Sold the MS290 for a MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcatbubba

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased the Farm Boss about a year ago for some basic yardwork and trimming on our 40 acres. We recently put in a wood stove that we use for our primary heat so I've been cutting a lot of firewood recently. The 290 was really hard on my hands after a day of cutting, and the 20 inch bar was way too big for the saw and really bogged down even with brand new chains. So, I sold the MS290 to a guy at work and bought the MS362. All I can say is WOW, what a huge difference. The vibration is hardly noticable, even after a day of cutting and it has more than enough oomph to pull a 20" bar. I spent the entire day cutting a large hickory tree up and the fuel efficiency was superb. All in all, I think this is a great saw, a huge step up from the Farm Boss, and definitely worth the extra $300. The pro saws really are great!

You made a big step up, but I am afraid you will be bitten by CAD for pro level saws. Next you will be drooling and lusting for a MS441 then shortly for a MS660 and on and on. I hope you have an understanding wife, she needs to be! LOL

Steve

Congratulations! :clap:

I made a similar move from a 290 to a 361 a few years ago for the same reasons. Those who have only used a 290 as their best saw will always be dumbfounded at the higher cost of the 361/362 and never realize that it's worth it, IMO.

Just drink the Kook-Aid and enjoy!

KA361C.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased the Farm Boss about a year ago for some basic yardwork and trimming on our 40 acres. We recently put in a wood stove that we use for our primary heat so I've been cutting a lot of firewood recently. The 290 was really hard on my hands after a day of cutting, and the 20 inch bar was way too big for the saw and really bogged down even with brand new chains. So, I sold the MS290 to a guy at work and bought the MS362. All I can say is WOW, what a huge difference. The vibration is hardly noticable, even after a day of cutting and it has more than enough oomph to pull a 20" bar. I spent the entire day cutting a large hickory tree up and the fuel efficiency was superb. All in all, I think this is a great saw, a huge step up from the Farm Boss, and definitely worth the extra $300. The pro saws really are great!

i did the same thing 290 to 362 good choice

I'm crazy about my ms361. I have ran the 362 though, and like it just as good. It's hard not to like them. They will do anything a firewood cutter needs them to do.

You would prolly like the 441 if you like the 362. The 441 is an awesome saw IMO. I hav'ent ran either one modded but I hear they respond well to a muff mod.

Congrats but.......IT NEVER HAPPENED WITHOUT PICTURES!!! :biggrinbounce2:

I'm crazy about my ms361. I have ran the 362 though, and like it just as good. It's hard not to like them. They will do anything a firewood cutter needs them to do.

You would prolly like the 441 if you like the 362. The 441 is an awesome saw IMO. I hav'ent ran either one modded but I hear they respond well to a muff mod.

Use the 362 for some hours, and you surely will notise that it is heavier than your 361! ;)

It isn't heavier than the 290 though, rather lighter, so the OP did well anyway!

Last edited:

That's good to hear, tomcatbubba.
I've had a Stihl 028 for about 15 years and Santa is fixing to upgrade me to the 362. Looks like I really have something to look forward to based on your comments.

That's good to hear, tomcatbubba.
I've had a Stihl 028 for about 15 years and Santa is fixing to upgrade me to the 362. Looks like I really have something to look forward to based on your comments.

indeed you do!
i also have an old 028, as well as fairly new 361, let me say that there is NO comparison, other than the brand name and colors.
i havnt run a 362 but can only imagine with better antivibe, torque, and fuel economy than the 361.. you are gona be thrilled going from the 028 to the 362!

I did the same thing about 6 weeks ago. Loving the 362 and I'm not missing the 290.

i just got a new 361 last week and really like it,,thats why i am going to sell my cs-600p

i just got a new 361 last week and really like it,,thats why i am going to sell my cs-600p

LOL, a bit odd to hear from you, but I assume you have found out that defending the Echo brand wasn't really productive....;)

There also are other issues than how the saws perform!

LOL, a bit odd to hear from you, but I assume you have found out that defending the Echo brand wasn't really productive....;)

There also are other issues than how the saws perform!

yea i saw the light,,,least i know for sure that the 600p will keep up with it,,i still like echos though

Excellant choice, I have never ran the 362, but had a 361 for about 4 or 5 years and loved it. Sadly though a friend of mine squashed it for me, so ended my 361. They are a great firwood saw.

Latest posts

Back