Sold the MS290 for a MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread needed a pic.
attachment.php

Use the 362 for some hours, and you surely will notise that it is heavier than your 361! ;)

It isn't heavier than the 290 though, rather lighter, so the OP did well anyway!

I did notice the weight but also the balance felt good to me. Felt a little better in my hands than the 361 even. The antivibe did'nt feel much different. The power difference was'nt really noticable, it just felt like a different powerband. More like a Husky. ;)

You're right though, I only ran it for 15 minutes maybe. Cut up a medium sized cherry with it. I would love to get more run time on it to decide which I liked better. 361 still gets the nod for me thus far.

this thread needed a pic.

+1
:agree2:
This sucks, my KLR site has some .gif's I would like to use here!?

I did the same last year. My friend had an 031AV him and his dad got bout the same time, but his ignition went out! I know, on an 031Av, imagine that?
So, I got him to turn it into a wall dweller by giving him my MS-290 just over a year old, with the carrying case. He bought an 039 off CL I found and he gave that one to me!
Good choice on the upgrade!
Good move!:chainsawguy:

saws1.JPG

saw8.JPG

I did notice the weight but also the balance felt good to me. Felt a little better in my hands than the 361 even. The antivibe did'nt feel much different. The power difference was'nt really noticable, it just felt like a different powerband. More like a Husky. ;)

You're right though, I only ran it for 15 minutes maybe. Cut up a medium sized cherry with it. I would love to get more run time on it to decide which I liked better. 361 still gets the nod for me thus far.

The balance depends on both the powerhead weight and the bar weight, and how they match - I am sure you know that, but apparently many posters on here don't understand it! ;)

The balance depends on both the powerhead weight and the bar weight, and how they match - I am sure you know that, but apparently many posters on here don't understand it! ;)

They both feel right to me with a 20" ES bar. I never tried an 18" on my 361 but I think it would balance even better than the 20" on that saw. The 362 with a 20" felt balanced and solid. The extra weight did'nt come into play in the little time I ran one. May by days end but I would'nt think so.

It really amazing i was cutting with a little echo and it was WORK! I got my first pro saw which is a poulan 3700 (61ccs). I couldnt believe how fast it was, it took me less then 30 mins by myself to cut and load about half a truck bed (8ft bed). Easy money! I can sell that for $50 and it takes me less then 30 mins, you do the math....

You will love the pro saw style easy maintence and quality built!

Congratulations! :clap:

I made a similar move from a 290 to a 361 a few years ago for the same reasons. Those who have only used a 290 as their best saw will always be dumbfounded at the higher cost of the 361/362 and never realize that it's worth it, IMO.

Just drink the Kook-Aid and enjoy!

KA361C.jpg
Excellant choice, I have never ran the 362, but had a 361 for about 4 or 5 years and loved it. Sadly though a friend of mine squashed it for me, so ended my 361. They are a great firwood saw.
I’ve been debating a bigger saw but I will say I have an MS290 with 20” bar that I modified I will put against a 362 .
I have cut next to a good friend and his 440 magnum and needless to say the 290 hung with his.
I’d only be afraid to try it continuously on an everyday all day thing

I’ve been debating a bigger saw but I will say I have an MS290 with 20” bar that I modified I will put against a 362 .
I have cut next to a good friend and his 440 magnum and needless to say the 290 hung with his.
I’d only be afraid to try it continuously on an everyday all day thing
Your 290 was staying up with your friends 440Mag, now that's one hot 290. What mods did you do to it?

Old thread but interesting regardless... It might help explain why the 029 and 290 saws are still out there. They were hard to kill for one reason or another

I must admit that I would have to see that to believe it. Maybe his friend's 440 Magnum was sick. My 441c-m is not.
I'm thinking the 440 had a mighty dull chain or that 290 is one bad mother. He said he modded it so I'm curious exactly what he did to make it run like that..

Your 290 was staying up with your friends 440Mag, now that's one hot 290. What mods did you do to it?
All I did was opened the exhaust hole up some on the muffler and drilled few 1/4” holes in it then I had to retune the carb. I’m telling you the truth. It came alive. Then I bought some 3/16” carbide de burring bits. Put in cordless drill and sharpened chain and cuts were amazing.
Timberline makes a de burr sharpener also but cordless drill is faster.

I'm thinking the 440 had a mighty dull chain or that 290 is one bad mother. He said he modded it so I'm curious exactly what he did to make it run like that..
Only video I have is before I did the mods
As long as it’s cutting like it does I’m holding off getting a bigger saw for now. I don’t cut for a living either but after hurricane Ida I don’t care to see another tree. If I do get another saw it might be 462 or the 500i

All I did was opened the exhaust hole up some on the muffler and drilled few 1/4” holes in it then I had to retune the carb. I’m telling you the truth. It came alive. Then I bought some 3/16” carbide de burring bits. Put in cordless drill and sharpened chain and cuts were amazing.
Timberline makes a de burr sharpener also but cordless drill is faster.
Well sounds like you got it humming and that chain must have been cutting good. Most 440's will cut way faster than a 290 due to it hp advantage. You did good!!

Only video I have is before I did the mods
As long as it’s cutting like it does I’m holding off getting a bigger saw for now. I don’t cut for a living either but after hurricane Ida I don’t care to see another tree. If I do get another saw it might be 462 or the 500i
Don't blame you. If it's getting the job done and your pleased with it there's no need for another saw. Course you mess around on this site you won't need more saws but you will positively want more saws..

Don't blame you. If it's getting the job done and your pleased with it there's no need for another saw. Course you mess around on this site you won't need more saws but you will positively want more saws..
It’s bad enough I won’t loan it but I will cut it for them

Back