to grind standing back around the side of the machine and with a poor view of the cutting area of the wheel. I really missed the remote when I had to squeeze the machine through a 48" wide fence opening while trying to reach the travel lever.
All in all, I am very happy with this lower HP , lever-control machine. I only plan on doing one or two stumps/week in my semi-retirement. It has plenty power to do that work efficiently, and I am sure I will get used to the lever controls with a little practice. This was a good machine choice for me, as it will still handle any size stump quickly, and I only have half as much invested in it.
Nice clean machine,any chance converting it to wireless remote?

"Nice clean machine,any chance converting it to wireless remote?"
I don't think it would be worth the cost, if it is even possible. I remember when I bought my new machines, Carlton folks told me the frame is designed differently right from the start, for any machine with remote control.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back